March 28, 2024, 19:12
bigger smaller reset     1020px Wide width Full width Reset   * *

Gildor's Forums

Homepage Facebook Read news on Twitter Youtube channel Github page
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

« previous next »
Print
Author Topic: Some noobush question about Mirrors Edge  (Read 11240 times)
muedk
« on: April 11, 2011, 23:47 »

first of all thank you Gildor for umodel!
im still new to UDK so please bear with me!

i would like to rebuild  some parts of a map from mirrors edge in udk. is it even possible? as i can see there are all upks in the CookedPc folder: buildings, Materials,Lighting ect. Can i export them all with umodel and build from the assets something else in udk with the same light parameters/settings? or its not that simple?

i also try to make a batch file for umodel (its placed in a different folder than ME) but it just wont work:
Code:
umodel -list c:/Program Files/EA Games/Mirror's Edge/TdGame/CookedPC/Buildings/B_BD_Skyscrapers.upk
pause
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 00:05 »

first of all thank you Gildor for umodel!
You are welcome Wink
i would like to rebuild  some parts of a map from mirrors edge in udk. is it even possible? as i can see there are all upks in the CookedPc folder: buildings, Materials,Lighting ect. Can i export them all with umodel and build from the assets something else in udk with the same light parameters/settings? or its not that simple?
You can re-import only a few asset types. Everything else should be re-made by hands.
i also try to make a batch file for umodel (its placed in a different folder than ME) but it just wont work:
Code:
umodel -list c:/Program Files/EA Games/Mirror's Edge/TdGame/CookedPC/Buildings/B_BD_Skyscrapers.upk
pause
Replace "-list" with "-export" for exporting, or remove "-list" for viewing. Also, your file path contains spaces, so you should enclose it into double quotes.
muedk
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 01:10 »

thank you for the fast reply!

Replace "-list" with "-export" for exporting, or remove "-list" for viewing. Also, your file path contains spaces, so you should enclose it into double quotes.

yep now works!

You can re-import only a few asset types. Everything else should be re-made by hands.
Yes u were right. im scanning through the upks und i could not find much usefull thing. (or im looking in the wrong files)
i thought i can find the props (AC,doors, stairs,carton boxes) just like Celeste looks like in the viewer. the mesh, textures ect.
is it becouse the different way how characters and static mashes are stored?

Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 01:42 »

Yes, static and skeletal meshes stored in a different way. But both extracted into psk (pskx) format which is handled by ActorX Importer plugin. Pskx static meshes cannot be imported into the UDK directly, you should convert them into ase or fbx format using Max.
stonecoldnuts
Silver Sponsor

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 02:49 »

Mirror's Edge was the first game I applied umodel too, and I can assure you every static mesh, skeletal mesh and texture is available to view and extract. Umodel doesn't, however, recognise the unreal engine map format (though it is possible to load some map files, and view what static meshes are saved using MyPackage). These days, many levels are created almost exclusively by static mesh, with minimal use of brushes, and that's what Gildor meant by you recreating them "by hand".

To view Celeste on her own, you would use this:

umodel -meshes -path="D:\Games\Mirrors Edge" CH_Celeste.upk   (of course, your "path" will resolve to the location of your ME directory!)

This will show you Celeste fully textured and in her t-pose. If you want to view the characters with their animation, you need to use an additional parameter:

umodel -meshes -path="D:\Games\Mirrors Edge" -pkg=AS_AI_Celeste_Unarmed.upk CH_Celeste.upk

Now you'll be to view Celeste along with an animation package (which in this case is designed specifically for her, though umodel will load whatever package you specify, sometimes to humorous effect!).

Ctrl-A will assign the animation to her, and then you can cycle through all of sequences in the package using "[" and "]", with space to play.

All of ME content is found in the CookedPC folder. If you need any more hints where to look for stuff in ME, let me know.
muedk
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 16:46 »

in the meantime i have figured out that ME has a level editor with i can browse the upks, see how the materials are set up ect. unfortunately there is no way to export them to UDK (at least i coundt figure out how to save or export them, maybe im wrong...). but i can do it with umodel;) just take longer to send the meshes through 3D Max, and set up the materials from textures.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 16:47 by muedk » Logged
Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: