March 28, 2024, 13:05
bigger smaller reset     1020px Wide width Full width Reset   * *

Gildor's Forums

Homepage Facebook Read news on Twitter Youtube channel Github page
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

« previous next »
Print
Author Topic: Face Animations...  (Read 3875 times)
A_Stranger
« on: April 19, 2011, 14:16 »

Hi,

I don't know if this is quite the right place to ask this, but I was hoping someone might be able to help me out...I'm trying to find where the animations which control the face are.

Example: I'm going through all the animations in BioD_EndGm1_110ROMJack.pcc and there are no mouth movements (using either HMF_Jack.psa or HMM_PC.psa animations). I have all the walking and body movement animations, but there are not any facial/mouth movements.

Is this just bug with either Umodel extracting or with the ActorXImporter script, or are the facial animations located in another file (I have tried looking through a few other .pcc files, but alas no luck in finding any other animations relating to facial animations) Huh??

Any help would be much appreciated.

stonecoldnuts
Silver Sponsor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 17:57 »

Most UT3 games with in-game facial animation use FaceFX, which is an automated solution for doing facial animation. As such, there are no "facial animation files", rather the ability for the model that has a facial rig with pre-defined poses to recieve animation data from a pre-recorded sound file...FaceFX does a wave form analysis of the voice, and matches it to the corresponding mouth shapes, as well as allowing tweaking of the animation generated for best results, such as adding smiles, frowns, blinks and head movement to dialouge. 

I don't think I've seen actual facial poses stored as an animation sequence in any FaceFX unreal engine I've looked through via UEViewer - though you can download any of the gears of war skeletons released officially and "see" the facial animation poses in action...kinda looks weird when you see it, as it just quickly cycles through all the stored poses in exorcist-style! 

So, the faces in ME are rigged and weighted for facial animation in FaceFX...but I've yet to see just the facial anim file, as FaceFX data is not suported by UEViewer. As for importing the character back into say, UDK, and re-activating FaceFX, I'm not sure about that process, so I could be talking out of my hat, so if anyone knows better, I'd be quite happy to be corrected on the matter Smiley
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 18:29 »

Umodel can export FaceFX assets. I've got a report that these assets can be imported into the 3ds Max using FaceFX plugin.
stonecoldnuts
Silver Sponsor

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 18:44 »

Hah you never cease to amaze, Gildor! I must've missed that update - I will have a play with it Smiley

Cheers!
A_Stranger
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 16:58 »

I'll have a go with the newer Umodel, and the FaceFx plugin.

Thanks for the info Gildor and Stonecoldnuts  Grin.
Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: