March 29, 2024, 12:27
bigger smaller reset     1020px Wide width Full width Reset   * *

Gildor's Forums

Homepage Facebook Read news on Twitter Youtube channel Github page
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

« previous next »
Print
Author Topic: Beyond a Steel Sky  (Read 1029 times)
spiritovod
Global Moderator

View Profile
« on: July 17, 2020, 22:23 »

Game: Beyond a Steel Sky (steam page)
UE4 version: 4.26 (latest version), 4.24 (previous versions)

Meshes and textures works fine with the latest umodel build (1314 at the moment). Animations doesn't work in official builds due to ACL compression, thanks to Gildor for confirmation.

Update: Starting from version 1.3, the game is using zstd compression, unsupported by umodel. Use corresponding quickbms script from here to extract assets (4.25 or 4.27, depending on game version).
Update 2: They've switched to 4.26 in the latest update. Also, you can now use specific umodel build (download) with zstd compression support to view assets directly from pak without extracting them.

Update 3: Animations are now mostly supported with ACL 1.3 build from this topic, though you need to extract assets first, because zstd compression is not supported there, like in official builds (support will be added later). Also batch operations for animations may fail, as there are too much animations in the game - simply add them manually via "append" option.

* Clipboard01.jpg (103.79 KB, 2547x1244 - viewed 104 times.)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2023, 18:18 by spiritovod » Logged
cesm1980

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2020, 04:11 »

Yeah i get exactly the same error too, i wonder why it shows animations support on the compatibility table though, perhaps just objets animations are supported?
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2020, 21:01 »

Animations doesn't work, probably due to custom format - there is error "wrong CompressedTrackOffsets size (has 0, expected xxx)" for every animation sequence which umodel is trying to load (example asset).
Checked the file. Unfortunately the provided data is not enough: there's just an AnimSequence which is nothing without Skeleton. So, it would be great to have a mesh, skeleton and animations.
spiritovod
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2020, 00:51 »

@Gildor: Sorry, I didn't know which assets will be required. Updated samples in the first post.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2020, 11:12 »

Checked the file. It has custom animation compression system. I think it uses ACL.
spiritovod
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2020, 16:32 »

Yes, I've found references to ACL UE4 plugin in resources. I guess there is no point in implementing support for it at the moment, unless some big game will use it. Thanks for the check )
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2020, 16:39 »

I guess there is no point in implementing support for it at the moment, unless some big game will use it
Yes, exactly!

Despite BTSS is a classic game, I started my PC gaming with playing its predecessor (and I loved the game) - I wouldn't like to implement ACL unless this will really be needed.
spiritovod
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2021, 20:45 »

The game is using 4.26 in the latest update (it still works fine with everything, except animations). Also, I've added specific umodel build with zstd compression support to the first post. If you'll bump into compression related errors with that build, please let me know.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 21:20 by spiritovod » Logged
cesm1980

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2021, 14:16 »

Apparently the ACL animation tool from Akderebur in https://forum.xentax.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=24009 after the update that supports Life is Strange 2 episodes 4-5 also made support for this game even tough it's not mentioned there, altough i could only test the older version of the game (ue 4.24) so that one has working animations now using that tool, even tough i havent done much testing, but the humanoid characters are working so far, and even a robot i test. Unsure if the ue 4.26 version works or not, if somebody could test that it would be great.
spiritovod
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2022, 18:24 »

Most animations for the game are now supported with experimental umodel build, read the first post (update 3) for more info and current limitations.
Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: