March 28, 2024, 13:49
bigger smaller reset     1020px Wide width Full width Reset   * *

Gildor's Forums

Homepage Facebook Read news on Twitter Youtube channel Github page
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

« previous next »
Print
Author Topic: Prepare to support BioShock Infinite?  (Read 52879 times)
MegaScience

View Profile
« on: March 23, 2013, 21:33 »

Hello. Several years ago, I used this program for documentation on BioShock Wiki. It was very helpful and provided us with many resources. Now that BioShock Infinite is a few days from release, I was curious if support could be planned to be added whenever there is time free to do so? I've even heard Steam has begun pre-loading pre-orders of the game for users, although I assume there would be problems testing with those files. Of course, you don't know the challenges in attempting this until you can get your hands on it, so you wouldn't tell me Yes or No now, but I'm hoping support can be made if possible.

I will say that they mentioned BioShock Infinite is 3 discs on PC because they provide higher quality textures and such for PC users with flexibly rigs. I'm not sure if this is a good or bad thing for this.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 21:49 »

I'm planning to support this game (PC version) if I'd have free time. Next Wednesday (March 27) I'm moving to another country (UK), will work in Ubisoft Reflections now. Relocation is very hard thing to do, so I have no idea when I'll have free time - perhaps immediately after move, perhaps only in a few months. Anyway, it would be nice if someone will make me a Bioshock Infinite gift on the Steam instead of just providing me a few files from the game Smiley I can't order the game by myself, our family budget is quite narrow now.

Unfortunately I can't guarantee that the game will be supported - it's quite possible that the game engine received too much changes. Support for 1st Bioshock version was quite hard task and required a lot of time. But definitely I'll try to support it.
MegaScience

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 21:54 »

Ah, understandable. Thanks. This is your Steam, right? I will see if I can find someone who can get you it. Smiley Even if you can't extract it, it'd be nice to have if you want to play something. xD
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 22:08 »

Ah, understandable. Thanks. This is your Steam, right?
Yes, it's me Smiley
Thank you for understanding.
theoneman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 03:31 »

I am just curious, you said you would release the source code for UE Viewer once you got employed?

Will you publish an umodel's source code?
Yes I will. I know - I've promised this for more than one year, but I will do it. Currently umodel acts as major position in my "resume". I'll publish umodel's source code  as soon as I can after get hired.

So instead of investing more of your time with UE VIEWER, you should do a public release so other people can add support for Bioshock Infinite or any other UDK game that they choose?

Would you consider doing this? I think your tool is awesome! Great job anyhow Smiley
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 03:36 by theoneman » Logged
MegaScience

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 07:55 »

Then again, it is his program, and he has full knowledge of it. We'd be dependent on his knowledge, and he'd know best how to do some things. Basically, I think we'd be better off letting him do the support if possible.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 09:29 »

So instead of investing more of your time with UE VIEWER, you should do a public release so other people can add support for Bioshock Infinite or any other UDK game that they choose?

Would you consider doing this? I think your tool is awesome! Great job anyhow Smiley
I'll publish the source after relocation. Currently I'm too busy.
howfie

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 23:47 »

congratulations gildor.

P.S.
I was extracting files from the PS3 version of the game using samples someone sent me, which just contains ZLIB archives. was looking through some of the output and saw some references to "unreal" and oh... this is an unreal game... screw it... let gildor do it Cheesy ha ha ha ha.
Nobby76

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, 03:38 »

Hey gildor, so you are moving to my part of the world now.. Where about in the UK are you moving ( just general area, no need for exact address lol) I am currently Very close to Birmingham.

I can hardly wait for you to have a look at this game. i really do hope you can do something with it..
Not that im condoning it, but i noticed this game has already appeared on a few sites for download, even th

Anyway good luck with your relocation, perhaps one day we can have a beer together and laugh about that time you unpacked Bioshock 3 Smiley
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 08:40 »

I'm moving to Newcastle-upon-Tyne.
Nobby76

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 13:56 »

I'm moving to Newcastle-upon-Tyne.
Oh shit, good luck with that lol..

In all seriousness. Newcastle is a typical working mans town, so like a lot of the other big towns like that, you do get a lot of poverty in areas. Then again you also get some nice areas too. Its just a case of staying as best you can in the good areas and not get dragged into the rougher areas of town as thats when you can get people offer to stab you for 1 pound lol.
The nice parts of Newcastle are really nice, but the rough parts are not quite so awesome. But im sure you will love the experience anyway..

And Newcastle. a little bit more north than me but still doable by jumping on a train or bus.. We might get to have this beer yet Smiley
howfie

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2013, 09:33 »

lol, you hear that gildor? u gonna get robbed and butt-raped by a bunch of hoodlums in your new hometown Tongue. oh lovely huh ha ha ha ha?
MegaScience

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2013, 10:30 »

Ah Gildor, BioShock Infinite uses a different file structure than the past games. They did mention the PC version would be given higher definition models, textures, etc. for the increased capabilities of PCs. Instead of a majority of the files being in a bulk file or two, they seem partitioned out to a large number of .xxx and .tfc files. There are also .bin files, .uncompressed_size files, a .manifest file, and a .txt file for version. Not sure if this would help or hinder progress on it, but here's to hoping.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 13:40 by MegaScience » Logged
howfie

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2013, 13:17 »

if someone sends me sample PC xxx and tfc files on xentax i will take a look at them. i have a ps3 unpacker but model format on ps3 is difficult. on ps3 tfc files contain zlibbed texture data and xxx files contain zlibbed and uncompressed files (models, materials, game data).
MegaScience

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2013, 01:21 »

When I try to look up all these different filetypes, I end up back here. xD This might be easier to extract than the last game... Or not, but...

I do have one question: Why are animations not supported in similar games? BioShock 1/2 didn't I believe, and I got linked to Dishonored where you said it wasn't supported. Is there a specific reason you could say?
Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: