March 29, 2024, 15:01
bigger smaller reset     1020px Wide width Full width Reset   * *

Gildor's Forums

Homepage Facebook Read news on Twitter Youtube channel Github page
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

« previous next »
Print
Author Topic: Exporting Cooked Datatable As CSV  (Read 2198 times)
BIKER7202

View Profile
« on: February 14, 2019, 02:46 »

Hi, I'm new here so I apologize if I have posted this in the wrong section/format.

I am a modder for the MotoGP series of games (Probably haven't heard of them) and for the most recent installment they have switched to Unreal Engine 4 (4.18 to be specific).

I want to edit a file that controls ai performance and this file is a datatable so my question is:

Is it possible to extract the contents of this file to a CSV?

Or

Can the row structure be extracted from the file?

Any help would be appriciated Smiley

- BIKER7202
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 08:27 »

Hi.
I have some thoughts (i.e. not even plans) to export DataTable as Json (not csv, I don't like it - it's unreadable). However - as usual - I have no idea when I'll be able to proceed with that, my plans are huge, but I'm working alone at free time (unless sometimes I worked on umodel at my work time, hugely impacting my salary - with no "thanks" from community).
Anyway, DataTable export won't help you editing that. And regarding "row structure", there's no format which will let you export it, except possible print data in some human-friendly text.
BIKER7202

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 20:26 »

Thanks for the quick response
That's some dedication to work on umodel at your job, I'm very thankful for all your work.

This could be totally wrong but would it be possible to write a script to read the data from a datatable with the same name in unreal editor and then put it inside the game to read data from the one I want to edit?
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 21:38 »

I'm absolutely unfamiliar with how data stored in data table. However, EVERY object in UE starts with "property block", a very complex structure. Sometimes it contains data for other complex structures, and it's quite possible that DataTable is entirely stored as "properties". It would be very hard to write a script which will read it.

It is possible to modify Unreal engine (as it has public source code) so it WILL load cooked assets. Simplest case - textures and data tables. However this will require good programming skills and good familiarity with Unreal engine code and architecture. I was lucky enough to get an UE4 job - worked for Simplygon, Epic, now - Audi. But on the other side, my current job is time-based (paid per hour, not per month), so spending a day with umodel will cut 1/30 (or 1/20) of my salary.
BIKER7202

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2019, 01:03 »

Interesting, that would certainly explain why the entries are unreadable.

There are a couple of datatables in this game that can be hex edited as the entries can be read (I believe they all only have one column).

Perhaps the files are cooked differently if there are multiple columns.

Is the property block at the start of the file?
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2019, 08:25 »

Property block is at start of object. FILE starts with package header.
BIKER7202

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2019, 22:37 »

Thanks, I’ll take a look and see what I can do with it
Moisoni

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2020, 00:56 »

Any updates on exporting DataTable as JSON? Or at least a way to get the text inside them?
For my particular case, I want to parse items rarity for PUBG...

~Glidor thanks for your work it helped me a lot!
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2020, 09:50 »

I didn't work on this stuff, so - no updates, sorry.
Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: