March 28, 2024, 12:23
bigger smaller reset     1020px Wide width Full width Reset   * *

Gildor's Forums

Homepage Facebook Read news on Twitter Youtube channel Github page
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

« previous next »
Print
Author Topic: Gears 5  (Read 12753 times)
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2019, 22:37 »

I can't name this as "information". It's just obvious things. I spent probably 2 FULL days trying to locate code which reads b2index file, but without any success. Delayed research to better times - when I'll be young again and will have a lot of free time Smiley
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2019, 09:16 »

An article about Gears 5 tech
https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/developer-interviews/the-coalition-dives-deep-into-the-tech-of-gears-5
Juso3D

Welcome to Gildor Forums

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2019, 09:28 »

Yeah pretty cool stuff, half of it just goes through my head though  Grin

Blender + Linux User Here.
HunterAP

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2020, 11:51 »

Would it be possible to look into making UE Viewer work for Gears 5? I figure there might've been development changes / new insights for UE Viewer to possibly extract the assets from Gears 5.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2020, 12:37 »

At the moment I can't consider spending any more time with this game. I can't "guess" file formats used there, but doing full research would require fully unprotected and still working game exe file.
Lambency

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2020, 02:19 »

Gears Tactics also uses the exact same format as Gears 5 and they both use oodle mermaid. And as far as I know, It doesn't have eac. Working on the Gears Tactics steam version might be an option. Also, I managed to decompress some of the files in the b2container archives with some info that I don't know how accurate is, and the files are somehow odd. I can send some sample files if anyone wants.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2020, 10:07 »

Already tried Tactics last Summer, it has the same protection.
Simo311

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2021, 20:34 »

So basically, this ends here?
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2021, 20:38 »

Yes, unless some hacker will remove the protection/encryption from exe, and make the game functional with this executable. Otherwise I'll need to spend months just to dig inside the file format used there.
Lambency

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2021, 07:30 »

I am writing a python script that parses the b2index file and uses the info for decompressing b2container files. Here's a sample file that I decompressed. I think it's an uasset file but the structure is a bit odd huh. I don't know if it helps anything with exe being still protected but here it is if anyone wants to take a look.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 18:22 by Lambency » Logged
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2021, 09:41 »

I'm unsure if it will help, if I'll adapt UModel to handle one file - it might crash with others. So I'd need ALL game's files so every little would be immediately tested with full set of data. Ideally of course I'd need support of Gears 5 pak (b2*) files in UModel.
Lambency

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2021, 19:26 »

Okay, when I finish the script, I think you will be able to add the support to umodel. And I started to think that files in the b2containers are not separate uasset files. Some of them are pre-divided pieces of the same file, then compressed and packed into b2containers. I'll let you know when I am able to get the script straight for b2 files.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2021, 22:15 »

In Gears 4, there was a complex system behind their pak - some "bundle" system. I suppose Gears 5 extends it and merges with pak.
Lambency

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2021, 23:09 »

Yeah, they're pretty similar but not exactly the same. b2index is a complex file but of course it's possible to parse it properly with some time.
spiritovod
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2021, 17:55 »

I was quite tired of certain removed posts from this topic, so I've decided to make some open source public solution to support further researches.

Experimental quickbms script for extracting assets from b2container (Gears 5 format) added to custom scripts bundle, available at xentax topic or custom scripts bundle at rin topic. Please note that it's a work-in-progress script and for now it's extracting files without proper filenames.
If you have questions about this particular script, please ask them in the linked topics.

Update: Updated script can now extract files with filenames, but without full paths, which are still under testing.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2023, 18:10 by spiritovod » Logged
Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: