March 28, 2024, 19:48
bigger smaller reset     1020px Wide width Full width Reset   * *

Gildor's Forums

Homepage Facebook Read news on Twitter Youtube channel Github page
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

« previous next »
Print
Author Topic: 2 problems while dealing with the materials  (Read 2785 times)
Wisher

View Profile
« on: August 29, 2011, 15:00 »

Problem 1:

When i open an upk package which contain a single MaterialInstanceConstant object from the UE Viewer, the 'M' key can show all the parameters of that MIC, which is fairly complex, include at least 10+ paras(Texture para, Scalar para, Parent etc.); but when i export this MIC, the exported .mat file only have very few parameters, most of the time it only left Diffuse, Normal and Specular paras. It's seems that the umodel can understand and render the MIC in UE Viewer, but it strip most informations from MIC when exporting it, is this intentional or a bug?

Problem 2:

The problem 1 is not critical, cuz I can still try to re-create the MIC based on the information that UE Viewer provided to me. but when I create a new MIC in UDK, I found it's far more difficult than I thought, cuz the material info which the UE Viewer provided have a array-like structure, such as:

Material3 'body'
Textures[0] = check_n
Textures[1] = Noise_Glass

but when u create a material in UDK, it's definitely not a array-like form, it more like a Kismet chart graph, and I can't figure it out which node correspond to Textures[0], which to Textures[1]... etc. so I'm done here...

I know the problem 2 is a bit out of range of umodel, but if anyone can help or provide some tutor links I'll be much appreciated.

Thank you.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 15:07 by Wisher » Logged
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 15:22 »

Hi, there are good questions.

It's seems that the umodel can understand and render the MIC in UE Viewer, but it strip most informations from MIC when exporting it, is this intentional or a bug?
Umodel exports information is such amount which could be understood by ActorX Importer script. I'm not exporting scalar and vector parameters because importer will not do anything with them.
but when u create a material in UDK, it's definitely not a array-like form, it more like a Kismet chart graph, and I can't figure it out which node correspond to Textures[0], which to Textures[1]... etc. so I'm done here...
Umodel interprets texture parameters from UE3 materials and then trying to recreate simple material with them. It's very complex task to analyze full UE3 material structure (but it is possible).
Wisher

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 15:50 »

Thx for the quick reply  Grin

You say it's a very complex task to analyze the full UE3 material structure, but apparently ur UE Viewer did a good job here, the quality of most rendered MIC is very close to the final product, so i guess u have a solid knowledge about this area, that's why I hope i can get some valuable information from ur reply.

To put things simple: I want re-create a material, and i have all the required textures, and of course the material structure info from the UE Viewer, but the bad thing is: I can't fully digest the UE Viewer info to make me re-create that material in UDK. so can u provide some useful links to help me understand this? Thank you very much. Cool
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 15:59 »

In common case, it is not possible to completely recreate UE3 material from information provided by umodel. Materials has a lot of parameters and functions, so there is only one way to look inside - is to load it into UnrealEd.
You can make only near approximation of how material look in the game (with diffuse, specular, opacity, bump etc).
Wisher

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 16:20 »

"...Materials has a lot of parameters and functions..."

Yeah, i'm aware that, since ur UE Viewer can show those parameters too, and I learned from the tutorials of UDK that material is a complex, composite object.

Guess I have to dig more info from the UDK documentations. Thx for you help, gildor. Keep the good work! Smiley
Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: