Gildor's Forums

Author Topic: Gears 5  (Read 5668 times)
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
Re: Gears 5
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2019, 22:37 »

I can't name this as "information". It's just obvious things. I spent probably 2 FULL days trying to locate code which reads b2index file, but without any success. Delayed research to better times - when I'll be young again and will have a lot of free time Smiley
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2019, 09:16 »

An article about Gears 5 tech
https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/developer-interviews/the-coalition-dives-deep-into-the-tech-of-gears-5
Blenux

Welcome to Gildor Land.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2019, 09:28 »

Yeah pretty cool stuff, half of it just goes through my head though  Grin

Blender + Linux User Here.
HunterAP

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2020, 11:51 »

Would it be possible to look into making UE Viewer work for Gears 5? I figure there might've been development changes / new insights for UE Viewer to possibly extract the assets from Gears 5.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2020, 12:37 »

At the moment I can't consider spending any more time with this game. I can't "guess" file formats used there, but doing full research would require fully unprotected and still working game exe file.
Lambency

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2020, 02:19 »

Gears Tactics also uses the exact same format as Gears 5 and they both use oodle mermaid. And as far as I know, It doesn't have eac. Working on the Gears Tactics steam version might be an option. Also, I managed to decompress some of the files in the b2container archives with some info that I don't know how accurate is, and the files are somehow odd. I can send some sample files if anyone wants.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2020, 10:07 »

Already tried Tactics last Summer, it has the same protection.
Simo311

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2021, 20:34 »

So basically, this ends here?
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2021, 20:38 »

Yes, unless some hacker will remove the protection/encryption from exe, and make the game functional with this executable. Otherwise I'll need to spend months just to dig inside the file format used there.
Lambency

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2021, 07:30 »

I am writing a python script that parses the b2index file and uses the info for decompressing b2container files. Here's a sample file that I decompressed. I think it's an uasset file but the structure is a bit odd huh. I don't know if it helps anything with exe being still protected but here it is if anyone wants to take a look.

* files.7z (491.91 KB - downloaded 23 times.)
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2021, 09:41 »

I'm unsure if it will help, if I'll adapt UModel to handle one file - it might crash with others. So I'd need ALL game's files so every little would be immediately tested with full set of data. Ideally of course I'd need support of Gears 5 pak (b2*) files in UModel.
Lambency

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2021, 19:26 »

Okay, when I finish the script, I think you will be able to add the support to umodel. And I started to think that files in the b2containers are not separate uasset files. Some of them are pre-divided pieces of the same file, then compressed and packed into b2containers. I'll let you know when I am able to get the script straight for b2 files.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2021, 22:15 »

In Gears 4, there was a complex system behind their pak - some "bundle" system. I suppose Gears 5 extends it and merges with pak.
Lambency

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2021, 23:09 »

Yeah, they're pretty similar but not exactly the same. b2index is a complex file but of course it's possible to parse it properly with some time.
Jump to: