March 29, 2024, 00:30
bigger smaller reset     1020px Wide width Full width Reset   * *

Gildor's Forums

Homepage Facebook Read news on Twitter Youtube channel Github page
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

« previous next »
Print
Author Topic: converting models to hl2/hl  (Read 1765 times)
grml4d

View Profile
« on: May 18, 2020, 14:18 »

i am back after a long time.. i wonder if you can convert models from unreal games [ with a little donation ] ?
or if you updated so well your tool that now i ll be able to do it myself ...

i am still wanting  to convert few models from xcom that uses unreal 3 engine ; as well as few monsters from the batman's arkham .. more from the first episodes than the last ..  i liked a lot poison ivy and the nurses...
i also would like to get the models in hl mdl format..
there are more and more models of hl2 that are ported to hl... they render the same... i even prefer them to the original..[ i like to have all files in one mdl, than trees of folders...]

i check if i can convert..and will be back to read replies
mark2580

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2020, 15:50 »

Please decide: do you want models for hl1 or hl2 or garry's mod or sfm. MDL Gold Source and Source Engine are completely different formats and Gold Source has not been relevant for a long time.

MARK2580
grml4d

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2020, 16:28 »

thank you.. i want hl1 and i think the tool use to convert from hl2 to hl1 is the "crowbar" made by the "steamcommunity"
it handles as well hl or hl2 files .
i like gmod and buy one recently.. their "workshop is big but is a big mess either..  i was interested to learn about the assembled hls maps .. but the maker says nothing and the steamcommunity does the same.. i prefered when that was the forum.. it was a gold mine.. [ too many hackers killed the forum concept..]

the new model viewer has gained a lot.. i found the list of games very cool.. one thing is missing : to add the path where is the game.. with steam that installs in all hds or the development of "lan use" [ with the right to play all games owned ]
and the 1 Gb/s speed.. that would help noob like me for the viewer to find the right files.. and extract them correctly

edit : i found how to open a file... that takes a long time and that was a texture.. [ may be you could store more..and use some caches for displaying what are the objects.. ]  i have my ideas about models i want to "resuse" : extract from the game .
so i do not care if that take times to read files : i prefer it to be long once than long for each files...
a thumbnail showing a little image on the content + a check box for extraction can be great..

edit : so after learning and writing :
xcomBureau is the game i want to extract the models for trying to convert them 
it has a full size of  13.3 GB (14,381,243,449 bytes)

DLC : 2.39 GB (2,573,572,291 bytes)

AUDIO : 2.62 GB (2,818,514,803 bytes)
LOCAL : 34.7 MB (36,408,010 bytes)
MOVIES: 1.21 GB (1,308,287,772 bytes)

GAME-FILES : TEXTURES ET MODELS :
CookedPCConsole : 6.82 GB (7,332,858,052 bytes)  3872 FILES
DLC : 1.81 GB (1,947,969,750 bytes)  2318 FILES
when i launch the unreal viewer and points it into the right folder.. magic it finds a lot of models.. if i use a website showing monsters and names to find the correct one out of the 6.000 files : here is what happened :

if i do search muton : i find 0 ... same with mut ..
so model is hided with another name..
that is where a list made by forum users could help to pick quickly the right model..
may be the pick list can be in html so new user can see pics instead of name only..

doing a search snipe : more than 21 files most of them are having some localisation tag :  LOC_FRA ..
SO THAT COULD BE COOL TO USE THE ENGLISH /INTERNATIONAL  or only one of them
but no to show them [ all ] [ just my "two cents" ]

by the way loading the bigger one shows nothing ..
what is the trick to have it [with the correct textures..] ?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 20:50 by grml4d » Logged
grml4d

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2020, 07:15 »

there was a "silent update" .   Angry kiss  i go check it
grml4d

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2020, 21:33 »

i found a "good" video on youtube.. https://youtu.be/1KYLmPyDnik
the "second scan" in tools is not a bad idea for those searching "aliens in bureau.."
by now i am saving the "models" but gildor should try to make his software more multi-threads at least for saving files functions [and scanning ] my cpu is a i7 so instead of using it a 10 % and 400 Mo of ram .. it could do the job using 80% of cpu and 4 Go of ram

i just have a crash after few files extracteds :

Unable to write 2073575 bytes at pos=0x12
FFileWriter::Serialize:File=Male_Head_10_N.tga <- WriteTGA <- ExportTexture <- ExportObject:Texture2D'Male_Head_10_N' <- ExportMaterial:MaterialInstanceConstant'Male_Head_10_INST' <- ExportObject:MaterialInstanceConstant'Male_Head_10_INST' <- ExportObjects <- ExportPackages <- CUmodelApp::ShowPackageUI <- Main:umodel_build=1190

this beast got my 10 Go ..
not easy to handle..this software looks great but it misses a good hellp files and "clear options" in the gui...
i ll see what i can do of these Go

edit : apparently umodel is not able to "re read" or display the extracted models and files from the bureau..
in the movie that part after extraction is for 3ds max or so...
but that should be great to reread the "extracted tree" with umodel....that is very light..
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 21:40 by grml4d » Logged
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2020, 10:28 »

by now i am saving the "models" but gildor should try to make his software more multi-threads at least for saving files functions [and scanning ] my cpu is a i7 so instead of using it a 10 % and 400 Mo of ram .. it could do the job using 80% of cpu and 4 Go of ram
My CPU has 6 cores (12 threads), however I decided not to use multi-threading in UModel for some reasons.
grml4d

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2020, 00:46 »

you should use dual cpu mainboards.. i do it from the pentium 2 ...300 Mhzx2 .. that was already Tyan and Intel Mobo ..  supermicro makes good boards either.. you can buy some new mobo with second hand cpu..at ebay.. that is a good choice
and most of the time quite cheap ..
i re-use my ddr3 and cpu.. with unused mainboards made many years ago..the more i "know them" the better i use them ..

i used again your "unreal model viewer" the woman that made the tutorial is very cool.. [ if you get banned by your wife ..marry her <3 <3 ] at least her movie shows all : the good and bad side of your soft..

let me explain : first bug : i tried to read the "extracted folder" and receive this message :

ERROR: Too many unknown files - bad root directory (S:\zozo51)?
appRegisterGameFile:S:\zozo51/mothership_Landing/MaterialInstanceConstant/fx_Ambient_Generic_03_Mat_INST_glow.props.txt <- ScanGameDirectory <- ScanGameDirectory <- ScanGameDirectory <- appSetRootDirectory:dir=S:\zozo51 <- Main:umodel_build=1190

i think this a very big mistake that your "viewer is not able to read what it extracted.. it is like word not able to read doc files .. ?? no ?
plus what your software "extracted" is nearly only readable [ badly ] by your own software and pluggin...
i mean that if i look at your pluging for 3 d max :
 materials.. :"look in subfolder"

or the textures and others files are not under the mesh of the model there are in others folders at the same level..
you should try to organize files so they are read with the models by your script or program

i extracted all files of bureau xcom [ and was able to see aliens in 3d max ] , here are the "figures"
the game folder with game files :
10.7 GB (11,497,149,833 bytes)
12.4 GB (13,331,595,264 bytes)

Found 5659 game files (1585 skipped) at path "Q:\xcomBureau"
Scanned game directory in 4.6 sec, 14475 allocs, 0.00 MBytes serialized in 0 calls.

then after the extraction : files are using nearly 100 GB

92.5 GB (99,323,486,666 bytes)
236 GB (253,691,953,152 bytes)

but there are so many folders that it takes nearly 150 GB only for them .. another reason to rethink the writing / extracting of files...

may be using a "tools running at the same time of the game" for learning the reading and construction of models .. or others ways could be needed and helping.. because like shows the movie tutorial : the point is the heads are most of the time not with the model , as well as the weapon...or the textures.. [ may be you can offer "reduced choices" by using sizes , but a list make by hands of the forum should be at end the most accurate way to rebuild models ]

may be using a more expressive name : like models extract and view could be better..   not every body has 250 GB of storage per game..

did you tested to play with "all files extracted" on a ssd ? to compare if that helps in files loading or gameplay "speed of action" .. ?

i was also able to view an alien with your program ..   grin embarrassed but like with 3dsmax that is not easy to manage position of the model or angle to view it..  i hope to be able to view animations..
have a nice day gildor
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2020, 10:51 »

i used again your "unreal model viewer" the woman that made the tutorial is very cool.. [ if you get banned by your wife ..marry her <3 <3 ] at least her movie shows all : the good and bad side of your soft..
What video you're talking about?

let me explain : first bug : i tried to read the "extracted folder" and receive this message :

ERROR: Too many unknown files - bad root directory (S:\zozo51)?
This error happens by intention. At early stage of development there were errors when user selected say "C:" as a root, then umodel spent minutes scanning the folder, and then crashing with something. So, I'm verifying if directory really contains UE data. I understand that some people trash into the game's folder, so umodel ignores exported files. I've just updated the list - added ignorance of .txt and .png files, so user can continue to trash into the game folder.

plus what your software "extracted" is nearly only readable [ badly ] by your own software and pluggin...
i mean that if i look at your pluging for 3 d max :
psk/psa could be imported into 3ds Max, Maya, Blemder, UE2-UE3.
glTF could be imported into Blender, Unity, partially into UE4.
What's wrong?

or the textures and others files are not under the mesh of the model there are in others folders at the same level..
you should try to organize files so they are read with the models by your script or program
Textures are usually SHARED between models. Should I COPY them multiple times then?
Textures, materials, EVERYTHING is exported to the folders where they exist in Unreal itself, where designer put them.

but there are so many folders that it takes nearly 150 GB only for them .. another reason to rethink the writing / extracting of files...
What do you mean? You're unhappy with folder size? Extract less. I can't save files smaller than they are. For UE3 game, use "uncook" option, it attempts to eliminate duplicated files, if they are.

may be using a more expressive name : like models extract and view could be better..   not every body has 250 GB of storage per game..
You can open a VIEWER and extract what you want. There's an option for that.

did you tested to play with "all files extracted" on a ssd ? to compare if that helps in files loading or gameplay "speed of action" .. ?
I think yes. However I'm not doing that so often as SSD has limited resource, and I prefer to save it for something more useful, e.g. for work.
grml4d

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2020, 11:27 »

the very good tutorial..

i exported in a new folder onto a new hard drive having a big empty space...
i installed a copy of umodel.exe in the root folder of the game.. that helps with path..
i want to grab the model from the game and create hl models .. [ if you played sweet half life ?? ]
the best choice is to use 3dsmax ..or blender .. do you know a site where i can get get plugins for conversion formats ?

that is sad that your tool is not able to re-use the extracted files , because he reads models with "textures" applied..
may be during this second "pass" or reading : your tool could use 3ds max pluggings to export intot others formats the models and its animations..

when i write : your software is the only one to read "extracted files" [ beside game itself ] that is true.. 3dsmax only read files using your pluging : i mean you are free to "organize" extracted files like you want to get the best results in 3dsmax.. and others readers..  the goal is not to have 250 Go to browse for a dude like me .. but the few Mo of aliens of the game

there is a lot of copy of the same files + a lot of folders + a lot of file with small sizes...  in the "archive" these have no weight but with hard drive : a folder or a file of 1ko : uses one cluster each..

i think your last sentence is wise ...but selecting the right files for the right models is very not easy with your tool .. i think you have to change the extraction method and make your tool able to reread extracted folders..
then like shows the tutorial movie.. you ll have to add functions for adding weapon and head and "missing textures" to the model user wants to export ..
the woman makes that part very quickly .. but that should have been long before she find the correct files ...  [ that is why i think you should create a database of monsters..and games.. people will not have to "re-search" for a same model : all the files in the middle of 250 Go...   Tongue Lips Sealed
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2020, 12:08 »

the very good tutorial..
I saw this tutorial before. It's a little bit outdated (UModel has newer features after that), it has some mistakes caused additional hand work (e.g. reordering skeleton, manual material loading), but it's good. There's no references to any problems with UModel or 3ds Max importer.

the best choice is to use 3dsmax ..or blender .. do you know a site where i can get get plugins for conversion formats ?
blender can load psk and gltf. No idea about conversion of those to HL model formats.

that is sad that your tool is not able to re-use the extracted files , because he reads models with "textures" applied..
I have no idea what did you mean here.

when i write : your software is the only one to read "extracted files" [ beside game itself ] that is true.. 3dsmax only read files using your pluging : i mean you are free to "organize" extracted files like you want to get the best results in 3dsmax.. and others readers..  the goal is not to have 250 Go to browse for a dude like me .. but the few Mo of aliens of the game
You always should know where model is located, there's no way to automatically help you with locating them. Regarding textures, 3ds Max importer helps with that, if properly configured. If mesh has no textures in a viewer, then UModel can't recognize how to build a material, so you should do that automatically. Ideally, in 3ds Max you'll get the same model representation as in a VIEWER, but some people (as in tutorial, and may be you too) are using only exporter part of my tool, without verifying how it could appear.

there is a lot of copy of the same files + a lot of folders + a lot of file with small sizes...  in the "archive" these have no weight but with hard drive : a folder or a file of 1ko : uses one cluster each..
As I told you, use "uncook" export option. This will eliminate copies for UE3 games. Without that, models will be duplicated for each level (usually upk and folder has suffix _SF for that) - this is how UE3 cooker works.

i think your last sentence is wise ...but selecting the right files for the right models is very not easy with your tool .. i think you have to change the extraction method and make your tool able to reread extracted folders..
Use viewer. Locate a model. Press Ctrl+X, with selecting NEW folder for export. You'll get only a mesh, textures and animations which you've loaded into the viewer. No mess.

all the files in the middle of 250 Go...
There's no way to reduce the size, unless you'll
- use PNG for textures, they're smaller than TGA, but takes more time to export because of compression
- use uncook to eliminate UE3 duplicates, as I mentioned already twice - you'll be surprised with how much space this will save, and how easy it would be to locate objects for a mesh
- export just what you need, not the whole game
grml4d

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2020, 14:35 »

i am not used to use 3d max.. mostly because it was very expensive.. so i can not afford "wasting money" to buy it.. beside/despite i am from france.. i mean that means we : the people : are not having so much in the pocket...when that comes to money.. plus having money would turn us into so fucking lazzy arabs islamists FOR SURE.. in the mind of our dictators leadors from PARIS ...
that would disturb us from working and having more ideas they can use and sell for their PROFITS..
[ end is coming for them .. mostly : this way of life : the Monarchienlie [ name of the coming revolution for france and europe.. + world.. like in 1789....] ]

so to speak i uploaded a gallery : https://postimg.cc/gallery/7JFRNCy

your tool for extraction shows models like that :

that is what i name with textures applied , compare with following pics

while 3dsmax or others are making this rendering :

without any colors or animations.. or head or weapon .. [ previous little roswell comes with head ;'] ]

i made an other full extraction of all files of the game with uncook option and the other above either..
the results has a lot of less folders ..but it uses more spaces and has more files..

348,745 Files, 3,469 Folders
340,392 Files, 9,439 Folders

93.2 GB (100,157,946,307 bytes)
240 GB (258,547,384,320 bytes)

by the way i make progress using your tool.. i ll check the others formats of exports..
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 14:38 by grml4d » Logged
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2020, 14:45 »

There's one more option for export: "don't overwrite already exported files", it might speedup export (it's "advanced", so it would be hard for me to explain what it does).
Regarding number of files and amount of exported content with "uncook" option, it shouldn't be larger. Separate folders might be larger, but not the overall export folder.
Also, take a look at the first screenshot. See "Sectoid_Slave" on the first like - this is the name of upk as it was at design time, before cooking the game. When using "uncook" option, you'll get a model in a folder with that name.
grml4d

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2020, 16:42 »

there is a much more difference when using the other format : gltf
it exports 2 files only..
your tool renders well the model with the texture well applied.. i checked few others that reads this format and they do not show so well the texture..

discussing about rendering.. i saw that if i already use a 3d tool than your viewer does not show 3d models.. only textures...
i have pcs with two ati or with one ati and one nvidia.. : i mean that would be cool if you attach your software by renderers..and let user play with multiple softwares at once..
same with the menu ..when a object is loaded there are new menu.. may be you could also use an icon toolbar
at last but not least.. you can update sdl2.. latest is 2.12 while your is only 2.10

i think you should try to create a more gui tool : that is able to reread "extracted folders or files from games"
then able to display the others elements like heads and weapons plus their textures... and save them in hl goldsource and hl2 source models formats.. [ as you are an idtech engine lover.. may be you could also add it as a save / import/export files : there are a lot of idtech4 models i would love to reuse..] beside others

i found the screenshoot... function : so it was a good adding
may be you should create a system-name so the viewer is able to refind the 3d model or texture " captured " when the user "watch" it.. or it can save a "file" in the folder extracted to mark it ; same while browsing to remind where user stopped..

Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2020, 16:52 »

discussing about rendering.. i saw that if i already use a 3d tool than your viewer does not show 3d models.. only textures...
i have pcs with two ati or with one ati and one nvidia.. : i mean that would be cool if you attach your software by renderers..and let user play with multiple softwares at once..
No idea what did you mean here

same with the menu ..when a object is loaded there are new menu.. may be you could also use an icon toolbar
Toolbar is not planned, mainly because somebody has to create icons - I can't do that myself (nobody loves programmer's art)

at last but not least.. you can update sdl2.. latest is 2.12 while your is only 2.10
I'm updating libraries only when needed. No point doing that right now.

i think you should try to create a more gui tool : that is able to reread "extracted folders or files from games"
There's SkelEdit which can show psk files and play psa animations on them. Tga/png could be viewed with wide range of software (I'm using FastStone Image Viewer)

then able to display the others elements like heads and weapons plus their textures... and save them in hl goldsource and hl2 source models formats.. [ as you are an idtech engine lover.. may be you could also add it as a save / import/export files : there are a lot of idtech4 models i would love to reuse..] beside others
I'm NOT "idtech engine lover". I did some work on Quake 2 over early years of my 3D/GameDev development, but nothing more.

may be you should create a system-name so the viewer is able to refind the 3d model or texture " captured " when the user "watch" it.. or it can save a "file" in the folder extracted to mark it ; same while browsing to remind where user stopped..
You can always see the model name on screenshot, unless you'll disable texts.
grml4d

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2020, 10:17 »

if i use a software : like a model viewer that uses direct3d to render the model .. like your tool does..
then your tool is no longer able to show "meshes" of packages : it shows only textures...
as i have two or more vga cards .. i can have two or three models viewer at the same time..: one per display/cards

i could try to create icons...or you can open a forum challenge ;']

skeledit is made by you .. i downloaded it but not tested it yet.. i have also to "search in the middle of my 500 Go of bureau extracted files the aliens models i will be able to re-use..
i also test others softwares that handles "what is missing in yours" :
Ultimate Unwrap3D Pro or Unfold3d_UVWizard ..
the first has a lot of formats for importing files...[ but most of them are looking having bug.. like the one for the half-life model ]

but those you also use : psk and gltf look better at the "texture part" ..
i find they both shows too many icons when opening them .. i prefer icons to appear when they become useable..[that helps learning the software instead of some "jet-fighters airplane ready for gulf-war" looks.. some has ...]
it is like some software-shareware .. , that like ultimate unwrap are not able to save before you paid them.. some are making the surprise to only save with few formats than they are able to import files.. or to save badly..like that seems to be the case here [ at least for the bitmaps part.. ]
in the case of uu , i wonder how looks the "bitmap .. "

for the gltf : i see no problemo

but with psk .. i wonder if there is not some "rotation bug" in the 3 D view...
bitmaps are cool ..

Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: