March 29, 2024, 03:26
bigger smaller reset     1020px Wide width Full width Reset   * *

Gildor's Forums

Homepage Facebook Read news on Twitter Youtube channel Github page
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

« previous next »
Print
Author Topic: umodel and G16 BMP Support  (Read 7795 times)
Cuba
« on: December 15, 2010, 23:57 »

Hello Mr. Gildor and the whole community!

I discovered today this great tool that allows me to extract textures from Lineage II Freya UTX files, in specific the maps files like T_11_23.utx, the problem is that these UTX files contain an image in BMP G16 format that can not be extracted correctly using the -extract option, and my questions are:

1- There is the possibility that such a great tool to export images in G16 formats?
2- It is possible to decrypt these UTX files to be viewed with applications such as UTPT? (this would be the perfect alternative  Smiley )

Note: There is a tool called LineageII UTX Fixer who could do this work, but the author of this project has been abandoned due to personal problems and there is no support for Lineage II Freya UTX files Sad

Best Regard,
Cuba  Cool
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 01:28 »

Hello.
1- There is the possibility that such a great tool to export images in G16 formats?
I don't know any image format with 16-bit color. All known formats are either 8-bit paletted/greyscale, or 24/32-bit color (RGB/RGBA, 8 bit per channel, but needs 16 bit). Any suggestions?
2- It is possible to decrypt these UTX files to be viewed with applications such as UTPT?
No.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 01:30 by gildor » Logged
Cuba
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 02:29 »

Hello Gildor,

Thank you for your quick reply  Smiley

The BMP Unreal G16 Heightmap is a kind of special image for UT terrain.

more info here: http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/TerrainHeightmaps.html

Heightmap Creation

Heightmaps can be sourced or created using a number of methods, the most common are Digital Elevation Models (DEMs)? which are data files of real planetary terrain collected by airplanes, satellites or spacecraft; and computer generated "algorithmic" heightmaps created by a number of available software applications including HMES, Leveller, Terragen, World Machine and others. For more information on creating heightmaps from DEMS, see this document?.

The most common file format for inter-changing algorithmic heightmaps to UnrealEd is Raw 16-bit, which is supported by most heightmap software applications including those mentioned previously. Raw-16 is a simple headerless binary file format that contains the raw 16-bit altitude data as an x*y stream. The Unreal Editor's native heightmap format is called G16, which will require an intermediary conversion from Raw-16 if the heightmap software does not natively support G16. A few tools exist for conversion to G16 including G16Ed and HMCS.

The algorithmic heightmap software applications commonly use a variety of one or more noise algorithms, such as Perlin, to generate a basic heightmap layout of hills and valleys. This heightmap is then optionally modified with geomorphic algorithms such as weathering erosion, glaciation, etc., and possibly edited or sculpted with various tool functions. The capabilities and methods for creating heightmaps varies with each software application and won't be covered in-depth in this topic.

Best regard,
Cuba
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 15:38 »

Where I can find specification for that texture format and what application I can use to test extracted texture (when/if I will support this format)?
Cuba
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 21:49 »

Hello gildor,

thank you very much for your interest... I feel like a kid with a new toy  Grin

here is all the information I could gather on the Internet, plus my experience in my time working on this.

Where I can find specification for that texture format

Information:
G16 – 16-bit Grayscale
    Primarily used for terrain heightmaps, G16 textures offer 65536 levels of gray, providing greatly increased precision of grayscale information for those rare cases where it is needed. Most external graphics applications are not able to handle 16-bit grayscale information, however, so manipulating G16 images outside of UnrealEd may require specialized software, such as G16ed. RGBA8 and P8 textures can be converted to G16 in UnrealEd by setting the texture as a heightmap for a terrain, and once it's visible in the Terrain Mode window, right-clicking on its thumbnail and selecting "convert to G16" from the pop-up menu. (Import/export formats: BMP Note: The G16 "BMP" format is not actually a valid BMP file, and will not work correctly with most programs)

More info here: http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:Texture_Format and here http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/TerrainAlphamaps.html

Sample code:
On this site (UEdTexKit) you can find a set of tools (source coded included) that lets you convert TIFF images in G16. also this apps can do this:
G16ed
HMCS

what application I can use to test extracted texture
I use the software UnrealEngine2Runtimeto draw and edit this images, but first the Lineage file must be decrypted so it can be read by the application, to open it go to C:\UnrealEngine2Runtime\System\UnrealEd.exe

I also use this software (Unreal Tournament Package Tool) to view and extract images of such files, the problem is that the image are not exported in G16 format, which trigger a loss of image quality  Cry

Sample OLD UTX Lineage decrypted file, You can open this file with the above program:
http://www.4shared.com/file/ZD3VNzkt/decrypted.html

Sample NEW UTX Lineage encrypted file. You can't open this file with the above program, but you can extract the images using "umodel" (except the G16 BMP):
http://www.4shared.com/file/3MNqgLYk/new_file_encripted.html

Example of an image in G16 format, extracted from OLD UTX Lineage decrypted file:
http://www.4shared.com/file/ko-K2L3w/G16_IMG.html
On the desktop or browser this image is displayed in color, but if it is imported in its native program (Unreal Engine) or HMCS is a gray scale  Smiley

Best regard,
Cuba
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 22:28 by Cuba » Logged
Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: