March 29, 2024, 02:57
bigger smaller reset     1020px Wide width Full width Reset   * *

Gildor's Forums

Homepage Facebook Read news on Twitter Youtube channel Github page
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

« previous next »
Print
Author Topic: Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time  (Read 3064 times)
spiritovod
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2020, 14:30 »

Nothing? But in some situations decoding or decompressing related operations with big files along with many other concurrent read / write operations may lead to corrupted file if no verification is present. It may also happens with hdd, but that usually means that it has bad sectors. It's just a suggestion though, since I can't reproduce the issue myself.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 14:32 by spiritovod » Logged
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2020, 14:52 »

I have 2 SSD drives and no HDD on my laptop, and the only difference to HDD is a) silence, b) speed. No issues happened. I'm not going to extract this game, it was just a very unusual requirement for me - to not use SSD Smiley
Arty

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2020, 19:22 »

I've gotten it to work. Can confirm: Static Meshes, Skeletal Meshes, & Textures work. Animations are also supported too, however a few animations seem to deform incorrectly, though that isn't much of a concern. They load, they play, they're supported.
spiritovod
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2021, 16:35 »

PC version is the same as PS4 version (it seems they're identical in terms of resources, except of textures swizzling) and fully compatible with latest umodel.

* Clipboard04.jpg (152.65 KB, 2534x1232 - viewed 192 times.)
peebo
Sponsor

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2021, 13:09 »

Hello. The reason that a certain few models seem to have incorrect deformations isn't necessarily because of broken animations, but is due to the skeletons themselves being interpreted incorrectly by umodel. This has been a thorn in my side recently as my usual means to work around this problem don't work for Crash 4, and two of the animated models I really want to rip have this problem.

You can see this issue at work in the viewer itself (attached). Some of the facial bones are misplaced; for an obvious example, I highlighted a lip bone which is read as on the wrong axis and way behind the head, but a few other facial bones which are harder to see flipped as well. This causes the facial animation to be super wrong. Other Crash 4 models with this problem have issues the same bones.

The other attachment shows that this issue happens to many of the models in Spyro Reignited Trilogy too (much worse in fact, as exactly half of the entire face is flipped). My workaround when ripping misinterpreted models for Spyro was simply using an older umodel version--version 885, from October 2018. For some reason the models which cannot be read properly by current builds can be ripped just fine by 885. So I reason that whatever changed after that build, affected umodel's ability to read these particular skeletons properly.

Unfortuntely 885 is so old that it doesn't support UE4.24, so I'm at a loss as to how to work around this problem for Crash 4.

If anyone has a solution or even knows how I could go about manually solving this problem, I'd appreciate the input. Something I've already tried on the manual side is ripping the broken models anyway and axis-mirroring the bones in blender to the correct locations in armature edit mode. This works great for posing or animating the models myself from T-pose, but the transformations recorded in the ripped animation are still affected by the bones' previous incorrect locations, so I'm not able to do anything with the existing animations. It really isn't ideal for my purposes.

Thank you.

* umodel_2021-04-14_02-55-31.png (159.21 KB, 355x340 - viewed 124 times.)

* umodel_2021-04-14_03-18-07.png (121.45 KB, 474x326 - viewed 111 times.)
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2021, 15:52 »

Please provide me assets which works fine with build 885 and wrong in newer UModel, I'll take a look.
peebo
Sponsor

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2021, 23:03 »

Thanks, Gildor. I hope you're able to find something  Smiley

Here's an asset from Spyro (UE4.19) with this problem:
https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/1M--DnEUBIFR7Oc-FDKgLqQCJL4AAXurG

The Crash 4 models can't be opened in version 885, but if you want one of those let me know and I can provide that as well. Thanks again!
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2021, 23:31 »

I don't have access to this file.
peebo
Sponsor

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2021, 23:33 »

Oh! Sorry, I forgot to set the permissions. It should be fixed now.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2021, 11:25 »

The issue should be fixed now, at least it works well with the provided mesh and its animations.
peebo
Sponsor

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2021, 12:48 »

I checked and yes, it solved the orientation problem for the affected Crash 4 models as well! Thank you so much for your hard work. I left you a donation as thanks. I wish I had asked for help sooner  Grin

This fixed the orientation on both models I intended to rip, though one of them still has a slightly messed up animation. I don't assume that this is umodel's fault as the asset itself is an unused leftover in the game and it could just be that the animation was unfinished Smiley Oh well, I'm very happy its rig is ripping correctly now, for myself and people who want to rip from these two games in the future. Really appreciate your help!
ShiftSike

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2021, 14:13 »

Hello! Sorry to interrupt, but I actually have come to give an update on the recent fix regarding the broken bones/animations from the game.

The latest update does indeed fix the animations in 3D software, however the problem actually still remains.

To be specific, every broken bone from previous versions had the head of the bone placed in the right spot this update, which makes it work very well in all 3d programs, but the bones actually remain completely reversed from what they should be. The reason this is a problem is because if the model is re-imported back into the game, every broken bone will reverse. I've attached an image to show what I mean (Crash's lower eyelid on our right and his upper on our left)

It's actually a perfect opposite, as if you take the pose in Blender and scale it by -1, you get the exact same result (picture included).

I've actually been going through extensive attempts on fixing this on my own with the old export, and now the new one, but it seems no matter what I do with anything, the game just will not accept any manual fix, even if it's literally perfectly recreated. It will only work if it is exported right. I'm super sorry to bother you about it, I did my absolute best to try and fix it on my own for weeks now in Blender, but I've reached the end of pretty much every possible thing I can try, and I think this is the only thing left I can turn to.

I hope this provides enough information, in short, every bone you fixed in the last update still needs to be... 'flipped', for lack of a better word. I'll include some images of what I mean if it helps. Thank you very much btw for what you have already done!

(I should probably mention the orientation problem is present in Umodel itself, and not just a Blender import problem.)

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/729206565240045650/832556169628745768/unknown.png - Broken Ingame Result
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/729206565240045650/832556237211172894/unknown.png - Blender Scale -1 Result
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/729206565240045650/832556325132435477/unknown.png - Broken Orientation Upon Export
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/729206565240045650/832556468715913276/unknown.png - Recreated Correct Orientation
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 14:24 by ShiftSike » Logged
spiritovod
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2021, 15:35 »

@ShiftSike: To save some time, could you try this custom build (link)? And tell, is that problem with bones orientation can be re-created with the sample above - if not, provide your own sample (like peebo did).
Also, did you try to re-orient particular bones in blender manually? Because if you can fix it in blender (or unreal editor), but in-game it still looks strange, there is possibility that the game interprets some default values differently and it's not umodel or blender fault.
ShiftSike

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2021, 16:54 »

Unfortunately the custom build outputs the same result. I'm also not familiar at all with the Spyro Reignited models, so I actually wouldn't know which bones would be a problem (I did check! But I just couldn't tell. If it's anything, it looked like some bones did have the same problem from the best I could tell. Since the recent update effected the bones in this game too, I'd imagine it would be any bones that were changed before.). I did however get files for Crash, the character I've been picturing and referencing specifically (though the problem does exist on plenty of other models in the game). The Problem bones are the Lower Left and Upper Right Eyelid, as well as the right teeth bones for both rows. (His left and right, as per the bone names)

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1zPyxAxIDvZXPdJ_3ILNgIGsvk2SvatVZ

(I'm not really sure if recooking them is a problem. If it is I can try to convince the person with the files to find the original pak, though I can't grantee how long this will take. I am terribly sorry. Does umodel have a way to tell you which pak a file is coming from?)

I also figured I'd give a little bit more information to help, as well as address the last part of that comment.

Through studying these things in an attempt to fix them the past two weeks, I've noticed that for face bones, every single bone is a mirrored and -1 scaled version of the opposite side. This is a constant, and this rule seems to never be broken. HOWEVER, every broken bone when imported back in the game DOESN'T follow this rule. In the older umodel version, they would be placed randomly rotated wrongly around it's parent bone, and usually a -1 scale with the rotation point around said root bone would fix it. (Also to clarify, I'm not insisting the problem is they aren't literally being scaled -1 in engine, that's just the fastest way to achieve said result in Blender.)
With this new update, the bones are now in the right place, but they are rotated the wrong way. -1 Scaling it from it's own origin fixes it in this case. Doing so makes the bones match all the other working bones in said pattern.
Attached at the bottom of this is a picture of what I mean. The first three characters all have working lower eyelid bones that follow the previously mentioned trend, and when imported ingame give working results. The fourth character, Crash, has a broken left lower eyelid bone, and as you can see, it does not follow said trend.

Finally, to what you mentioned last, manual fixes seem to not work. No matter what is done, the game will give an opposite result. Consistently no matter where you move the bone, what it is in game will match scaling it -1 in blender's pose mode (just to be clear, all previous mentions of -1 scaling in this post were referring to edit mode). Normally this would be great news, just make it so the bone give the opposite result from what you want. The problem with that is no orientation I can muster up seems to do that.

Something worth noting though, just so I don't sound crazy: Putting the bones in the exact same place from the old version of umodel vs the new version of umodel wields different results in game. I won't pretend I understand, but it seems to be something to do with umodel's export, as nothing else besides bone position is changed, exact same export and import settings, same filenames and locations, the only difference is the umodel version. (And it isn't bone roll. I've made sure those match the trends too, left side is always z pointing up, right side is always z pointing down)

Sorry for the super long post! I just want to be able to tell as much as I can. Noticing all the model patterns and them just not working in game has been a real motivation killer.

* Broken.jpg (82.95 KB, 2149x557 - viewed 81 times.)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 17:13 by ShiftSike » Logged
spiritovod
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2021, 21:32 »

@ShiftSike: You didn't include skeleton in your sample (/CharacterCommon/Animation/SKEL_HeroCharacter), and also please include a face animation, compatible with the mesh - or any other animation where mentioned bones are actually used.
Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: