March 29, 2024, 19:41
bigger smaller reset     1020px Wide width Full width Reset   * *

Gildor's Forums

Homepage Facebook Read news on Twitter Youtube channel Github page
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

« previous next »
Print
Author Topic: Dead by Daylight - Hair  (Read 694 times)
Towy

View Profile
« on: February 27, 2020, 22:14 »

Hello, if anyone has messed around with the Dead by Daylight model files and knows how to fix the hair please help me out here.

So this is how it looks in UE Viewer:

and this is how it looks when it's imported into Blender:

Sorry if this is a newbie question but I've been at it for quite awhile trying to fix it myself and I can't think of anywhere else to ask how to fix a ripped 3D model. I feel like the 3D planes with transparent hair is exactly the way it is in-game but I just can't get it to work on my end and since I haven't touched Blender for awhile (Before the UI update) that's also somewhat slowing me down.

Also, if anyone happens to know what this _ORM texture is for, I'd also be thankful. At first I thought it was the prestige blood on the base model but it shows up in all alternate costumes as well. Here's what it looks like in UE:

I don't think it's dirt and I don't think it updates with blood when you get hit in-game...but maybe it does? Not sure. (Note that this in a separate texture, it's not ruining the original model's texture, I just wondered what it was.)

Anyway, thanks in advance! Going to keep trying to fix it myself as well.

*edit: Additionally, it seems to have two hair textures. The base and what I believe is an Alpha mask, it's half back and has white hair's on the right side. I guess I need to somehow combine those two.*
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 22:49 by Towy » Logged
Arty

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2020, 23:54 »

This is a little complex of a topic but I'll try and explain the best I can.

ORM is an acronym, standing for "Occlusion, Roughness, Metallic." Those textures are stored in the separate RGB channels of the texture and can be separated with a Separate RGB node. R is Occlusion, G is Roughness, and B is Metallic. Hair works a little different. UE4 Hair is a quite complex topic, so your best bet is to first apply the basic textures-Diffuse, Opacity, and Normals-before heading to the more complex features of the hair. The Opacity texture is an alpha mask, and plugging it into the Alpha slider of the Principled Shader (or by using it in the Fac of a Mix Shader of Transparent and Principled shaders) renders the white parts visible and all the black to be omitted out. If you're using EEVEE, this effect won't show up unless you switch the blend type in the settings to Alpha Blend (or Alpha Hashed), but it shows up in Cycles automatically in the render-though to get it to show up in Look Dev you'll have to switch the blend type in EEVEE. Oh, and that dirt/blood texture in the viewport is not important if you just want to port the character with no special blood or dirt effects, and since I've never added those effects to any of my ports I couldn't explain it to you.

If you have no idea what i'm talking about still, I can provide some screenshots if you would prefer.
Towy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2020, 01:33 »

This is a little complex of a topic but I'll try and explain the best I can.

ORM is an acronym, standing for "Occlusion, Roughness, Metallic." Those textures are stored in the separate RGB channels of the texture and can be separated with a Separate RGB node. R is Occlusion, G is Roughness, and B is Metallic. Hair works a little different. UE4 Hair is a quite complex topic, so your best bet is to first apply the basic textures-Diffuse, Opacity, and Normals-before heading to the more complex features of the hair. The Opacity texture is an alpha mask, and plugging it into the Alpha slider of the Principled Shader (or by using it in the Fac of a Mix Shader of Transparent and Principled shaders) renders the white parts visible and all the black to be omitted out. If you're using EEVEE, this effect won't show up unless you switch the blend type in the settings to Alpha Blend (or Alpha Hashed), but it shows up in Cycles automatically in the render-though to get it to show up in Look Dev you'll have to switch the blend type in EEVEE. Oh, and that dirt/blood texture in the viewport is not important if you just want to port the character with no special blood or dirt effects, and since I've never added those effects to any of my ports I couldn't explain it to you.

If you have no idea what i'm talking about still, I can provide some screenshots if you would prefer.

Thank you! I think my issue is resolved. I plugged both into a Principled BSDF the way you said, it had a weird gray sheen to it that was removed by zeroing out the specular and after that it still didn't quite look the same but after changing it to Alpha Clip Blend Mode and increasing the Clip threshold, voila!:

Thank you again, Arty!
Arty

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2020, 01:42 »

You're welcome! Happy to help, anytime.
Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: