March 28, 2024, 20:25
bigger smaller reset     1020px Wide width Full width Reset   * *

Gildor's Forums

Homepage Facebook Read news on Twitter Youtube channel Github page
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

« previous next »
Print
Author Topic: ActorX Exporter for 3ds Max 2012  (Read 23960 times)
Nikolai

Die, by the hand of Nikolai! 'Ey, that rhymed!

View Profile WWW
« on: August 11, 2011, 02:21 »

I've been modding on the UnrealEngine2 for quite some time now, mainly Star Wars: Republic Commando. I've had to say that your UE Viewer program has been most helpful in my projects, so I thank you for your amazing discoveries. However, I have the most recent version of Autodesk's 3ds Max, 2012. I don't know how well you are with MAX Script, but I am a newbie at that, so I am wondering if you could help me. I know that EpicGames has released an ActorX exporter for 3ds Max, but none of the versions, not even 2011, works with 2012, as I keep receiving plug-in errors. Futhermore, converting .pskx to .ase export works fine (into UE2), but I cannot convert anything else to .ase and have it import into the UE2. But more importantly, I am more concerned about mesh and animation importing. So if you know any other ActorX exporters for 3ds Max, that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help!
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 11:56 »

I've been modding on the UnrealEngine2 for quite some time now, mainly Star Wars: Republic Commando. I've had to say that your UE Viewer program has been most helpful in my projects, so I thank you for your amazing discoveries.
You are welcome
I know that EpicGames has released an ActorX exporter for 3ds Max, but none of the versions, not even 2011, works with 2012, as I keep receiving plug-in errors.
you should either use another Max version or wait for new plugin version (did you get these plugins from UDK distribution or from the site?)
Futhermore, converting .pskx to .ase export works fine (into UE2), but I cannot convert anything else to .ase and have it import into the UE2.
pskx and ase are static mesh formats. Anything else is psk?? psk should not be converted to ase, psk can be imported into UnrealEd without conversion.
But more importantly, I am more concerned about mesh and animation importing. So if you know any other ActorX exporters for 3ds Max, that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help!
There is no other ActorX exporters for Max exists.
Nikolai

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 23:52 »

you should either use another Max version or wait for new plugin version (did you get these plugins from UDK distribution or from the site?)
I got the ActorX exporter from the EpicGames site. That does remind me, I do have UDK 2012, so maybe I should try it's ActorX export... But the factor of backwards compatability may prevent it from working. Futhermore, the XSI exporter doesn't work for my version of Softimage XSI either >.>.
pskx and ase are static mesh formats. Anything else is psk?? psk should not be converted to ase, psk can be imported into UnrealEd without conversion.
I understand that. I think I meant to say, I cannot convert anything to a .ase static format that isn't already a .pskx. For example, I took a model of a building that I downloaded for free in a .3ds format. Using 3ds Max, I converted it to a .ase format, only converting the Mesh Definition, Materials, Mapping Coordinates, and Geometry. UnrealEditor continues to freeze and stop working after it has completed the "Indexing Verticies" process. However, when I convert a pre-existing .pskx model to a .ase using the same settings in 3ds Max, it imports perfectly.  Undecided
There is no other ActorX exporters for Max exists.
Figures... thanks again for your help!
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 01:51 »

I got the ActorX exporter from the EpicGames site.
ActorX is updated in UDK distribution now.
I do have UDK 2012
There is no "UDK 2012" Smiley
I understand that. I think I meant to say, I cannot convert anything to a .ase static format that isn't already a .pskx. For example, I took a model of a building that I downloaded for free in a .3ds format. Using 3ds Max, I converted it to a .ase format, only converting the Mesh Definition, Materials, Mapping Coordinates, and Geometry. UnrealEditor continues to freeze and stop working after it has completed the "Indexing Verticies" process. However, when I convert a pre-existing .pskx model to a .ase using the same settings in 3ds Max, it imports perfectly.  Undecided
Try older Max version ...
Nikolai

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 19:53 »

ActorX is updated in UDK distribution now.
Yeah, I realized that after I tried plugging it in, that it was the same :/
There is no "UDK 2012" Smiley
My mistake, I meant UDK 2011, March release, I think.
Try older Max version ...
I downgraded to 3ds Max 2011, and my meshes finally imported! I almost passed out when they imported perfectly... However, that was in UnrealEngine2Runtime... as for my Republic Commando mod, the UnrealEditor crashes every time I try to import a mesh... and it's just a frickin box! Haha... if you know any ideas to help this problem, thanks, but if not, I understand.

Thanks again,
Nikolai
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011, 01:52 »

ActorX format were changed (extended) a bit during UE evolution. Probably you should use ActorX plugin from UDN UE2 page (and of course, use Max of the version which is supported by that plugin).

Try a trick: import mesh which you want to put into your UE2 game into UDK package, export it with umodel and place exported psk into your game. psk files produced by umodel are successfully loaded into UT2004 UnrealEd, so may be this will help.
Nikolai

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 18:57 »

I can't beleive it! It really worked! I did exactly what you said, imported it into UnrealEngine2, saved the package, exported it with umodel, and then it imported into RepCom UnrealEd!!! Thanks so much for making this program, it has really helped me a lot! I will be sure to credit you in my mod(s)!

Thanks again,
Nikolai
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 20:21 »

Smiley
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, 14:57 »

ActorX Exporter for 3ds Max 2012 is available here