Gildor's Forums

Author Topic: Duplicate Files Help  (Read 570 times)
Juso3D

Welcome to Gildor Forums

View Profile
Duplicate Files Help
« on: March 12, 2018, 18:06 »

Hey Gildor and other follow members, I am just wondering if their is a way to overwrite duplicate files with the same names?

Each time a game updates (PUBG has always lol), I just want to extract the entire folder (that has new files on top of already extracted files) but don't want to have to delete that folder before hand or the duplicated files afterward if that is possible?

Thanks, just to look on here and the FAQ, but couldn't find anything, and if can't no drama....

Blender + Linux User Here.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
Re: Duplicate Files Help
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 18:11 »

UModel checks if asset with the same name was already saved, and adds numeric suffix if yes. This was made for UE3 (complex situation, would prefer to not explain). So, UModel works as expected.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 18:32 »

Sorry, disregard my previous post. I've reviewed my export code. If you're doing export, closing umodel, opening it again and re-doing export - no numeric suffixes will be added to file names. So probably I don't understand what you mean. May be you may show a pair of screenshots - how objects appears in UModel and what you've got with export?
Juso3D

Welcome to Gildor Forums

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 20:17 »

uModel detects a file that has the same name of a file and will rename it to a new file with a added numeric to it, like in this picture Thompson_TD_01_RM to Thompson_TD_01_RM_2 has a example......

Blue=original
Red=Duplicate

Does it to any file that has the same name, Meshes, Textures, Materials etc etc

Hope this makes sense, understand if that just how uModel works, was hoping if there was a command I can put in to stop from duplicates from happening (save on time on having to delete afterwards).....

Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 20:55 »

I've improved logic a little bit. I've noticed that with adding suffix, a new unneeded folder was created. Now all duplicated files will be located in the same directory.
Also I can say that duplicates appears only if you're doing export of the same asset multiple times during single session with umodel. If you will close umodel, open it again and perform export - the files will be overwritten.

Numeric suffix is needed for UE4 games when people are exporting animations in a "wrong" way: when selecting animation sequences from file list and pressing "export". In that case, each animation track will be saved into a separate psa file, and all files will have the same name with different numeric index. If I'll remove this behavior, export of animations in this way will not work at all, and I'll get too much "error reports" from people who don't have enough experience to look at tutorial videos to find how to work with animations correctly.
Juso3D

Welcome to Gildor Forums

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 12:34 »

I've tried the newest version you added, but still adds duplicates (no folders just with _2 etc on the end in same folder) after extracting them, even after closing uModel and not re-extracting them again in the single session has you mention, however I do get the reason why is does it for the animations has you mention also, again no drama if this how uModel functions and will just delete duplicates when I see them and change how I extract them, if I knew how to code I will go about changing it myself but I am not that brainy lol.....

Jump to: