March 28, 2024, 20:44
bigger smaller reset     1020px Wide width Full width Reset   * *

Gildor's Forums

Homepage Facebook Read news on Twitter Youtube channel Github page
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

« previous next »
Print
Author Topic: Coding approach  (Read 269 times)
Tikalm

View Profile
« on: July 29, 2020, 14:52 »

Hello Gildor,

I was wondering what kind of approach you were following to make your code as "future proof" as possible, considering how fast UE4 changes. What kind of rules and conventions do you impose to yourself ?
I'm curious about this because considering how massive your tool has become, with a ton of different games with custom processing needed, it could easily have become a complete mess. I'd find this really interesting to know if you use any design pattern or something like that.

Take care and have a nice day !

Tikalm
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2020, 15:14 »

Hi Tikalm,

Your words sounds too cleaver to myself. I'm never operating "approach" or "design pattern" terms. Could you be more specific with your questions, please?
Tikalm

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2020, 20:12 »

Sorry if I wasn't clear, I'm not an English speaker haha

What I meant was, do you have any tricks to keep your codebase clean and write easily maintable code like you did for UModel ?
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2020, 20:20 »

Hm ... I'm trying to separate every game into #if (game-name) ... #endif, this helps. Some games aren't fitting this ideology, e.g. PUBG - this is one of the reasons the game is NOT supported (not counting that I don't like "battle royale" games).
Some UE4 games using slightly different engine version than released to public, this is handled in GameDatabase.cpp or UE4Version.h, whenever possible.
Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: