Gildor's Forums

Author Topic: UE Viewer doesn't export all mesh related files  (Read 749 times)
GaminDude

View Profile
UE Viewer doesn't export all mesh related files
« on: July 07, 2022, 23:56 »

Hello! I am new to this forum. I have been using UE Viewer for a while, to get textures out from a game called Unreal Tournament 3, and so far, I never encountered any issue. Recently however, when I have been attempting to export fully textured weapon mesh/model, visible in UE Viewer, I didn't get all related files (textures, materials, etc.) like I used to, so I don't really know what happened. All I got was skeletal mesh, but since I have tried to export this mesh/model earlier, I know it worked and gave all output files but now it won't do that. I am confused. Any help please? By the way, I am using UE Viewer in GUI version, not command line one.
spiritovod
Global Moderator

View Profile
Re: UE Viewer doesn't export all mesh related files
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2022, 15:32 »

It's probably a user error. Maybe you're exporting to gltf instead of psk, then it may look like this. Regardless, you didn't provide any actual details about assets or their samples, so it's not possible to tell anything specific.
GaminDude

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2022, 21:57 »

I have been always exporting to GLTF 2.0 with success. Either way, I understand that you want me to upload sample file I am having an issue with?
GaminDude

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2022, 21:58 »

I know it worked on models I have been wanting to export, because I have old files that I got from UE Viewer. I just had to re-extract some things.
GaminDude

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2022, 15:57 »

Here's link to a sample file of one weapon, directly from UT3 files - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1h_qtcOZ5PKKol48xpBTzHJqp6HRkUhMU/view?usp=sharing
spiritovod
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2022, 17:46 »

@GaminDude: I'm not sure what you expected, since gltf only contains mesh data, but not materials/textures and it was like that for a long time already, afaik (umodel builds from 2020 are working in the same way). It's already mentioned above, but gltf is not best choice when it's coming to materials, so it's better to use psk instead.
GaminDude

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2022, 16:07 »

The thing I am unsure about is that UE Viewer used to export mesh and files related to it before. I think I did something and the only thing it exports now is mesh itself when I am trying to make it export related textures and materials too. Kind of like not that GLTF containing textures but rather, when I see a mesh in UE Viewer, I would usually go like this: Tools >> Export Current Object - it would then take files related to that specific mesh in .upk package I have opened that has game assets in it so besides SkeletalMesh, folders like Material3 and Texture2D would automatically appear too. I am thinking if I could have had messed up some settings to change what it exports.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2022, 16:11 by GaminDude » Logged
Jump to: