March 28, 2024, 12:58
bigger smaller reset     1020px Wide width Full width Reset   * *

Gildor's Forums

Homepage Facebook Read news on Twitter Youtube channel Github page
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

« previous next »
Print
Author Topic: XBox360 support  (Read 30076 times)
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« on: February 26, 2009, 19:05 »

I have implemented initial support for XBox360 packages, but it is completely useless:
  • new games (GoW2) uses a unknown compression algorithm for their packages (I think, it uses a proprietary native XBox compression).
  • old games (GoW1) has an unknown texture compression algorithms, and I have not found meshes in these packages ...
Other games I was not able to load at all (umodel crashed in very early stage of package loading).
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 07:07 by esr911 » Logged
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 16:00 »

Some status report about XBox360 GoW2 support
- packages are successfully decompressed using library from XDK
- textures are successfully loaded and converted
- skeletal meshes and animations are not yet ready (meshes contains GPU skin only, should parse and convert it; currently shows skeleton only)

I have used part of XDK to decompress packages. But I cannot distribute umodel with XDK code inside. I am looking for open-source implementaion of LZX decompressor (really, I have found one - mspack, but I have not tested it).
If tests of mspack will fail - umodel will load only GoW1 for XBox360 packages, GoW2 will be unsupported Sad
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 06:54 by esr911 » Logged
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 18:35 »

I have successfully loaded and displayed skeletal meshes from GoW1 and GoW2.
mspack is not yet tested.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 20:06 by esr911 » Logged
zardalu
Gold Sponsor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 23:24 »

Support for Gears of War 2 would be amazing  Grin
zardalu
Gold Sponsor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 05:28 »

When I look at the packages from an ISO of Gears of War 2, they have an extension of .xxx, with a 990303 kb textures.tfc file, which is presumeably the textures for the game. Do I have the right version of GOW2 that will be able to be used with the new version of umodel when it is released? If so, which files contain the skeletal meshes and which just contain static meshes, sounds, etc?
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 12:12 »

Yes, I have the same version Smiley I think, no other version exists Wink
Packages in GoW2 are cooked - meshes are distributed between packages, same mesh can be found a few times in different packages.
Extension is "xxx" instead of "upk", and this means nothing.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 06:55 by esr911 » Logged
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2009, 00:36 »

I have published a new umodel version with Gears of War 2 support. Hi-Res textures from textures.tfc are not yet supported.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 20:07 by esr911 » Logged
Teoma

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2009, 02:10 »

I was published new umodel version with Gears of War 2 support. Hi-Res textures from textures.tfc are not yet supported.
I congratulate you, you  made  umodel  to work with Xbox360 Cheesy , its a pitiful, that only for the your favourite game:)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 02:24 by Teoma » Logged
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2009, 13:15 »

I congratulate you, you  made  umodel  to work with Xbox360 Cheesy , its a pitiful, that only for the your favourite game:)
Gears of War 2 is not a my favourite game - I even haven't seen it Sad I have no XBox360.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 20:08 by esr911 » Logged
zardalu
Gold Sponsor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2009, 18:43 »

Once again, great work Gildor! I notice that when I use the -export option that no .psk files are exported from GOW2, only the low res .tga files are exported. I tested it with GOW1, and export still works with that game.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2009, 20:39 »

Most possible, this package does not contain SkeletalMesh objects. Or you are using -nomesh option ?
Check this package with -list command. And check log for errors/warnings.
zardalu
Gold Sponsor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2009, 23:53 »

I tried several packages, all with the same result. I am not able to export psk/psa from any of them, only tga. It doesn't matter if I use the -noanim flag or not, and I am not using the -nomesh option.

To test, I confirmed that SP_Leviathan_BF.xxx does have skeletal meshes in it (The Leviathan, the Leviathan Tentacle, etc), then I copied it to an empty folder, then I ran umodel -export -noanim SP_Leviathan_BF.xxx, and all I got were the low-res .tga textures.

My notify.log reports:

******** SP_Leviathan_BF.xxx ********

WARNING: BoolProperty "UMaterial3::bUsedWithFracturedMeshes" was not found
WARNING: BoolProperty "UMaterial3::bUsedWithFracturedMeshes" was not found

Again, I don't intend to criticise your excellent work, I am hoping just to be helpful.  Smiley
pixellegolas
Sponsor

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2009, 01:06 »

arent the textures in another folder called textures in another package?
zardalu
Gold Sponsor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2009, 01:13 »

Yes, the I believe all of the high resolution textures are in Textures.tfc. The textures that I have been able to export so far are only tiny, possibly LOD or placeholders or something. Gildor has mentioned that the high-res textures are not available to view yet.  My problem was with the meshes. Pixellegolas, have you been able to export meshes from any of the GOW2 packages? If so, which package?
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2009, 01:20 »

To test, I confirmed that SP_Leviathan_BF.xxx does have skeletal meshes in it (The Leviathan, the Leviathan Tentacle, etc), then I copied it to an empty folder, then I ran umodel -export -noanim SP_Leviathan_BF.xxx, and all I got were the low-res .tga textures.
Again, I don't intend to criticise your excellent work, I am hoping just to be helpful.  Smiley
This is not a criticism Wink This is a bug report. But really, I don't get this bug. Command line
Code:
umodel.exe -export -noanim -notex C:\....\SP_Leviathan_BF.xxx
was produced following files:
Code:
Leviathan.psk
Leviathan.uc
Leviathan_Tentacle_Gore.psk
Leviathan_Tentacle_Gore.uc
Locust_Ithycus.psk
Locust_Ithycus.uc
WaterSheet.psk
WaterSheet.uc
And program output contains following text (at the end):
Code:
Restoring LOD verts from GPU skin
Restoring mesh from LOD ...
Forced export: SkeletalMesh'Locust_Leviathan.WaterSheet'
Loading SkeletalMesh WaterSheet from package C:\1\GOW2\CookedXenon\new\SP_Leviathan_BF.xxx
WARNING: Unknown class "Material" for object "M_Leviathan_Water_Streamer01"
Restoring LOD verts from GPU skin
Restoring mesh from LOD ...
Exporting objects ...
Exported SkeletalMesh Locust_Ithycus
Exported SkeletalMesh Leviathan
Exported SkeletalMesh Leviathan_Tentacle_Gore
Exported SkeletalMesh WaterSheet
I think, you made something wrong.  Shocked

Cooked packages contains low-res textures, which are "forced" to be in this package. This is a trick of Epic's programmers to speedup level loading (I think, you have noticed, that immediately after level loading all world textures have very low resolution, and normal textures appears after few seconds of gameplay). Real textures are placed in another (source) packages, which are not included into xbox360 distribution. When editor was cooked packages, it produced files Textures.tfc and GlobalCookerData.upk, which should be used for hi-res texture data.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 06:56 by esr911 » Logged
Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: