April 18, 2024, 23:46
bigger smaller reset     1020px Wide width Full width Reset   * *

Gildor's Forums

Homepage Facebook Read news on Twitter Youtube channel Github page
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

« previous next »
Print
Author Topic: UDK/psa: ReadFile beyond EOF  (Read 471 times)
Dijon

View Profile
« on: September 04, 2020, 22:33 »

I'm finding that I cannot import psa files from more recent games (Jedi Fallen Order, XCOM 2) into UDK (neither 2013 nor 2015). The meshes import without problem but the animations all say "ReadFile beyond EOF" (or something close to that). I can view the meshes and animations inside of UE Viewer, but cannot import any animations exported by UE Viewer into UDK. Please tell me that I'm doing something wrong and that the animations can be imported. Thanks.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 10:24 by Gildor » Logged
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2020, 23:22 »

Can you import these PSA files into Blender or Max? Can you view them with SkelEdit?
Which version of UE Viewer did you use? Latest, older, custom?
Dijon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2020, 23:55 »

Can you import these PSA files into Blender or Max? Can you view them with SkelEdit?
Which version of UE Viewer did you use? Latest, older, custom?

Hi Gildor,

I can import the psa files into Max 2018 and they play without a problem, just like they do in UE Viewer.

I didn't know you could import psa files into SkelEdit. I thought you could only import ska files.

I'm using the most recent version of UE Viewer
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2020, 00:36 »

No idea then. I tested things with UDK many many years ago, so I can't verify anything.
If you could show the the full (and correct) error message, I could find and try to diagnose the problem using UE3 source code. I don't have too much time to install it myself and perform series of tests myself.
Dijon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2020, 03:57 »

No idea then. I tested things with UDK many many years ago, so I can't verify anything.
If you could show the the full (and correct) error message, I could find and try to diagnose the problem using UE3 source code. I don't have too much time to install it myself and perform series of tests myself.

I can still import assets made in UE3. Games made with UE4 and UE 3.5 (XCOM 2), however, I've had no success. I've attached a screen shot of the UDK log. The program seems to be stuck in an endless loop, always producing the same error. I was hoping that someone still uses UDK and could tell me if they have also experienced this.

* UDK.png (20.92 KB, 971x507 - viewed 112 times.)
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2020, 10:08 »

I've analyzed UE3 source and ActorX plugin, made an attempt to make psa export as much close to ActorX plugin as possible.
It would be nice if you'd test it (and provide results to me) ASAP.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 10:25 by Gildor » Logged
Dijon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2020, 16:26 »

I've analyzed UE3 source and ActorX plugin, made an attempt to make psa export as much close to ActorX plugin as possible.
It would be nice if you'd test it (and provide results to me) ASAP.

I'd be very happy to test and provide feedback. I think I'm about 6 hours behind you but I'll test as soon as you send something. Thank you for doing this. As I'm probably the only one that needs this, please let me know how much of a donation would be reasonable. Hopefully you accept Payal.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2020, 16:36 »

1. I've uploaded new UModel right before asking "please test" Smiley
2. I've asked about "ASAP" just because it is VERY often happens that someone asks for a bug fix, I'm doing that in (say) 1-2 hours, sending "done", and getting "yes, it works" in a month or two.
3. Not worth donating at all.
4. Not "just you" need this. Psk/psa formats came from Unreal engine, and if Unreal engine can't read it - it is a BLOCKER bug, and I need to fix it.
Dijon

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2020, 20:00 »

I just tried it and there is no change. Given that most would use this for UE4 or Unity, the fact that it works in Max is probably all they need as they have to export the models as FBX. Therefore, I probably am the only one still using UDK and my offer still stands.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2020, 20:26 »

Well, I've found recent UDK, installed it. Exported a sample mesh with animation from Paragon, and imported into UDK without any problem.

Dijon

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2020, 20:48 »

I have attached a file with one psk and a couple of the animations that go with it. Would you mind trying to import them and tell me how it goes? Thanks.

* FallenOrder.7z (489.79 KB - downloaded 33 times.)
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2020, 20:56 »

I see these files were exported in November 2019. You had to use the latest UModel build and re-export things!
Dijon

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2020, 21:02 »

I think I see how that could have happened. I'll try again
Dijon

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2020, 05:16 »

It works, but I feel like a dummy. My shortcut pointed to the wrong folder for Umodel so even though I was updating the file, it was not the updated file that was being called. I have re-exported all of the files again and psa files import without problem. I'm really sorry to have wasted your time on this, but without your help I would never have found the error. Thank you SO much.
Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: