Gildor's Forums

Author Topic: Help with Sa2 Files  (Read 2280 times)
Mircea

View Profile
Help with Sa2 Files
« on: September 29, 2016, 14:33 »

Hey There i recently played around with sudden attack 2  files and i noticed that some models exept the characters have bad normal maps 
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
Re: Help with Sa2 Files
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 14:37 »

Hi. This texture looks rather as heightmap than normal map.
Mircea

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2016, 14:43 »

the Normal map  has the RGB texture info only from the R channel and the alpha hold the G but the B channel is not there is filled with R i modified the texture and this is the result but the information from the B channel is lost since is only white there but when i extract the characters they do have the correct normal maps
Mircea

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 14:45 »

maybe the UPK has it in other way or is broken somehow becouse the Character files are okay and the weapons+fp stuff are not
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2016, 15:02 »

UModel displays exactly what's in upk file. The texture looks monochrome to me, so all 3 color channels are same. Normal map information is lost.
I was wrong - the texture is not height map, because it has shadows. It looks like some precomputed lighting for specific light angle.
Mircea

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2016, 15:06 »

Well not realy! In game is okay but in Umodel is not maybe is something that the app does not get maybe it cant read something?
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2016, 15:11 »

The secret is that Unreal engine uses shaders to produce materials. It can use some math on texture data before using it as normal map. Actually, normal map is also processed through some formula to get lit pixel on the screen. Different texture type means different lighting equation in shader. So, there's no error, just some non-standard lighting technique.
Mircea

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2016, 15:41 »

ow yeah Your right xD Damn Unreal engine! i gues i have to work only with the 2 normal channels that is giving me :\ atleast they work a bit!
Mircea

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2016, 17:45 »

Well it was supposed to be looking like this i Smiley
Jump to: