March 29, 2024, 17:30
bigger smaller reset     1020px Wide width Full width Reset   * *

Gildor's Forums

Homepage Facebook Read news on Twitter Youtube channel Github page
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

« previous next »
Print
Author Topic: Gal*Gun Double Peace (Switch)  (Read 279 times)
fraggerman

View Profile
« on: March 22, 2022, 14:43 »

Hi there,

I found a thread for the old version of this game but the Switch version has a few differences so I thought I'd open a new thread to ask for advice.

Most of the files are cooked and compressed UPKs with names like file.xxx. These can be decompressed using your decompressor though.
The models and materials also export fine from the decompressed UPK using umodel.

The problem I faced are the textures. They are also swizzled like in most games for the Switch. But when the platform is set to Nintendo Switch the textures still don't get exported correctly. They look better than not unswizzled at all but are still wrong. I'll upload the compressed and decompressed UPK, and the swizzled and "unswizzled" texture I am trying to export.

https://mega.nz/file/s4Ii3JhR#latU6x-tRgHWAaksztCL33G04o_nhl41n5VkM7KyzS8

Am I missing a special setting I have to activate for this and/or is unswizzling working differently in UE3? I have tried some scripts that can unswizzle UE4 assets but when I cooked the swizzled texture into a UE4 asset and used the scripts I got the same result as the umodel export.

It would be nice to be able to extract the textures properly especially if any other UE3 remakes make it to the Switch.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2022, 15:13 »

There's an option for selecting "Switch" platform, it affects unswizzling.
fraggerman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2022, 15:53 »

Yes that is what I selected. But the textures don't get exported correctly. There is still texture tiling left in the result. You can take a look at the linked examples in my first post.

Edit: Here is the picture when I select Switch as the platform:

« Last Edit: March 22, 2022, 16:02 by fraggerman » Logged
spiritovod
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2022, 16:03 »

@Gildor: I suppose fraggerman is talking about common issue with non-square astc compressed swizzled textures.

@fraggerman: It's a known issue and actually I have plans to dig into it more closely in near future. For now you can take a look at existing partial solutions, for example from this topic and that one, maybe something will work for you.
fraggerman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2022, 19:37 »

I tried the edited umodel versions from the threads but they export the same result.

The textures in the game are 2048x2048 for the most part and the ones for costumes fill them completely with no whitespace like in this CG so are by my understanding square. They produce the same issue though.
spiritovod
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2022, 01:43 »

Apparently it's different issue - for some reason the game is using different tiling values than usual ones for suggested DXT formats (maybe because of how data is wrapped in assets). Here is specific build with fix for textures (link, updated), no special override is required. It also includes fix for animations from Last Remnant, as suggested in the topic for PC version.

Update: Updated build should support most NSW textures properly for this game.

* Clipboard03.jpg (85.25 KB, 2545x1241 - viewed 87 times.)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2022, 03:35 by spiritovod » Logged
Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: