Gildor's Forums

Author Topic: Textures with transparent background in Blender  (Read 157 times)
Kino

View Profile
Textures with transparent background in Blender
« on: January 19, 2023, 02:53 »

Hi people,
I've been playing around with models in Blender, and I'm having this small issue : I am supposed to apply a texture, that is basically text with transparent background, on a model. However, the transparent part of it shows black, and not transparent has it should be. The model comes with the usual DM, NM and SM maps, but no opacity map. Do you have any idea of how i can solve this?
I attached the texture i want to use, even though it's really just text, and a screenshot of how it appears in blender so far, ie with a black background instead of no background at all.
Feel free to ask for more details if required.
Thanks in advance everyone!

* SignfishAB_LocINT_DM.png (155.37 KB, 512x512 - viewed 24 times.)

* Capture - Example.PNG (263.32 KB, 476x369 - viewed 36 times.)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2023, 02:55 by Kino » Logged
Kino

View Profile
Re: Textures with transparent background in Blender
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2023, 00:46 »

Okay, my bad, I found a very clear answer somewhere else today. I'll add it here for archival purposes.
This tutorial explains things better than i ever will https://artisticrender.com/how-to-use-alpha-transparent-textures-in-blender/
The good news is that it's very easy to do. Basically :
- In the Shader editor, create a "Mix Shader" shader. Link the grey "Alpha" dot to its grey dot. Create a "Transparent BSDF" Shader. Link its green "BSDF" dot to the upper green "Shader" dot of the Mix Shader. Link the lower green "Shader" dot of the "Mix Shader" to your principled BSDF green dot. Finally, link the green "Shader" dot of the "Mix Shader" to the green "Surface" dot of the "Material Output" box.
Hope it's reasonably clear, but I can't recommend the tutorial enough anyway.
Thanks y'all!
Jump to: