March 29, 2024, 03:36
bigger smaller reset     1020px Wide width Full width Reset   * *

Gildor's Forums

Homepage Facebook Read news on Twitter Youtube channel Github page
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

« previous next »
Print
Author Topic: Batman Arkham Knight loading problem  (Read 988 times)
niceboy-2014

View Profile
« on: February 01, 2020, 18:55 »

Hi. First of all, I wanted to thank you for the hard work you have done over the past few years. The programs you have built have really helped me a lot.
And I apologize in advance for my poor English, and I hope you don't bother reading my text.

I know how much time and information it takes to build a program, and I don't want you to build a new one just for me, but I would really appreciate it if I could talk to you about my problem and you give me some clues about where i can start to solve it.

I want to translate Batman: Arkham Knight and my first tests have been successful. But my main problem is that I have to Decompress a lot of UPK files to do this (more than 1500 files), and when I do that, the game have problem to load Decompressed UPK files and loading symbol apears in game a lot. This ruin game for people with weaker systems.

I wanted to see if you have a solution for this problem.
And here are some ideas I have. A lot of it may not make sense at all, but if you give a general opinion and say which one is more practical, I would appreciate it.

1- pre load most files at the start of the game.
If the game does not load upk files regularly and loads most of the required files at start of the game, the loading symbol may not appear frequently. To do this, I tried to edit ini config files and force game to load more UPKs, but my test failed and I was not able to make any changes to the file execution process.

2- recompress edited upk files.
after adding the translation we can recompress UPKs. But I didn't find any tools for that and I don't know if it's technically possible to build such a tool. if it's possible, I can hire a programmer to create this program. i just need this for Batman: Arkham Knight, not other games.

3- force game to read translated subtitles from Localization folder.
Suppose I had to write each subtitle manually in the INT files and then change the game settings to refer to the subtitle read, but I don't know where to start.

4- force game to read translated subtitles from new upk files.
I have worked with UDK before But I don't think UDK could do any help for Batman: Arkham Knight. And as far as I know making or editing UPK files is either not practical or very difficult.
So instead of making new files, I want to use the game files and just add _JPN (or any other language) to the end of UPK names. The problem with this method is that non-subtitle files will still stay in decompressed UPKs and be used. If there was a program that could delete all the other packages inside UPK files, then this would probably work.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 19:02 by niceboy-2014 » Logged
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2020, 20:40 »

Hi,
Just to see if I understood you - you've unpacked the game, modified localization resources, put files back - the game works well. And you just complying about level loading performance?
niceboy-2014

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2020, 21:21 »

Exactly. because of decompressed upk files, every time player explore city or enter to a new area, have too many annoying loading.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2020, 21:43 »

Didn't you keep ALL files unpacked by chance, or you're copying only MODIFIED unpacked files? It's just "sanity check" from my side.
niceboy-2014

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2020, 21:58 »

just to be clear, i didn't "unpacked" anything. otherwise game didn't loads them.
i only "Decompressed" upk files i needed for translate game with decompress.exe. we have 1650 upk files who contain subtitles, just for main game and i'm not sure how many dlc upk files need to be Decompressed. even without modifying Decompressed files for translation, i have loading problem, because size of Decompressed upk files is too high.
i didn't checked game performance on ssd and i don't have strong pc. but for example, i can run assassin's creed odyssey and finished Arkham Knight without problem before. so i guess that's a problem who other players may have after translation finished.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 22:17 by niceboy-2014 » Logged
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2020, 22:25 »

just to be clear, i didn't "unpacked" anything. otherwise game didn't loads them.
Sure, I used ambiguous term Smiley

I strongly doubt about any huge performance problems caused by decompressed files. on PC which CAN run Batman. There was UPK compressor made for Mass Effect 3, I talked to this tool's author - it seems it's a part of ME3Explorer tool. I have no idea if ME3 and Batman has differences in package file structures which will make the tool incompatible, however you may try it.

Another possible advise is to use NTFS "compressed" attribute when installing localization patch, I believe it will bring better compression than LZO. However
1) this will require tuning installer (I don't know if it is ever possible)
2) this feature will work only with NTFS - I don't know how many people who run Batman game (it requires more or less powerful PC!) still on FAT32.
niceboy-2014

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2020, 23:09 »

Thanks for the answer.  laugh
I'll try this tool. But I think the second method you mentioned will solve the problem. as far as i know most players in my region have NTFS And if it's worked for me, I can recommend this as a last resort to those who can't upgrade their systems. i just hope most players don't have that kind of problem.
i will test this and tell you result.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 23:14 by niceboy-2014 » Logged
niceboy-2014

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2020, 20:51 »

Well, I tried both methods.   undecided
As expected, the ME3Explorer tools wasn't compatible with Batman or at least I couldn't use it properly to solve my problem. If needed, I can upload some upk files from Batman for you to take a look.

The second method, though I had high hopes for it, didn't work too. I didn't see any changes in the frequency or timing of the loading, and I suspect that maybe it takes even a little bit longer now.
After I used the NTFS Compression size of 1650 upk files reduced from 12.4 gb to 8.94 gb. But the size of the original, compressed version of these files was 6.71 gb. so original Compression was better for sure.

Apart from these tests, I also ran the game on ssd and after that, there was no problem with the loading. I don't know how much this will affect the loading, but I use ddr3 RAM. maybe this makes everything worse. It might be better to test the game with a pc who has ddr4 RAM too and see what happen.

Yesterday I also found an XCom tool that can compress upk files. When I tried it on Batman files game didn't crashed but when I got into the mission area there was no sign of the characters and mission didn't started. I'm not a programmer and it's for Android, so I can't say anything about this program, but you think we can use this for batman with some change on source files?
https://github.com/bogsen/XComAndroidTools
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 00:56 by niceboy-2014 » Logged
Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: