March 29, 2024, 03:24
bigger smaller reset     1020px Wide width Full width Reset   * *

Gildor's Forums

Homepage Facebook Read news on Twitter Youtube channel Github page
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

« previous next »
Print
Author Topic: Last Remnant +Applying textures in 3ds max  (Read 8505 times)
Lerked

View Profile
« on: July 02, 2011, 18:31 »

So im trying to get a model from last remnant ported for a game, i extract all the files relating to the model and import them with ActorX Import to 3ds max 8

However, when i try to apply textures i can only seem to apply one texture to the entire model, there is only one mesh file for this model,
which i have to guess means that i cant select a specific area to apply textures to, so the process goes like this

the third picture is what he looks with all textures applied in umodel

so what im wondering is if theres a different way to get the textures onto the model in 3ds max, is there no way to save/export the mesh as it looks in umodel directly?

If that is not possible, is there any way to get this model working or is it impossible due to the fact that the mesh is not split up into smaller parts?

Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 19:06 »

so what im wondering is if theres a different way to get the textures onto the model in 3ds max, is there no way to save/export the mesh as it looks in umodel directly?
ActorX Importer should apply all textures automatically in the same way the mesh is looks in umodel. If no - you're using importer incorrectly. Try playing with Settings/Materials options, be sure to check "Recurse" options there.
Lerked

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 19:41 »

yup it works now, i tried that before but i didnt have recurse checked and that made all the difference, thanks!
pixellegolas
Sponsor

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 04:52 »

the reason why it does not work when you do it manually is because you apply 1 texture to entire model. Most models have a so called sub-material setup witch means a material with more slots. So one material can contain slots for head, body etc. If you just drag 1 texture onto model you loose this sub-material setup so always make sure to press M and then the material finder to see what slots there are.

I know umodel often does this automatically but sometimes not. So make sure you know about this process too
Lerked

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 15:46 »

yup, i knew 'why' it was applying the texture to the entire model, but not the way to fix it :p

but i got another problem again, however now its after ive exported the model with the HoN (heroes of newerth) 3ds max exporter so
im not expecting you guys to necessarily know whats wrong here since its unrelated to this forum, but if you had any idea of what went wrong it'd be great

Left: export plugin settings in 3ds max, -  right: in-game shot with bones enabled (the mesh is completely invisible even when i apply a dummy texture)
(side note, is there any way to 'unwrap' the model texture in 3ds max?)

I know its possible to export models from unreal based games to HoN with umodel/actorx, theres a guy whos imported a dozen models and he was writing a guide for it but never finished  (he stopped playing so i cant even ask him for help T_T)
so ive been trying to follow it as much as possible but the models he export are structured differently
(the mesh comes in like 10 different parts and he textures them individually in the materials editor, while i used umodel/actorx to skin it automatically)

again, im not sure if you can, or even want to help with stuff like this but i figure theres no harm in posting

edit: uploaded wrong picture T_T
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 18:22 by Lerked » Logged
ReDsKiN

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 17:38 »

HoN does not like multi-material objects. Have to seperate each (As Rean did it) and apply textures.

This is what I got from outputting using separate material files.

^Just the bindpose and diffuse maps because I was too lazy for detail
Use the HoN forum next time Tongue
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 17:45 by ReDsKiN » Logged
Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: