March 29, 2024, 10:32
bigger smaller reset     1020px Wide width Full width Reset   * *

Gildor's Forums

Homepage Facebook Read news on Twitter Youtube channel Github page
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

« previous next »
Print
Author Topic: Gears of War 3 - Carmine's Right Arm Problem  (Read 19181 times)
Dijon

View Profile
« on: March 04, 2012, 01:18 »

I was wondering if anyone else is seeing problems with Clayton Carmine's right arm. When I view the model using UE Viewer, the arm looks fine, but when I export the model and then import it either into 3DS Max 2011 or directly into UDK, the mesh on the right arm is not smooth. Here are some screen shots that describe what I mean.

Model in UE Viewer

Model in 3DS Max 2011 (looks the same in UDK)
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 11:50 »

Umodel does not export normals (there is no place for them in psk format). You should perform automatic smoothing in Max. Never seen problems with importing psk into UnrealEd - are you using psk or fbx format? (fbx has some problems with normals)
Dreadfred
Sponsor

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 19:24 »

I get the same problem, the uvs are detached (happens with a few games eg. Catwoman in the batman game). Seems to only effect multi uv channel models or maybe fbx splits them when you use tangents+binormals in the export options?
Dijon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 22:40 »

Gildor,

The default format that UE Viewer exports Carmine's model is psk. I only point this out because, as Dreadfred has indicated, Carmine's model uses two UV sets and I initially couldn't figure out why I couldn't see the second set. Many of the GOW 3 models are exported as pskx, so I had initially assumed that if the output format was psk, then there was only one UV set.

Next I manually exported the mesh using the -pskx option, imported the file into max and exported it as FBX. When I imported the fbx into UDK the second UV set was visible.

A recent update to UE Viewer removed the requirement to export as pskx for multiple UVs so when I imported the psk into UDK, the second UV set was available, but the right arm looked the same. Importing the psk into max showed the same problem.

The second UV set includes tattoos on both of his arms, and the left arm is fine. Also, the mesh looks fine in UE Viewer, so I'm wondering if it's a combination of UV and LOD.  As I can import the model directly into UDK, I don't think it's an FBX issue. That said, I don't get this problem on any of the other, single UV, models that I've tried (not that I've tried that many).

This is a link to the package, if it helps:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/cahnd5nq4yqyjo6/MPCH_CCarmineMP_SF.xxx

Any idea what the problem could be?

Umodel does not export normals (there is no place for them in psk format). You should perform automatic smoothing in Max. Never seen problems with importing psk into UnrealEd - are you using psk or fbx format? (fbx has some problems with normals)
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 08:14 »

I can try to merge vertices with the same normal, this could partially help. But if UDK is not calculating normals correctly it would make the same artifacts on texture seams. So I think you should try to smooth these polygons in Max (I don't know how) and import into UDK using FBX format. Sorry for this, I'm not using Max and UDK by myself.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 12:30 »

I've made vertex sharing (Max's term "welding"?) for psk export. There should not be any changes for Max, but probably you could correctly import that psk into the UDK.
Please try it.
Dijon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 02:24 »

Gildor, you are the man! It works beautifully. Thank you.

Carmine's arm with vertex sharing

I've made vertex sharing (Max's term "welding"?) for psk export. There should not be any changes for Max, but probably you could correctly import that psk into the UDK.
Please try it.
cr4zyw3ld3r

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 02:26 »

Gildor thank you for this UPDATE!!!
Dijon is this possible in the GoW editor? I know Gildor has mentioned that only the UDk supports multiple UV sets but is there a workaround maybe?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 03:14 by cr4zyw3ld3r » Logged
Dijon

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 02:15 »

I haven't tried it in the GoW editor, so I'm not sure.

Gildor thank you for this UPDATE!!!
Dijon is this possible in the GoW editor? I knwo Gildor has mentioned that only the UDk supports multiple UV sets but is there a workaround maybe?
cr4zyw3ld3r

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2012, 01:36 »

do you mind helping me set up the materials in max?   I could not get that tatoo to work form the get go, and I lack the materials editing expertise to edit it properly Sad
Dijon

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2012, 22:40 »

I'm not a Max user at all. We have a copy at the university that I go to, but I only use it to import pskx files and re-export them as either fbx or psk. The image with the tattoo is from UDK. Sorry, that's not much help.

do you mind helping me set up the materials in max?   I could not get that tatoo to work form the get go, and I lack the materials editing expertise to edit it properly Sad
cr4zyw3ld3r

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2012, 09:15 »

ah so the udk has no issues improting with that second uv channel?  I will try and see if extracting the model from the udk would work then Huh?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 03:12 by cr4zyw3ld3r » Logged
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2012, 09:20 »

Unreal engine 3 SkeletalMesh has obtained up to 4 UV channels in 2010. Only one UV channel were available before that.
cr4zyw3ld3r

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2012, 03:16 »

what I was trying to say was if it was maybe possible to modify the original texture in udk to include the tatoos so that they can exported to the Unreal 3 engine used in Gears, maybe it might be easier to just photoshop it  Sad
Dijon

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2012, 16:22 »

That may be easier said than done. That said, people "reskin" models all the time for video games, so it's not impossible.  This link:

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90208

shows Carmine, with the comment, "His body required a 2nd uv set since the upper body and arms are mirrored on the main mesh. Allowed for much higher resolution for the sayings and tattoos!"

My image (above) is with the second UV, but it's still not perfect (I'm getting darkness on other parts of his mesh). I guess what I'm trying to say is that, if you have knowledge of Photoshop, it may be your best bet.

-D

what I was trying to say was if it was maybe possible to modify the original texture in udk to include the tatoos so that they can exported to the Unreal 3 engine used in Gears, maybe it might be easier to just photoshop it  Sad
Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: