March 29, 2024, 11:33
bigger smaller reset     1020px Wide width Full width Reset   * *

Gildor's Forums

Homepage Facebook Read news on Twitter Youtube channel Github page
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

« previous next »
Print
Author Topic: Bioshock 2 models crashing Umodel  (Read 6977 times)
Darkman 4

View Profile
« on: November 24, 2013, 22:27 »

I'm having a problem with loading models. Umodel starts off fine, but bombs out with "BindFramebugger error 501" whenever I get to a certain model. Here's an example of an error I get:

******** Builds/Binaries/ShockGame.U:  StaticMesh'hacktoolgun_ammopickup' ********

ERROR: BindFramebuffer error 501
CFramebuffer::Use <- BloomScene <- Display <- VisualizerLoop <- MainLoop <- Main

The model is different, but the error and the sequence of events that leads to the crash is the same. The weird thing is, I can view Bioshock Infinite models just fine. It's only BS2 that's causing these crashes. I'm using an Nvidia GTX 660 TI and have updated to the v331.82 drivers released a few days ago, so drivers shouldn't be causing this problem.

I have it set up so that I'm using a simple batch file in the root "SP" folder. The batch file is:

umodel.exe ShockGame.U

I've tried adding some parameters, like -noanim, but as expected, they don't stop the crashes.

Any help?
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 22:37 »

That's definitely drivers problem. It's caused by inability to initialize rendering buffer for postprocessing. Unfortunately I can't add workaround now (to work without bloom etc) due to lack of free time.

I'm also having troubles with latest NVidia drivers - for my work I'm using some NVidia software which requires "professional videocard". My GTX 660 was considered professional enough 2 months ago, that software worked fine. But after driver update this program doesn't work anymore, my videocard occasionally became not enough for functionality (despite program itself wasn't changed, only drivers).
Darkman 4

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 22:43 »

That's definitely drivers problem. It's caused by inability to initialize rendering buffer for postprocessing. Unfortunately I can't add workaround now (to work without bloom etc) due to lack of free time.

I'm also having troubles with latest NVidia drivers - for my work I'm using some NVidia software which requires "professional videocard". My GTX 660 was considered professional enough 2 months ago, that software worked fine. But after driver update this program doesn't work anymore, my videocard occasionally became not enough for functionality (despite program itself wasn't changed, only drivers).

Hmm, I guess I'll just roll back my drivers to a stable one. What drivers did you use that were last worked well with Umodel? I don't want to have to go back too far.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 23:15 »

Hmm, I guess I'll just roll back my drivers to a stable one. What drivers did you use that were last worked well with Umodel? I don't want to have to go back too far.
Umodel works fine for me. I've told about another software (named "IRay", that's a professional raytracing system for NVidia videocards).
Darkman 4

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 23:22 »

Umodel works fine for me. I've told about another software (named "IRay", that's a professional raytracing system for NVidia videocards).

Oh ok. Shit. Well I guess I'll just rollback.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2013, 23:23 »

Please tell me if rollback would help.
Darkman 4

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 00:18 »

Damnit. I rolled back to 314.07 and 306.97, but I'm still getting the same error.

I have a cheap laptop with an onboard ATI card, so I could still probably view the models. Just need to transfer the essential files, which would take a while. Better than nothing.
rroobboo

I am the Great Cornholio! Hhh...Hhh...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2013, 01:09 »

-notext command help when it crushes because of bad rendering. It won't show you textures obviously, but at least will see the meshes
Darkman 4

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2013, 03:04 »

Ok, I tried it with an ATI card that has the latest drivers, but I got the exact same error.

I'm starting to suspect that this error is happening because of something in Umodel not liking the Bioshock 2 high-res textures. I opened up ShockGame.U without the proper texture file, and it worked fine, but with blurry textures because it didn't have the high-res textures. However, when I added the "DynamicBulkFileTexturesDLC4_(x).blk" files that store the hi-res textures for the models, the same crash as before happened.

I have the Steam version. Perhaps that's causing a problem? I might, just might, be able to dig up an old GFWL version and see if it works there, but I think I might've already uninstalled it.

Whenever I first open up the package, I get this message that appears in the log:

******** ShockGame.U ********

Struc property ParameterValue expected type FLinearColor but read Plane
Bioshock LOD: missing 12 indices
Bioshock LOD: missing 12 indices

Probably unrelated, but it's always good to have more information.

EDIT: Don't have the GFWL version of BS2 anymore.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 03:39 by Darkman 4 » Logged
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2013, 17:18 »

I've reproduced the same crash on my laptop. Interestingly, it works fine with integrated Intel videocard. I'll check this as soon as I can.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2013, 18:19 »

I've found the problem and fixed that. That was a problem with compressed textures - I sent textures to video card providing buffer size for all stored mipmaps (these values was taken from texture objects). Some video cards (NVidia, ATI) has rejected such textures because buffer was larger than expected - this was caused black textures, and perhaps crash. Now I'm computing real texture size, so textures are displayed correctly, and crash have gone. Side effect of these changes - exported dds textures for Bioshock are smaller now.
Darkman 4

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2013, 03:27 »

Nice job! It's fixed most of my problems. However, some of the models in ShockGame.U that's found in Bioshock 2\SP\Binaries appears to show corrupted textures for some of the models.

I've attached a picture of one of them that has corrupted textures. The model is supposed to look like this. I checked the log as it was running, and it loaded the right texture. However, the actual textures appear to be corrupt. Here are the textures if you want to take a peek at what they look like.

[вложение удалено Администратором]
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2013, 08:23 »

I just see that umodel applied wrong textures. That's good because umodel tries to "guess" material, it doesn't perform full material computation. It works for most cases, but not always.
Darkman 4

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2013, 09:40 »

Some of the other textures looks pretty weird. Here's an ice texture from the same package that looks like it was read wrong by Umodel.

EDIT: Some more evidecne that something is wrong with how Umodel is reading the materials used in the version of ShockGame.U found in the SP folder:

Here's a mesh of a rocket in the version of ShockGame.U found in the MP folder:

and the one found in the SP folder:

The MP version has the right textures, but the SP one has messed up ones.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 10:11 by Darkman 4 » Logged
Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: