Gildor's Forums

Author Topic: What is the difference between Saving 'packages' and 'extracting' ?  (Read 3427 times)
SchoolHomeVR

View Profile
What is the difference between Saving 'packages' and 'extracting' ?
« on: February 13, 2019, 15:55 »

There has been this post here for almost a year that has always bugged me:

https://github.com/gildor2/UModel/issues/68

In it a guy asks:
"in (UModel) is it possible to extract blueprint assests."

Gildor answers:
"You may save ("extract") them with Tools | Save packages."
 Guy says : (essentially)
i can save it but when i import it to UE4 it's isn't add ed, I see the content with the notepad? The file is small compared to the editor version (30MB to 7mb)

Gildor Answers:
You can't load "extracted" uasset files into editor because it ignores cooked packages. However I think I answered to your question - "it is possible to extract blueprint".

The guy nicely thanks him, but I can tell he was like:  WHAT???!!

BLUEPRINTS are Information that do specific things,. like TGA files and ActorX files and Sound files are.   

IF ALL THE TEXTURES, Meshes and Sounds came through completely jumbled,. Would that be considered an ability to 'extract' Sound, Images and Meshes? C
I don't believe Gildor would be silly or waste time,..  He seems quite serious,. A genius level personality etc... (If not perfect perspicacity,.. ;~) But pobodies Nerfect...

SO I think what this means, is that YES, there is some way to get some meaningful information from 'extracted' Blueprints, (other than by simply importing them into the editor as he said isn't the way...).  There must be meaningful information being Gleaned, OR I believe our serious and succinct friend, would have said, 'No, Blueprints at not accessible in any way, They are lost, they can not be saved or extracted! Right?

Surely he meant something and was not saying you can EXTRACT THEM, but they are junk data that can't be used for anything?

I lost everything in a fire and am trying to rebuild my best game,  I worked on for years,  (now that there is a FIX for Unreal 4.18 and the Regressive Steam VR / WMR Odyssey 'screen percentage' problem (where games made in Unreal 4.18 won't play properly in Steam VR, (or Revive:Remixed) with WMR..) I would love to be able to recompile my build and release (I plan to release for free, to try to get work here n California,..)  But there are several BLueprints where I just can't remember what I did, others where (honestly) I just got lucky when trying things, achieving just the Zero-G feel I wanted,.  and acceleration,  object interactivity,  I'd be happy just being ableto access all my 'Make Transform' variables for object pickups!  (I have no less than 45 Hand animations (Grabbable poses...).    I had Zero G and Dynamic Hands before Lone Echo!, I just couldn't release on Steam becasue Epic messed up the 4.18 build with VR...

ANY INFO  Very appreciated!  I need some way to access my old BP.s...

THANK YOU! ;")

Rob.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
Re: What is the difference between Saving 'packages' and 'extracting' ?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 16:16 »

Well, I use these terms: "export", "extract", "save".

Export is probably self-explaining, but I'll add a few words. This word in computer software usually means - get something stored in internal data format, and save that information in a format suitable for other software. For Maya you can export a "mb" scene into fbx file format - it will lose some information, but you can open fbx somewhere else. In umodel e.g. for a skeletal mesh - mesh is stored in some internal UE4 format, I'm loading it into umodel's data structures (can't say "format" because it's in-memory, not a disk representation), then save it to psk or gltf disk format.

"Extract" depends on what you're extracting. This term means no data conversion. Extracting from a pak file means - get some file and save it to disk. I use "save selected packages" in UI for that, just decided to use "save" term for it. In a case of game which is not packaged with a pak file, this will copy data - with no extraction. So "save" word is more suitable here.

Extracting an upk or uasset file - this is done with "package extractor" tool. It loads an uasset ("package") and saves every internal data as a separate file. I use it from time to time to inspect what's stored inside a package, the data is not useful FOR ME in any other way. Some people does something more with extracted data, sometimes they even able to replace some structures by recombining package back from extracted data.

"Saved package" won't be useful for Unreal editor - editor is not designed to work with such kind of data. There are 2 kinds of uassets in UE4 (same for upk in UE3): "source assets" and "cooked assets". Cooked assets contains data for packaged game, source assets doesn't contain "cooked data" but has data useful for editor. A simplest example - texture asset. For "source asset" it contains PNG image, for cooked asset - DDS texture, in a DIFFERENT place. When package is marked internally as "source asset", it often uses different file layout. For a static mesh, uasset contains "raw mesh" - something what was imported from fbx and stored directly into uasset. It doesn't contain optimized data, LODs etc.

Unreal engine (ALL versions) packages has version information to be able to load older package into a newer engine editor. Older Unreal engine versions (1 to 3) were possible to load older cooked packages into an updated game made with newer engine. For some reason, UE4 has stripped that information, so you MUST say to umodel which engine is used for the game. Not sure if I should explain why version data is stripped, just will say that it is called "unversioned package". All versions are filled with zeros in a cooked UE4 game. The game, when it sees unversioned package, just assumes that the package was saved with EXACTLY the same engine version as game has, i.e. they were packaged for it. Editor silently rejects unversioned packages.

So, to be able to load a package saved from a game into UnrealEd, you'll need to restore version information, convert "cooked" data to "source", then probably UnrealEd with pick it up.

This way of storing data makes modding a very difficult thing, unless game provides "source" packages for required things - in game's SDK (e.g. Ark Survival Evolved). Epic did some addition to the engine for UT4 modding (Unreal "Tournament", not "Engine") - but the game was abandoned.

Hopefully I've answered your questions.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 16:36 by Gildor » Logged
SchoolHomeVR

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2020, 09:47 »

I have been putting off replying to this for like years,. because sometimes you get kind of mad, and I am a very sensitive artist.  Hopefully my trying for a year or two on my own before asking again will tell you I am not someone who leans arbitrarily on others but learns things the hard way like you do.   Also I very much appreciate how much you have done, how often you update (Everytime i check, there was just an update within DAYS!) :O Smiley   Amazing.

But, above, you do end by saying,. "I hope you address you questions,. but,.  You didn't,  at all... Smiley  you speak of textures and meshes and everything else,.     but: I only have questions about BLUEPRINT.

In this time I have learned to glean enormous amounts of info from them simply opening the unpacked .Usset file in Notepad++ (I use QuickBMS to unpak, Then Umodel for Editor stuff),  when I do that I can see stuff like this:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
/Game/AdvancedSpaceShader/Blueprints/BP_SpaceSphere ¸pç¿  
/Game/Audio/C_PHOTON }Ñ·,   /Game/Audio/computer-forwardshieldhasfailed Ñ(zø&  
/Game/Audio/computer-shieldoverloaded ´«(  
/Game/Audio/Computer-Vessel-Approaching XF§^9  
/Game/Audio/ComputerVoice/comp-inertial-damping-unstable tÕ"    
/Game/Blueprints/BorgTorpedo ªúb*  
/Game/Blueprints/SpaceLocations/Location6 Ê+´.  
/Game/Blueprints/SpaceLocations/SpaceLocation TÕGh!  
/Game/Blueprints/Stage9-Gamemode ýG?ªC  
/Game/SpaceMaps/SpaceBox_Variable/Blueprints/HD/BP_SB4K_HD_Belawor ˆ9Î+"  
/Game/Mesh/Starships/BorgCube/BP_BCube —\Y  
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and in that way, using Notepad++ on the Usset Blueprints,  I am able to find and merge a lot of the stuff from the Non-VR 2D (but Updated) Star Trek game into the VR version of the game!
  (Remember, you got really mad at me twice a long time ago,. I asked you to help me MOD a freeware abandonware Star Trek VR game   for my sick friend,.  (He since died and though) It makes me so sad,  I was unable to get 90% of the assets transferred, BUT: he was at least able to exist in his final days onboard The NCC-1701 D (Enterprise D) in VR , Ride Turbolifts, Fly shuttles and blow things up!

I STILL WANT TO TRANSFER THE REST OF THE GAME,.  OR go in the other 'direction' and pull the VR Pawn (VR_Character) from the VR v0.0.91 game to the 2D v0.1.0 game,.  

Amazingly, (for MODDING I mean)  they are clearly both made in the same project  folder, both built with ther same version (4.18)   and the .Ussets are interchangable,. I have experimented in this for year it has been so fun,

.  But I am at an impasse,  Forgetting I even left the message above,  I came BACK to your site, tonight once again, looking for the SAME BLUEPRINT INFO AGAIN Smiley  and ironically found my paradoxical message from so long ago that went un-answered, as far as I can tell.

THAT IS  A LITTLE FUNNY,  So I wonder, but surely, you too discovered that one can open the cooked blueprints (as text info) and get at least SOME GOOD INFO by reading them in Notepad++  -
 I guess I should just ask again,..
Other than the way I mention in Notepad++  can we use, or interpret or get any goodness of any kind, (ideally actual usefulness)  from the data of the blueprints in cooked .Ussets?

THANK YOU FOR ALL THE HELP AND TOOLS!  

ps.

I still have never been able to swap out a Skeletal Character Mesh,   I am expert in 3ds Max so i am able to deal with Skinning and Skinwrap, etc, that snot the issue, so,. but/../ when I play, My mesh is Flipping out, doubled etc.   I used to see there were Actor Skeletal tools and stuff but never understood what to do with them,. is there a concise description anywhere of how to swap out a character mesh?  (Ps the game i am referring to?  Uses the UE4 3rd Person Template,  the UE4 VR Template and the Mannequin system,   If you were to help me a little, it would probably be the easiest thing you have ever done, I have done all the early homework..  
Don't you like Star Trek TNG???!! Don't you want to blow PICARD out an Airlock?   Shoot Unlucky O'Brien in the back of the head?  Smash your Runabout into DS9?   (then end up ON THE PROMENADE as the Collision glitches!)   I am ready to send you installs for PC, Mac, Linux, and Android if it helps you understand the project,. I have made myself the sort of unnofficial repository of the STAGE 9 game it is like Boneworks with lots of Physics stuff, Ragdolls,. BUT YEARS EARLIER!!  

Also, I truly have thousands of VR and Tech oriented Youtube subscribers,  Can I review or Market something for you to trade for your time to just look at STAGE 9 the Abadonware game?

I have learned so much more about the process on my own, I hope you will help me with the Character Mesh Swapping at least :    If it helps, they used the 'Personnel' modular Marketplace Asset.
thanks again,
Rob.

Do you ever need Unreal Engine Assets?  I have almost every Marketplace Asset there ever was,..   Wink  hint hint  (and after 25+ years in Hollywood, millions of assets from music making tools, Kontakt libraries, to Professional Motion Capture.)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 10:00 by SchoolHomeVR » Logged
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2020, 10:27 »

I have been putting off replying to this for like years,. because sometimes you get kind of mad, and I am a very sensitive artist.
Everyone can be sensitive. Not just artist, but a programmer too. So, don't abuse others, covering with "I'm sensitive, I can do that", please Smiley

Now, answering to parts which I recognized as questions.

I guess I should just ask again,..
Other than the way I mention in Notepad++  can we use, or interpret or get any goodness of any kind, (ideally actual usefulness)  from the data of the blueprints in cooked .Ussets?
Neither with Notepad, nor in other text or binary editor. Unreal engine using very complex data structures, you can't edit it. Just imagine yourself editing a EXE or DLL file to change the behavior.

is there a concise description anywhere of how to swap out a character mesh?
I didn't see any. May be other people do.

Don't you like Star Trek TNG???!!
Definitely not. I watched new 3 movies (Star Trek reboot), I liked them. Never had a desire to watch older ones.

Do you ever need Unreal Engine Assets?  I have almost every Marketplace Asset there ever was,..   Wink  hint hint  (and after 25+ years in Hollywood, millions of assets from music making tools, Kontakt libraries, to Professional Motion Capture.)
No, thanks Smiley I'm not an asset collector.
Jump to: