Gildor's Forums

Author Topic: Getting Errors  (Read 29962 times)
grained

View Profile
Re: Getting Errors
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2008, 13:18 »

This site have no information about Unreal's skeletal meshes.

No, you should ask him!  Grin
grained

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2008, 21:23 »

For Deus Ex you will find a tool to convert .3d to Deus Ex Format  here.
There is the Sourcecode included so it shouldn't be a big problem to reverse and adapt it.  Grin
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2008, 23:27 »

This tool converts Epic's intermediate format .3d to DeusEx's intermediate format. This format is like .psk for skeletal meshes - it have nothing common with layout of mesh data, when it is placed into Unreal package file.

Why do you want DeusEx mesh support?
I am not aimed to support as much unreal-based games as possible. There are two goals of my tool:
1) research: understand unreal skeletal mesh and animation format, splinter cell animation compression etc
2) extract data from games, which have lots of community-made models (UT99, UT2003/2004); there is no more unreal-based games with custom models Sad
I am slightly interested in Rune models (they looks very cool), but it may be hard to integrate this format support into UT2 skeletal mesh loader. It was very hard to integrate UT1 skeletal mesh - different class inheritance, different layout ...
Of course, there is a reason to complete vertex mesh support by implementing mesh export - but there is no wide supported format for this. I know md2/md3 only. I am not sure, that modeling tools can adequately read this obsolete format.
grained

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2008, 01:10 »

The Reason is just to have a Tool which is complete. The Tools are always in one direction. 3ds -> Unreal, .3d -> Deus Ex... but not vice versa. If this would be possible and easy to handle the communitys from different games could participate from each other. That's the only reason.

The idea is only to bring something into a game but not getting it out and convert it to another game format.  Shocked

OK, my intention is not the same like yours, but I hope you see the need in some things.
Your first point is to understand. The second would help the community's to have a tool that they are able to exchange things from each other.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2008, 14:10 »

I was found public sources of DeusEx and Rune. After 2-3 hours of work DeusEx support has been added to umodel Wink
VertexMesh export is not yet implemented.
grained

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2008, 23:38 »

Woohoo, that sounds great. Could you please send me the description of the Files from DeusEx and Rune!?
I would like to make a converter... or if you like you could do it  Wink Cheesy Grin

Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2008, 11:54 »

Here you can find DeusEx SDK (self-extracting archive)
  http://www.fileshack.com/file.x/357/Deus+Ex+SDK+v1.112f
Inside it you can find file DxHeaders.zip; check UnMesh.h inside it. There only difference to UT mesh is FMeshVert structure: it uses 16-bit vector components instead of 10-bit.

Here is a Rune public source. Their skeletal mesh described in file UnSkel.h. It is completely different to mesh used in Unreal engine.
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/rune/download_6109224.html

I would like to make a converter... or if you like you could do it
What kind of converter do you want?
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2008, 13:50 »

One question.
Is there any tool, which can edit vertex meshes? It seems all tools I know (including 3DSMax, Maya, Blender, MilkShape) have no ability to create vertex animations, they have skeletal animation support only. MD3 importers does exists, but without animation support (model is imported as static mesh). Please correct me, if I mistaken.
Without vertex mesh support in editing tools I see no reason to implement exporter for this mesh format.
grained

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2008, 14:10 »

As I said before to have the possibility to exchange from each game.

Convert DeusEx Mesh to Unreal Mesh (_a.3d and _d.3d) and vice versa.
Convert Rune Mesh to Unreal Mesh and vice versa.

I think you are right that the Tools have no ability to create vertex animations. There is also no tool that could take a _a.3d and d.3d file and flip it back to a .3ds file with all it's animations in it.
There are tools which could get the vertex meshes out for example UTPT. So if you implement this function it is only to complete your tool.

But what is still missing is the converter possibility. I think from that many people would benefit.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2008, 14:24 »

There is no way to convert .3d to unreal mesh - because mesh should be imported into unreal package using UnrealEd or unreal script.
There is no requirement to convert PKS to "Unreal Mesh" - UnrealEd will do this.
Rune mesh will be saved into PSK/PSA format (if I will do this...)

OK. About VertexMesh. Which format should I export - .MD3 or .3D ? (I prefer md3, because it is prevailing)
grained

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2008, 15:31 »

There is no way to convert .3d to unreal mesh

The 3d File from DeusEx is different then the 3d File from Unreal. If you import it you will get errors and a crazy mesh. Am I missing something?
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2008, 15:40 »

Do you need importing of .3d model from Unreal to DeusEx ? Huh?
grained

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2008, 17:51 »

That's possible but the other way!!! DeusEx to Unreal  Grin Cheesy
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2008, 18:07 »

Does UT Package Tool saves .3d mesh in incorrect format?
Possibly, it will save mesh with truncating half of vector data, because DeusEx uses more bits for vector components - in this case importing will be ok, but mesh will be strange ... looks like box with garbage Smiley But in this case there should be no errors/crashes when importing .3d file (visual error only)
When umodel loading DeusEx mesh, it rescales it to fit 10-bit coordinates.
grained

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2008, 18:46 »

I don't know, but when I import it to Unreal the mesh is messed up. No errors on import but visual crap.
Jump to: