April 16, 2024, 13:28
bigger smaller reset     1020px Wide width Full width Reset   * *

Gildor's Forums

Homepage Facebook Read news on Twitter Youtube channel Github page
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

« previous next »
Print
Author Topic: How to deal with unpacked .pak files  (Read 2104 times)
AtoLetGo

View Profile
« on: August 10, 2020, 06:16 »

I'm currently attempting to view the models from Blade & Soul Complete but can't do so easily because of the amount of files, because the game extracts the files from the paks (https://i.gyazo.com/85c14683c86542a901e6f9128ad159b8.png). Attempting to open the directory with umodel just causes it to freeze up.

Is there an easy way to deal with this beside having to re-download the 30+ GB pak files again? As taking the many files and placing them in folders is quite time consuming.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2020, 10:00 »

As far as I know, UE3 games doesn't have any pak system.
AtoLetGo

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2020, 10:21 »

I'm extracting the data from the new UE4 variant which has paks. You can even go to the thread for BnS complete and find a onedrive link with all of them.

I just want a way to load the 48.9k upk files into it.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2020, 10:39 »

I think UE4 version of the game has .uasset files inside paks. You're showing .upk files on your screenshot.
AtoLetGo

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2020, 11:40 »

I think my issue is hard to explain.

If I open the pak files from the onedrive link, umodel works fine. https://i.gyazo.com/c535716aab8c0853d795cf2f08644df2.png
If I move a small amount files into a folder, umodel works fine. https://i.gyazo.com/fc6da17cdfa0ba6d39570029268f74e9.png
If I try opening the directory, umodel freezes. https://i.gyazo.com/838b7c6ca0905ae8f9ecb80def54b66a.png

Is there an easy way to deal with this? Sorry that it's hard to explain.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2020, 11:44 »

Just to understand things - I suppose you're testing different games? Or UE4 version has upk inside pak files?
How many files are in the directory which you supply to UModel?
How long did you wait before saying "UModel freezes"?
Did issue happen with older UModel, or you just don't know?
AtoLetGo

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2020, 11:54 »

Yes, I am.
48,900 files
I've waited 30 minutes. Umodel just stops doing anything.
Also older versions. (Only have tested 3 other versions).

Is umodel freezing because it's being overloaded?
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2020, 11:56 »

I don't know why it freezes. Is there any place where I could download this directory? I don't want to install the game, just need game files for reproducing the problem locally.
AtoLetGo

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2020, 12:01 »

How many files do you want? I can upload to mega as a .rar file.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2020, 12:10 »

Just as many files as needed to reproduce the problem. You may upload everything if it fits e.g. 10Gb of size (I don't know how large this game is).

Possible way of stripping data size.
Copy all files to some new folder. Open UModel with it. If it hangs (e.g. not showing anything for 30 secs), close UModel and move half of files somewhere else. Repeat. If hangs again - you may remove all files "moved" with previous step, and move another half (half of half) files. And so on.
AtoLetGo

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2020, 12:44 »

When I tested smaller file amounts, (eg. 1000, 2000, etc.), it works within a few minutes.

But after going into large sizes, (20,000+), it begins to freeze. My hard drive is still seeking. But umodel stops and starts taking a long amount of time.

After about 30,000+ files it still is seeking. And continues to work. I have waited for 25 minutes so far but it still manages to finish.

And scanning all of the files just causes it to overwhelmed. And pauses indefinitely.

I think I'll just try sticking to using folders and parsing it manually then. Thanks for the help.

edit: The game is Blade & Soul Complete (Korean). It uses UE4.22. Install is 45GB~.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 12:49 by AtoLetGo » Logged
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2020, 13:41 »

Please upload the "version" which is completed in a few minutes. Such a long scan is not good, I have to fix it - I just don't have anything what works so slowly.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2020, 17:55 »

I've performed a test myself. Created 70k dummy files with upk extension, passed the directory to UModel. It took 1.4 sec to scan it, but - I have SSD. Made some optimizations for scanner, it takes 0.4 sec to scan it now.

Could you please verify new UModel on your side and check if it works fine now or not?
AtoLetGo

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2020, 22:00 »

WOW! Thanks Gildor! You're new update makes the files now load instantly. But I think my issue may be because I use a Hard drive, and not an SSD. But it appears to be solved!

Great work!

Edit: Should I provide a video of the difference? The version only took about a second on hard drive. Old one just froze up.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 22:02 by AtoLetGo » Logged
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2020, 22:17 »

You're not forced to use SSD, I just use it because it speeds up my work a lot (have 2+0.5 TB SSD on laptop).
Nice to see that the issue went away. Actually, this is how Windows works with folders having large number of files - my older code simply opened every file game file on startup to compute its SIZE. Now I'm getting size in a different way, and you may see the speedup.

Thanks for testing! No video needed (unless you WANT to share something). UModel prints to console window "Scanned game directory in N.N secs ..." - how much time does it report in your case?
Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: