Gildor's Forums

Author Topic: identifying editor/unreal version  (Read 876 times)
alex91

View Profile
identifying editor/unreal version
« on: November 19, 2020, 04:37 »

Hello Smiley

A year ago I got my hands on an xbox copy of the cancelled stargate game called "SG-1 The Alliance", which is using (according to the developers) a heavily modified unreal 2.5 engine. It was cancelled back in 2005, so I was pretty excited when I finally got it. In the meantime the xbox version has actually been leaked (not be me) but if you are interested it can be found in the web.
To play it though you will need an old xbox development kit.

I had been using the unreal editor before - so I was very excited to dive into all the assets. Imagine my dissapointment when I realized, that the system folder didn't contain the actual editor. :/ So in my desperation I tried using the unreal editors of various ~2.5 engine games and just one, if I remember correctly, was able to open the texture files at least randomly (no static meshes at all and so on).

But luckily I came across the now called UE Viewer. To my surprise it is actually able to open most things (textures, sounds, static meshes with textures applied etc.). So a big thank you here for creating this wonderful tool  Smiley

I understand that the map files of any given game can only be opened by the corresponding editor, that is usually to a certain degree modified for the game in question? I also understand that the editors, when initialized, load all types of information from various files within the game folder structures.

Seeing that the UE Viewer is able to process most of the assets of the stargate game, and that the tool has a list of unreal games included, I wonder if there is another game (in the UE Viewer list) that used a very similar engine?

Anyway thanks for this awesome tool Cheesy
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
Re: identifying editor/unreal version
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2020, 09:42 »

Hi,
What UModel prints to console when opens a game file? There should be some version information (which could be also obtained with "Scan versions" option in context menu). Having this version would tell which UE2 branch is used, and if it's possible or not to use some "standard editor" (e.g. from UT2004).
alex91

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2020, 00:16 »

Hello Smiley Thank you very much for the response!

Allright - I checked the version using the scan option and also by checking the console when opening a static mesh package.
I got various version numbers. Seems like some parts (package types?) use different versions. Anyhow thank you - if I figure something out (probably not) I will mention it here.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2020, 00:20 »

Yes, most games prior to UE4 used different versions. Usually the largest one makes sense. "Version report" has a "Copy" button right for this purpose Smiley
alex91

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2020, 13:25 »

Hehe - thank you for the hint  azn Alright - this is what I got. The version with the largest "count" shows version 128(80). In the compatibility list there is no game with 128.80 (assuming that 128(80) corresponds to 128.80 in the list). This would mean than, that it's not possible to open the maps using any listed game (if it even had an editor included)?

99 ( 63)    0 (  0)     1    Textures/UWindowFonts.utx
100 ( 64)    0 (  0)     1    Textures/Warfare_PS2Fonts.utx
118 ( 76)    0 (  0)     3    Textures/...
123 ( 7B)    1 (  1)     1    Textures/ShaderTools.utx
123 ( 7B)  221 ( DD)     1    Textures/M10_train_tex.utx
126 ( 7E)    1 (  1)    40   
127 ( 7F)    2 (  2)    32   
127 ( 7F)   34 ( 22)     1    Sounds/M01A_sounds.uax
127 ( 7F)  221 ( DD)     2    Textures/...
128 ( 80)    2 (  2)    37   
128 ( 80)    3 (  3)     2    Animations/...
128 ( 80)    4 (  4)   189   
129 ( 81)    4 (  4)    58   
129 ( 81)  221 ( DD)     1    Textures/StargateGameFontsTex.utx
130 ( 82)    4 (  4)    36   
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2020, 13:50 »

It seems UModel recognizes this as UE2Runtime. Probably its editor will pick the files up.
alex91

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2020, 15:39 »

I installed the UE2Runtime and did the following things: I copied all the assets from the stargate folder into the corresponding UE2Runtime folder (eg. animations files into animations). The system folder I left it out simply to see what error message would appear If I left the the UE2Runtime system folder untouched. I chose a map file and tried to open it and I immediatly got an error message. Next thing I did was to copy the contents of the stargate system folder into the UE2Runtime folder but not allowing already existent files to be replaced (I understand the editor.exe in order to open is dependent on certain files – if I replace certain files, even tough they share the same name and extension, the editor can not be started. (By now you realize, if not already, that I have no programming skills/deeper understand of unreal at all^^)

Anyway I tried to load a map and this time I could see various packages being processed and eventually I got another error message:

CPU: AuthenticAMD Unknown processor @ 2995 MHz with 2047MB RAM
Video: Radeon RX 580 Series (27017)

Bad expr token 47

History: SerializeExpr <- (47) <- SerializeExpr <- (FF) <- SerializeExpr <- (FF) <- SerializeExpr <- (FF) <- SerializeExpr <- (FF) <- SerializeExpr <- (FF) <- UStruct::Serialize <- (Class StargateGame.GameObjective) <- UState::Serialize <- UClass::Serialize <- (Class StargateGame.GameObjective) <- LoadObject <- (Class StargateGame.GameObjective 226610==226610/3031678 226540 512) <- ULinkerLoad::Preload <- ULinkerLoad::Preload <- ULinkerLoad::Preload <- ULinkerLoad::Preload <- ULinkerLoad::CreateExport <- (RedFlagBase0 24079959) <- ULinkerLoad::LoadAllObjects <- (LinkerLoad Transient.LinkerLoad17) <- UObject::LoadPackage <- UEditorEngine::Exec_Map <- UEditorEngine::Exec <- (MAP LOAD FILE="D:\UnrealEngine2Runtime\Maps\CTF-Abydos.unr") <- UUnrealEdEngine::Exec <- FileOpen <- WEditorFrame::OnCommand <- WWindow::WndProc <- WWindow::StaticProc <- MessagePump <- MainLoop

Another map will give another error:

CPU: AuthenticAMD Unknown processor @ 2995 MHz with 2047MB RAM
Video: Radeon RX 580 Series (27017)

Bad expr token 03

History: SerializeExpr <- (03) <- SerializeExpr <- (80) <- UStruct::Serialize <- (Class StargateGame.UnrealScriptedSequence) <- UState::Serialize <- UClass::Serialize <- (Class StargateGame.UnrealScriptedSequence) <- LoadObject <- (Class StargateGame.UnrealScriptedSequence 212497==212497/3031678 212462 215) <- ULinkerLoad::Preload <- ULinkerLoad::Preload <- ULinkerLoad::Preload <- ULinkerLoad::CreateExport <- (TeamScriptedSequence1 3808332) <- ULinkerLoad::LoadAllObjects <- (LinkerLoad Transient.LinkerLoad17) <- UObject::LoadPackage <- UEditorEngine::Exec_Map <- UEditorEngine::Exec <- (MAP LOAD FILE="D:\UnrealEngine2Runtime\Maps\M13A.unr") <- UUnrealEdEngine::Exec <- FileOpen <- WEditorFrame::OnCommand <- WWindow::WndProc <- WWindow::StaticProc <- MessagePump <- MainLoop

My next approach would be to start replacing the UE2 system folder files with the ones from the stargate folder one by one -> if the editor stops working I reverse the file back to the original. But my approach seems (even for me) far too simplistic as I assume there are codependencies between certain system files.

Is it that in order for any unreal editor to be able to process certain maps – the editor.exe needs to be game-specific (the game uses a modified version of 2.5 – so I would need the modified editor.exe the maps where created with and also other system files that might be missing in xbox version the game).

The game-specific editor modifications do not only manifest in the other system files but also in the editor.exe itself? Is my understand (at least to some degree) correct?
Thank you again!
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2020, 15:50 »

It crashed with reading Unreal script data. Check if there's StargateGame file and try removing it.
alex91

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2020, 16:07 »

I removed the file in question and got this error message:

Bad expr token 47

History: SerializeExpr <- (47) <- UStruct::Serialize <- (Class StargateContent.TransportPlatform) <- UState::Serialize <- UClass::Serialize <- (Class StargateContent.TransportPlatform) <- LoadObject <- (Class StargateContent.TransportPlatform 159205==159205/1743988 159169 230) <- ULinkerLoad::Preload <- ULinkerLoad::Preload <- ULinkerLoad::CreateExport <- (TransportPlatform2 24079959) <- ULinkerLoad::LoadAllObjects <- (LinkerLoad Transient.LinkerLoad17) <- UObject::LoadPackage <- UEditorEngine::Exec_Map <- UEditorEngine::Exec <- (MAP LOAD FILE="D:\UnrealEngine2Runtime\Maps\CTF-Abydos.unr") <- UUnrealEdEngine::Exec <- FileOpen <- WEditorFrame::OnCommand <- WWindow::WndProc <- WWindow::StaticProc <- MessagePump <- MainLoop

I than removed the „StargateContent“ file and got this error:

Ran out of virtual memory. To prevent this condition, you must free up more space on your primary hard disk.

History: FMallocWindows::Malloc <- FMallocWindows::Realloc <- 00000000 -3172 FArray <- FArray::Realloc <- -61*52 <- TArray<< <- TArray<< <- UModel::Serialize <- LoadObject <- (Model myLevel.Model129 16852706==16852706/24079959 14443179 6835952) <- ULinkerLoad::Preload <- ULevel::Serialize <- LoadObject <- (Level myLevel.myLevel 16852706==16852706/24079959 84934 3454) <- ULinkerLoad::Preload <- PreLoadObjects <- UObject::EndLoad <- UObject::LoadPackage <- UEditorEngine::Exec_Map <- UEditorEngine::Exec <- (MAP LOAD FILE="D:\UnrealEngine2Runtime\Maps\CTF-Abydos.unr") <- UUnrealEdEngine::Exec <- FileOpen <- WEditorFrame::OnCommand <- WWindow::WndProc <- WWindow::StaticProc <- MessagePump <- MainLoop
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2020, 16:11 »

So it crashes with BSP now, in other words - you can't load a map into this editor.
alex91

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2020, 16:17 »

:'( But anyway thank you for taking your time! Smiley
Jump to: