March 29, 2024, 01:36
bigger smaller reset     1020px Wide width Full width Reset   * *

Gildor's Forums

Homepage Facebook Read news on Twitter Youtube channel Github page
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

« previous next »
Print
Author Topic: Exported texture is different from the viewer  (Read 264 times)
johnwithlenon

View Profile
« on: November 14, 2021, 21:06 »

Hi. I'm having this weird issue. I'm using lastest UE Viewer version (14 November 2021 build 1579). I tried both 32bit and 64bit.
My problem is that the exported texture material is different from the viewer, I tried all the export options but it's still the same:

The console does not show any error. The only working thing is Screenshot.
Here is the sample file (the engine version is 4.21):
<link removed>
« Last Edit: August 25, 2022, 10:25 by johnwithlenon » Logged
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2021, 22:30 »

These topics describes your problem:
https://www.gildor.org/smf/index.php/topic,7569.0.html
https://www.gildor.org/smf/index.php/topic,5989.0.html
johnwithlenon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2021, 03:51 »

Thank you, "FastStone image viewer" solved my problem. I'm so surprised that noesis also got that problem Lips Sealed
(I'm sorry that this problem was described before and I did not search deep enough. I saw this topic https://www.gildor.org/smf/index.php?topic=2789.0 but I did not know the problem is coming from the program to view it because I thought noesis is a powerful image viewer...)

Edit: If I use noesis to view the *.tga/*.png/*.dds, and export to *.bmp/*.jpg (any format that does not have alpha channel), the problem can also be solved. So I think umodel should have an option to export to *.jpg *.bmp maybe?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2021, 06:09 by johnwithlenon » Logged
floxay

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2021, 04:39 »

I'm so surprised that noesis also got that problem

It's not an actual problem, everything works as intended.

Edit: If I use noesis to view the *.tga/*.png/*.dds, and export to *.bmp/*.jpg (any format that does not have alpha channel), the problem can also be solved. So I think umodel should have an option to export to *.jpg maybe?

This is most likely because bmp files usually do not support transparency so it just drops the alpha channel.
As it was previously explained in the posts Gildor linked above; this is usually a bad 'solution' because you will be missing a mask/texture map which was stored in the alpha channel.

EDIT: JPEG is lossy, I can't really understand why would anyone use that for textures or why would anyone want to straight up drop channels from textures in the first place, just keep them as is or split them?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2021, 04:42 by floxay » Logged
johnwithlenon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2021, 05:09 »

I can't really understand why would anyone use that for textures or why would anyone want to straight up drop channels from textures in the first place, just keep them as is or split them?
That's just an option to export to see that the problem is not coming from umodel, because when I (and other people in the topic Gildor linked above) tried all the format but the exported image is different from the viewer so I thought it was umodel's bug.
Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: