March 29, 2024, 12:33
bigger smaller reset     1020px Wide width Full width Reset   * *

Gildor's Forums

Homepage Facebook Read news on Twitter Youtube channel Github page
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

« previous next »
Print
Author Topic: SWAT 4 Animation  (Read 17205 times)
Dijon

View Profile
« on: July 26, 2010, 20:19 »

I've just started using the UDK, and wanted to say thanks to Gildor for his great tool.

I noticed that animation for SWAT 4 is not supported and I was wondering if it would be difficult to add.  If it wasn't too much work, it would be very much appreciated.  If it's too complicated, no worries, and thanks again for all of the work that you have put into this.

-D
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 20:27 »

Umodel has no special code for "SWAT 4" - this game is supported because package and mesh formats are the same as in original UE3.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 20:32 »

It looks like SWAT 4 is a good game. I like Irrational Games products.
Also it is an UE2, and this fact increases possibility to support animations from this game.
Send me a few (20-80Mb total) sample files (it whould be good if you will send me a meshes with textures, so I can take a screenshots etc Wink)
Dijon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 23:02 »

Thanks, Gildor,

I sent you a PM with a link to some files.  Any help would be very much appreciated.

-D
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 00:41 »

Thanks for files.
It looks like SWAT 4 uses Tribes: Vengeance engine (like Tribes and Bioshock).
Send me please game executable + dlls and all u-files.
Dijon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 05:25 »

PM sent with link to files.  Thanks again.

-D
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 11:38 »

I need game version information.
There is a tool "pkgtool" which scans whole game for file versions.
http://www.gildor.org/smf/index.php/topic,308.msg2979.html#msg2979
I need its output.
Dijon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 17:09 »

Gildor,

I sent you a PM with the pkgtool output.  Sorry for the delay (8-hour time difference).

-D
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 18:40 »

Thank you for your cooperation Wink

I've made support for SWAT 4 animations, but unfortunately it is not possible to use it - Tribes 3 and SWAT 4 has almost the same engines (difference with animations only), and overlapping file versions - so umodel is not able to detect SWAT packages (it will detect that packages as "Tribes 3").

I need some addition to umodel core to allow to select game from the command line manually (somethig like "-game=swat4").
Dijon

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2010, 18:56 »

Hi Gildor,

Thank you for trying, and I understand if you do not wish to complicate umodel, as it is already an excellent resource - particularly for those of us who are learning. 

Something that I frequently find on various forums (including the one for UDK) is that when people ask for assets (i.e. they want to try something other that a UT mod), they get ridiculed and told to make their own - not a trivial undertaking.  For those of us interested in the map making and programming aspects, umodel is a true gift.  Thank you so much for sharing this great tool.

-D
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2010, 23:29 »

Done. Use
Code:
umodel -game=swat4 ...
to open packages.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 10:24 by gildor » Logged
Dijon

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2010, 06:44 »

OMG, Gildor, that's amazing!   Shocked

I noticed in the output text that for some models, umodel "reduced skeleton from 61 bones to 45".  Since I normally use Fritz's GUI, I've never noticed it this is normal.

I also noticed that the output ended up in a Owner\AppData ... \SWAT 4 directory, rather than in the one umodel was running from.  Is this normal?

Thank you again!  This is great!   Grin

-D
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2010, 10:36 »

I noticed in the output text that for some models, umodel "reduced skeleton from 61 bones to 45".
It's a new feature - removing unused bones. But probably I will remove it and make as option for Actor X Importer.
I also noticed that the output ended up in a Owner\AppData ... \SWAT 4 directory, rather than in the one umodel was running from.  Is this normal?
What do you mean "output"?
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2010, 10:50 »

Does new umodel work with SWAT4 correctly?
If yes - can you post some screenshots? (I can't make them by myself - I have no this game)
If you have Facebook account - the best place for screenshots is here:
http://www.facebook.com/unreal.model.viewer?v=photos
(make a new album)
Dijon

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2010, 16:47 »

By "output" I mean the extracted files.  When I use Fritz's GUI, the extracted files show up in a new directory under the directory where I launched the GUI.  When I tried the new umodel last night, the extracted packages showed up in "user\appdata\...\swat4" instead of in the program directory (C:\Program Files\SWAT4).  Because I am using Windows 7, which is quite anal about writing to the Program Files folder, I just wanted to confirm whether it was umodel doing this, or Windows.

I don't normally put games in Program Files, but a mod that I need for my studies is written to only go into the default install directory (C:\Program Files\SWAT 4).  If you're not sure why this is happening, I will move the location and update my registry manually.

Thanks again for the help.

-D
Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: