Gildor's Forums

Author Topic: SoulCalibur 6  (Read 12295 times)
jones45

View Profile
Re: SoulCalibur 6
« Reply #75 on: August 13, 2019, 00:29 »

I believe what you are saying is correct, yes. Can you point me in the direction of utilizing umodel in the way you are so that I can access the debug mode and input the correct scale values myself to see? The model should be tiny. It would match up with the rest of the lazy practices that project soul has used-- it's literally just the SCV skeleton with some scaling on it.

Once you get the code running in VS Code you can uncomment "define DEBUG_SKELMESH 1" to see the scale for each bone or write your own print function.

I did try hardcode a few bones in Umodel but I couldn't get it to work. Bones like UPPER_SCALE__group and HAND_L_SCALE__group usually have the same scale across all models. If I could figure out how to hardcode these adjustments the function could be fixed

What I did instead is:
>Exported the unscaled tiny skeleton model into blender from 3dsMax.
>unparent the mesh
>input all the scale values for the bones in pose mode
>apply all the scales
>reparent the mesh with empty groups
This creates a binding with no problems at all. You could write a python script to do this automatically and just copy and paste the scale values umodel prints out into it.
Tetraspore

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 13, 2019, 03:20 »

I believe what you are saying is correct, yes. Can you point me in the direction of utilizing umodel in the way you are so that I can access the debug mode and input the correct scale values myself to see? The model should be tiny. It would match up with the rest of the lazy practices that project soul has used-- it's literally just the SCV skeleton with some scaling on it.

Once you get the code running in VS Code you can uncomment "define DEBUG_SKELMESH 1" to see the scale for each bone or write your own print function.

I did try hardcode a few bones in Umodel but I couldn't get it to work. Bones like UPPER_SCALE__group and HAND_L_SCALE__group usually have the same scale across all models. If I could figure out how to hardcode these adjustments the function could be fixed

What I did instead is:
>Exported the unscaled tiny skeleton model into blender from 3dsMax.
>unparent the mesh
>input all the scale values for the bones in pose mode
>apply all the scales
>reparent the mesh with empty groups
This creates a binding with no problems at all. You could write a python script to do this automatically and just copy and paste the scale values umodel prints out into it.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to even get a compiled umodel.exe to work at all. If you could PM me a zip of your debug umodel, that would be a lifesaver.

Honestly, I think the completely unscaled model is what will work for modding, because the game seems to apply the scaling when the model loads. I'm pretty sure the SCV skeleton is what is being used. What you describe for perfect rigs would be great for those wanting to get ahold of the models as they appear in game, but I believe that the game uses SCV assets and scales them to have better proportions in game, so that beings aid, the unscaled skeleton (tiny, like you say) is what we should be using to make mods.

I've been trying to make the SCV skeleton work, but alas the scaling problem with that is that you need to scale up by 10, and that creates the opposite problems in game (spaghetti limbs)

That being said, if there is some reason you're opposed to sending me the debugged umodel, a raw unscaled skeleton might be super useful for me as well if you'd rather send me that.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 06:41 by Tetraspore » Logged
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: August 13, 2019, 11:14 »

I've reviewed how UModel does scaling for UE4 models (just didn't remember things).

There are 2 kinds of "scale" in Unreal. Firstly, the scale of model in 3ds Max or other modeling software. Geometry data in uasset are stored in THIS scale. However designer later may add scale for already imported mesh, which is stored in Skeleton. It allows to adjust bone scales etc. UModel does these adjustments as well, I'm not sure how correct it is - but at least for most games it's ok. The adjustment is done only to ANIMATION, i.e. mesh itself is not changed. BONE scale is applied only to position, geometry itself is not scaled. ROOT BONE scale is applied to a mesh when viewing, it is not exported at all.
Dr.Runback

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 01, 2021, 06:02 »

Quick question

How would one go about ripping a viewing and/or ripping a CAS model for a character using Umodel, UE viewer, etc. I've heard many responses ranging from "It's impossible" to "It only works with [blank] technique" and wanted to get some expert opinions

PS: Ninjaripper + Noesis would be the go-to "have you tried..." answer but I've already tried to use it. It extracts meshes and stuff as .dds files but doesn't seem to be able to combine and compile them
Jump to: