March 28, 2024, 20:18
bigger smaller reset     1020px Wide width Full width Reset   * *

Gildor's Forums

Homepage Facebook Read news on Twitter Youtube channel Github page
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

« previous next »
Print
Author Topic: Importing materials into blender?  (Read 10716 times)
Faby

View Profile
« on: April 18, 2020, 14:34 »

When I extract models with umodel, for materials I get .mat files and .props.txt files. Is it possible to import these into blender somehow?

So far I've always just used the extracted textures and plugged them into my own materials.
Juso3D

Welcome to Gildor Forums

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2020, 06:14 »

.mat are for 3ds Max, for Blender you have to set them up manually.

Blender + Linux User Here.
Faby

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2020, 17:41 »

Yeah that's why I was asking if there was some way to import them anyways, or maybe umodel could be made to output in a material format that blender can use?

As it stands, I think I can write a python addon for blender to interpret the props.txt files that are also generated to automatically build materials from them.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 19:51 by Faby » Logged
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2020, 22:12 »

It's better to interpret .mat, if you want "generic" material support. However if you want to import a particular game's materials, interpreting .props may be better (but it won't work with other games, because these parameter names are absolutely non-standard).
Faby

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2020, 22:28 »

Well I have no idea how I would handle .mat files, but since props.txt are in plaintext, I can work with that in python pretty easily
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2020, 22:43 »

Man, did you ever look into .mat files??
Faby

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2020, 22:49 »

I could not find any info on how they would be interpreted, no
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2020, 22:52 »

"Open with Notepad" would be enough. I didn't expect that having a non-txt file extension may confuse people so much.
Faby

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2020, 22:56 »

I swear I have opened a .mat file as text before and it looked like encoded gibberish so I never tried again.
Faby

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2020, 23:03 »

but thank you. That looks pretty straightfoward, unfortunately it appears to be missing ORM maps and other stuff.
judge_arts

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2021, 23:01 »

Did anybody end up having any luck creating a tool that will import .mat files to Blender in some way? Coding is beyond my grasp but I think there's potential in the idea to reformat .mat text to a readable .mtl that could then be imported to Blender; from there, materials following standard Diffuse/Normal/Spec + AO could be crossmatched to imported .psk files by name. It sure would make porting a lot quicker.
There's probably a much more elegant possible solution to it, though (and maybe one already exists, in which case please share!)
Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: