March 29, 2024, 02:07
bigger smaller reset     1020px Wide width Full width Reset   * *

Gildor's Forums

Homepage Facebook Read news on Twitter Youtube channel Github page
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

« previous next »
Print
Author Topic: What if (Life is Strange build)  (Read 626 times)
carpediem

View Profile
« on: June 22, 2019, 15:58 »

Hi. I know the original Life is Strange game if fully supported by Umodel but I was wondering if the beta build for PS3 could potentially work too?

I tried to open the .xxx files and I got an error:

Code:
assertion failed: i != INDEX_NONE

UnPackage::~UnPackage <- UnPackage::LoadPackage:PS3_GAME/USRDIR/EXAMPLEGAME/COOKEDPS3FINAL/E1_1A_CLIFFFUTURE_LD.XXX <- CUmodelApp::ShowPackageUI <- Main:umodel_build=1021

Here is an example file: https://www35.zippyshare.com/v/6iaVaX6o/file.html

Thanks for your help, even though I'm not sure whether something can be done  Undecided
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2019, 19:01 »

I've updated umodel, so it will show a different (correct) error now.
carpediem

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2019, 15:55 »

Thanks for your reply and update. If I understand correctly the files are encrypted then?
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2019, 15:58 »

Yes. They appears like as full of garbage, i.e. absolutely unreadable.
Gh0stBlade

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2019, 00:53 »

Yes. They appears like as full of garbage, i.e. absolutely unreadable.

That user might not have decrypted the files. Here are the decrypted versions which have problems viewing the skeletal meshes for the PS3 version.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/485380563788890112/590300706481897504/E1_3A_CAMPUSA_GRC.XXX
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/485380563788890112/590298390273720370/E1_3C_JULIETROOM_GRC.XXX
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/485380563788890112/590298657098563659/E1_3C_JULIETROOM_LD.XXX
carpediem

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2019, 22:54 »

I didn't. Can you tell me how you managed to do so?
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2019, 23:12 »

I've checked files. Engine version here is exactly the same as for Remember Me (which is made by same developers, and it's fully supported). However there are some differences at least in StaticMesh format, so umodel crashes with it. I think there are PS3-specific changes.
Gh0stBlade

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2019, 01:49 »

I've checked files. Engine version here is exactly the same as for Remember Me (which is made by same developers, and it's fully supported). However there are some differences at least in StaticMesh format, so umodel crashes with it. I think there are PS3-specific changes.

Do you plan to add support for the PS3 version of Life is Strange despite the format difference?
carpediem

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2019, 02:07 »

Do you plan to add support for the PS3 version of Life is Strange despite the format difference?

I would be interested too but I have no idea how much work is involved for Gildor, it may be a lot harder to implement than a simple fix for all I know.

Gh0stBlade, aren't you the Gh0stBlade who ported the TR Definitive Edition on PC btw? I'm pretty sure I saw you on the tomb raider forums  Grin
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2019, 10:19 »

Definitely no, for many reasons.
GHFear

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2019, 01:12 »

Gildor, do you know how many times I have seen you say this exact thing "Absolutely no" and then end up doing it 6-8 months later xD
Some day I will spend some time understanding the Umodel source so I can make patches and updates for weird console versions of games Tongue I hate having to sit back and rely on other people to always do things for me. Makes me feel like I bother people too much.
But yeah, I would love to see support for the early beta of Life is Strange build too. Been discussing the game with a friend of mine lately. So maybe this is the time to download the source and give it a look. I hope I don't get a bunch of problems trying to compile it on windows...

AES Key and UE4 Modding commissions:
https://bit.ly/31PFc3i
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2019, 12:14 »

Gildor, do you know how many times I have seen you say this exact thing "Absolutely no" and then end up doing it 6-8 months later xD
Haha Smiley

I think you just do not understand complexity of reverse engineering for PS3. Especially when it has been told about single game, and even more - about it's "beta".

To be more specific ...
1. I spent months in disassembler reverse engineering Xbox360 code. It's hard, much harder than PC code. I didn't work with PS3 - I tried it, and it's much harder than Xbox360.
2. PS3 has a CPU and several SPU's. SPU are non-traditional architecture. Sony provided some SDK for delegating parts of CPU work to SPU. Epic do not use that, but some companies - does. It allows to delegate animation decompression to SPU, allows to add extra geometry compression which is decompressed before rendering, etc. The library called "Edge" I think, it is complex, and doing such stuff without reusing its source is nearly impossible. And use of its source is absolutely illegal, especially for open-source project (where everything is "transparent" and open).
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 12:24 by Gildor » Logged
Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: