March 29, 2024, 13:36
bigger smaller reset     1020px Wide width Full width Reset   * *

Gildor's Forums

Homepage Facebook Read news on Twitter Youtube channel Github page
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

« previous next »
Print
Author Topic: Blacklight: Retribution  (Read 34969 times)
Zaphinine

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2015, 10:19 »

Blacklight: Retribution textures are now supported. Fortunately the game uses a bit modified texturing system from Tribes Ascend. Note that there was a bug preventing Tribes textures to appear in UModel, it should be fixed now.

IMPORTANT

1. You must override game to "Tribes Ascend" (Tribes 4), if you prefer command line - use -game=t4 for that. Probably I'll change this override later, but for the moment you should say to UModel that this is Tribes game. Both games has no changes in the engine, except that they use "Redux" system (from Substance?).

2. You must set root game directory to include both "CookedPCConsole" and "Redux" directories. If you'll set it to "Cooked...", UModel will not find "Redux" and textures will not work. In my case (perhaps in everyone's case) you should set root to "BlackLight Retribution/FoxGame".

Note that this game has unusual alpha channel use in diffuse texture, so if you'll see that parts of the mesh are missing in viewer, press "M" key to see mesh without textures - most likely these parts will appear (but untextured).

Also my game installation has only 1 data.hdr.rtc file, all other rtc files did exist during install process but were merged into a single rtc file and then removed by patcher.

I did a very little testing, so there could be some issues.

I have followed all of these instructions. I have no idea why this isn't working. Is this game no longer supported?

I first download the latest version (Win32). Afterwards, I launch it. Selecting the proper directory (C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/blacklightretribution/.../FoxGame/" and switching the override settings to "Unreal Engine 3" and "Tribes: Ascend", I then press "Okay".

Aftewards, I can navigate down the path to "FoxGame/DLC/PCConsole/" and so on. Once I find a UPK file I want to open, it either displays a weird distorted image, a windows-logo colored block, or just some random black and white floating textures. I have tried pressing the M button, and that did nothing.

I have tried this on both the old game files (pre-parity patch - yes I still have them) and new game files (post-parity patch). I have no idea what the problem is or how to fix it. Could you provide any help?

Example of trying to open armor. Tried a bunch of files. All give similar results on both versions. Looking to extract the "Beta Head" trophy and I don't think I can get anywhere at this rate...
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2015, 12:14 »

1. "Windows logo colored textures" - UModel can't detect which textures to apply and applies some "default texture".
2. On your screenshot I see "Masked" material. It seems that opacity texture is not simple, and it is displayed wrong. This happens often with various games, and you may disable opacity by switching to alternative (more simple) renderer with Ctrl+G key.

This situation was discussed many times on this forum, probably in FAQ too. If you want to see this mesh fully textured, you should recreate materials by hands in Unreal engine, 3ds Max or other application.
Zaphinine

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2016, 06:09 »

I have also seen this around this thread as well. I've tried every solution posted but I just can't figure out how to get this to work.

Maybe I have installed it wrong? Here are the steps I have taken to try and get this to work:

1 - Download umodel_win32.zip (I run 64 bit OS but there is no 64bit version and Blacklight: Retribution also has no x64 version)
2 - Extract contents of umodel_win32.zip to BLR installation (C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/blacklightretribution/FoxGame)
3 - Run UModel.exe
4 - Check "Override Game Detection" and set settings to "Unreal Engine 3" and "Tribes: Ascend"
5 - Press "OK"
6 - Browse to "DLC/PCConsole/<files>"

Upon opening them all I get is either a weird texture as shown previously, a box with some metal texture on it, or the windows box. I don't know what I am doing wrong here.
CTRL + G doesn't seem to be helping at all either. I don't even want the texture - I just want the model.

Video link showing exactly what I am doing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TCFxniVlhM&feature=youtu.be
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 06:32 by Zaphinine » Logged
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2016, 12:33 »

I see you've missed very basic things of UModel use. Watch these videos - http://www.youtube.com/user/gildororg/videos
(ignore command line part of tutorial, but you really need to watch how to use UModel ...)
All most important commands are duplicated with UI, but I feel you didn't look at menus at all.

In addition to those:
- in UModel's menu, check "Navigate | Include meshes" to show only meshes.
- in select package UI, you may execute "Tools | Scan content" to see which packages has models, animations etc.
glarkon

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2016, 05:01 »

No longer works after update, returns error:

zlib uncompress(321303,1048576) returned -3
appDecompress:CompSize=321303 UncompSize=1048576 Flags=0x1 <- FindReduxTexture <- UTexture2D::GetTextureData:TX_Crow_NOR <- Upload2D:Texture2D'TX_Crow_NOR' <- UTexture2D::Bind <- GL_NormalmapShader <- UUnrealMaterial::SetMaterial:MT_MetalCrowbar <- CUmodelApp::Draw3D:Obj=Material3'MT_MetalCrowbar' <- CApplication::Display <- VisualizerLoop <- Main:umodel_version=422
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 05:05 by glarkon » Logged
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2016, 14:02 »

zlib error "-3" means corrupted data. That could mean:

1) you have corrupted data (highly unlikely)
2) Redux has replaced zlib with something else
3) some encryption was added
4) metadata formats has been changed (also unlikely, UModel would crash in a different place then)
Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: