April 16, 2024, 12:33
bigger smaller reset     1020px Wide width Full width Reset   * *

Gildor's Forums

Homepage Facebook Read news on Twitter Youtube channel Github page
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

« previous next »
Print
Author Topic: [SMITE] - Fatal Errors After Engine Update  (Read 3413 times)
Malvodion

View Profile
« on: January 09, 2020, 23:02 »

Hello! I've been extracting Smite files for a while, mainly to illustrate the game's wiki (thanks for this great tool btw, its been a great help).

It looks like that after a very recent engine update you can't extract anything from the .upk files of this game anymore.
https://i.imgur.com/Ch8cWDW.png

Here's one of the new .upk files as an exaple: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dghp94i7huhovhg/LobbyUI_SF.upk?dl=0

Any help would be really appreciated
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2020, 23:05 »

You've just forgot to override game to "Smite". UModel tries to open game files as UDK (see "game=ue3" in error message) and therefore crashes.
WollieWoltaz

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2020, 23:07 »

Overwriding game to "Smite" and Unreal engine 3 gives the same error.
Could you please look into it Gildor?
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2020, 23:14 »

Well, previously there was an error message "unknown compression flags 514" - there was compression plus simple encryption, I've fixed that (I don't remember if someone contributed that or not).
Now they've changed things - "compression flags 8". What does this mean? This means: "stay away of our data".
WollieWoltaz

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2020, 23:19 »

That's verry unfortunate. Well nothing to do about it then. Will have to make a backup of the live game because I guess they will use this for the live version as well later on.
Grendor

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2020, 23:37 »

Huh, I just extracted this game like three days ago. Seemed to work fine for me. I have the Steam Version.
WollieWoltaz

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2020, 23:39 »

Yeah but i'm talking about the Public Test Server (PTS), they've updated the game files with the latest Season7 update. And I bet they gonna use this also for the live version once the patch comes out.
Grendor

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2020, 23:41 »

Oh, I think that might just be because it's the public test server and they don't want assets accessed before fully released. I had that problem with it before too, and I think the Test Server has different engine flags or whatever compared to the main release.
WollieWoltaz

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2020, 23:48 »

I don't know i never had this problem with the PTS client, only after the recent update. The file structure now looks a lot like the file structure in Paladins. They don't use "CookedPC" anymore but instead they use "CookedPCConsole"
Don't know if that has something to do with it...
Malvodion

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2020, 00:09 »

Oh, I think that might just be because it's the public test server and they don't want assets accessed before fully released. I had that problem with it before too, and I think the Test Server has different engine flags or whatever compared to the main release.

No. The test server has always used the same files the regular game uses. This is what they're doing: https://smite.gamepedia.com/SMITE_Upcoming_update#Engine_Updates
Malvodion

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2020, 00:12 »

Well, previously there was an error message "unknown compression flags 514" - there was compression plus simple encryption, I've fixed that (I don't remember if someone contributed that or not).
Now they've changed things - "compression flags 8". What does this mean? This means: "stay away of our data".

Well, that's terrible. They already made it hard enough to get good materials to create content as it is, now I'm left with nothing...
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2020, 00:17 »

Decreased total install size on PC, cutting it down by almost 50%
This means they switched from LZO compression (which was used before) to the something better.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2020, 11:55 »

I've played a little bit with provided file, it uses oodle compression. Fixed decompression, the file opened with no problems now.
WollieWoltaz

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2020, 21:40 »

Thanks for the fix Gildor. I must say though that i had to delete 2 specific .upk files in order for Umodel to open it. These .upk files are "Startup.upk and Battleclient.upk". after i deleted those, Umodel could open and extract the assets. ( I did overwride to UE3 and smite)

Maybe you wanna take a look:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Aoui6UbDlycfgcU0clU26MROQ4mFyg?e=u9Xbw1

Also like I said they use the same method now as the game Paladins, so all the High Rez textures are now inside the .tfc files. And the textures that are applied on the mesh in Umodel itself are now 64x64. So for someone who wants the high resolution textures you either have to use the tfc extractor or you should make a backup of the live version of the game because there are the 1024x1024 textures still stored in the .upk's itself.

At least.. I think that they gonna use this method also for the live version when the patch comes out.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2020, 00:29 »

Fixed.
Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: