Gildor's Forums

Author Topic: Mesh has no LODs - ERROR  (Read 282 times)
kerry000

View Profile
Mesh has no LODs - ERROR
« on: December 30, 2021, 18:43 »

Hello Gildor,

On some assets from the marketplace, trying to open them produces a "Mesh has no LODs" error in the viewer. Seems to happen with every .uasset mesh that starts with "SM_" in the name.

When I "scan content" it shows the mesh is present as a StaticMesh

The particular marketplace asset I first had this error with is "Medieval Props Vol 3 Farm" (https://www.unrealengine.com/marketplace/en-US/product/medieval-props-vol-3-farm)

However, I have now had this same problem with quite a few marketplace assets. What they all have in common is that the mesh names all start with "SM_", such as "SM_Cart_Wheel_01.uasset"

Thank you for all your hard work. Most of the time umodel works great Smiley

kerry000

View Profile
Re: Mesh has no LODs - ERROR
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2021, 18:52 »

Update...

You can try it for yourself with this small asset pack from the Unreal Marketplace:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ymKYEnW5wC73q4EMdlItqIary4oXD3nY/view?usp=sharing
spiritovod
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2021, 18:58 »

@kerry000: Assets from marketplace are editor assets, they are intended to be used directly in Unreal Editor. umodel only supports "cooked" assets, which are created upon compilation of actual game.
kerry000

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2021, 19:07 »

@spiritovod

Thank you for the reply. I really appreciate the quick response Smiley

So, umodel actually works very well at viewing and exporting Unreal Marketplace assets too. I've used it quite a bit for that and it does a great job.

The only time the "Mesh has no LODs" error occurs is with certain assets that have meshes labeled with "SM_" in their name.

All other marketplace meshes and assets seem to work perfectly with umodel. I can load them up, view them, and export the meshes as glTF 2.0 with .TGA textures, for editing in Maya. 
spiritovod
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2021, 19:18 »

@kerry000: It may work for some assets due to similar structure (editor assets just has additional data), but in general it's like I've explained in previous post. So it's not a umodel's error. I can only suggest to export them to fbx via Unreal Editor of respective engine version.
kerry000

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2021, 19:36 »

@spiritovod:

Okay, I'll do that. Thank you for your help. 
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2021, 10:13 »

spiritovo is right - only cooked assets are supported. UModel can open editor assets too - but until some engine version, probably up to 4.23.

Marketplace assets could be opened in Unreal Editor directly. Then it's VERY easy to export them as fbx, obj or gltf directly from editor. So, there's no big point to make them openable in UModel.
kerry000

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2021, 17:11 »

@Gildor

I understand. Thank you for the help, and also for creating umodel.
Jump to: