March 29, 2024, 05:02
bigger smaller reset     1020px Wide width Full width Reset   * *

Gildor's Forums

Homepage Facebook Read news on Twitter Youtube channel Github page
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

« previous next »
Print
Author Topic: Audio Extraction Troubles  (Read 3236 times)
TsukiMoon

View Profile
« on: April 04, 2021, 09:16 »

Greetings,

With the help of some others I am trying to extract audio from a recently-released demo (R-Type Final 2) and have come across some trouble with audio extraction using UE Viewer.  On the most recent version I can try to export certain files from the "sound" folder by picking either PAK version 4.26 or 4.27 but they will end up in an "Unversioned Properties Problem" error message.  This only means that some files get exported but everything comes out as garbled static.

In the folder itself it looks like these audio files are likely WAV files wit h both UEXP and UASSET file extensions.  I am confused as to whether or not it is possible to pull out the audio from these files at all without UE Viewer if it ends up running into these errors repeatedly.

I would love any help if possible at all.
spiritovod
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2021, 16:09 »

If the game is using most recent engine version (and it looks like it does), native sound assets are not supported by umodel anymore, according to this post. Not sure about Fmodel though, you may try it.
TsukiMoon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2021, 17:34 »

If the game is using most recent engine version (and it looks like it does), native sound assets are not supported by umodel anymore, according to this post. Not sure about Fmodel though, you may try it.

Ah, that would make quite a bit of sense to as to why I'm confused with this not working out quite well.  Thank you for your response.  It seems that with Fmodel the export isn't quite what I thought it would be like UE Viewer had it (exporting the original files rather than simply pulling the UEASSET and UEXP files out) and gives me a "Unable to read beyond the end of the stream" error.

Unfortunately that would simply mean for me I would have to stave off my current excitement for the game (particular for sound effects and music) and wait for the official release or for further developments.

Again, thank you for your response.
spiritovod
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2021, 19:48 »

@TsukiMoon: Since it's actually some kind of wav, you can submit an issue at vgmstream github with some samples (like this). Maybe it's already supported, just some tweaks are required.

Update: Apparently, sounds are encoded with ADPCM. You can rename wav extension to adpcm for the sample and it will be playable via vgmstream.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 19:30 by spiritovod » Logged
TsukiMoon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2021, 11:28 »

Update: Apparently, sounds are encoded with ADPCM. You can rename wav extension to adpcm for the sample and it will be playable via vgmstream.

This has actually helped tremendously as I was trying to read through the files with a Hex Editor and was very confused at what I should be looking for and seeing.  For the files I did manage to extract (certain files will cause UE Viewer to simply throw an error) this has actually managed to get me to the files I was wanting to look at.

Thank you so much for your help and insight.
Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: