Gildor's Forums

Author Topic: Getting Errors  (Read 29962 times)
grained

View Profile
Getting Errors
« on: September 12, 2008, 05:14 »

I try to export some models with the animations but I always get errors.
unsupported type VertMesh
It is a .u file for Unreal Tournament (UT99)

I like your Tool very much. It is great and it would be cool if there were a export button in the viewer to export the Model, Graphic and so on. Maybe thats possible in future versions.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
Re: Getting Errors
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 13:21 »

Thank you.

Yes, VertexMesh is not fully supported now - I was initially created this tool for skeletal meshes only. Vertex meshes can be viewed, but cannot be exported.
I can write export to MD3 format (this is a most popular format for animated vertex meshes, and it is simple to implement), if this is really needed. There are also exists plugins for 3dmax/Maya for importing/exporting md3 files.
grained

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 15:37 »

If there would be any possibility to get the VertexMesh out it would be great. If there is only a way to do this to export it into another format. The Problem is I need the animation in 3dsmax.

I thought about a way to get the animation from the 3DS file. I think there is a way to do it with maxscript.
But I am not really familiar with that.

So in my opinion it is really needed because there is nothing out there to get this out of a package.
Thanx for your effort in doing this.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 16:02 »

I was planned exporting of VertexMesh, but currently I'm too busy at my work - I cannot promise you concrete date Sad
Probably, this will be a next thing I will implement here.
Stay turned. Now you can find plugin for 3dsmax, which can load md3 file (this plugin is really exists, but I can not remember URL) - to immediately use funcitonality, when I will implement it Smiley
grained

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 16:30 »

Thx, that would be great. I already searched for the plugin but I can't find a version for 3ds max 2009.
Maybe I can give you a hand with your work.
grained

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 14:05 »

Do you think it is possible to export the Data into different formats?

I ran into strange problems and I need to find a solution for it in the near future!
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 12:17 »

Please tell me more. What's the problem?
grained

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2008, 03:36 »

I exported a mesh and the animation and I tried to use that. The import fails because the mesh is not in the right format.  Huh? I can't import it.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2008, 11:55 »

Where are you trying to import mesh and animations? UnrealEd, 3dsmax, Maya, Milkshape, other tool? Which import plugins do you use?
---
I've downloaded Milkshape3D (http://chumbalum.swissquake.ch/) and tested exported meshes/animaitons. All works correct. Here is screenshots.

[вложение удалено Администратором]
grained

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2008, 13:14 »

If I import it to Milkshape its ok, no problem with that. If I try to import over script into the UT Engine the compiler won't compile it because in the log file there are always errors about the format.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2008, 13:27 »

UnrealEngine2-based games uses UnrealEd GUI to import meshes/animations. As I understand, you are importing mesh into UnrealEngine1-based game (UT99, Unreal 1 ...). PSK/PSA was slightly changed from Unreal1 to Unreal2 (not significantly, there is no new features added) - possibly, engine rejects new file format ...
Please provide detailed information:
- game name
- part of .uc file, which imports mesh
- exact error message (I will quickly check Unreal binaries to find this error message and I will try to understand, what is confused engine)
grained

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2008, 01:36 »

I have to apologize. After checking everything twice I found out why I got errors. The fault was on my side. Everthing is ok with the format. Animation and Model are working after importing it.

It would be great if your Tool would be compatible with Undying, DeusX, Rune and other UT Engine Games.
I think for this only some small changes are necessary.

As I said before the greatest feature would be a working VertexMesh Export.

Do you want to expand your Programm with a GUI for better usabillity?

Thx, again for your help and keep up the good work. If you need help to get things going maybe I could provide some programming help or something usefull.

Cheers!
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2008, 12:21 »

The fault was on my side
Good news. My code is still looks bug-free Wink

It would be great if your Tool would be compatible with Undying, DeusX, Rune and other UT Engine Games. I think for this only some small changes are necessary.
I was quickly checked Rune code - their SkeletalMesh have nothing common with Unreal's SkeletalMesh Sad
Possibly, amount of required changes to support all those games really will be small, but support for any game will require 1-2 days of full-time work for reverse engineering, coding (smallest part) and testing. I have plans to explore Lineage2 mesh format - but still have no time for this.

Do you want to expand your Programm with a GUI for better usabillity?
Currently, my program may work on both Windows and Linux operating systems in binary form. Supporting GUI will require either implementation of own GUI ontop of SDL or OpenGL library, or using one of cross-platform GUI libraries (I have experience with wxWidgets). But this will break binary compatibility between different Linux systems - their standardization of C++ binary interfaces (ABI + library names) is not so good. Anyway, I have plans to release source code - any Linux user can download source and recompile program for his system.
Historically, this program was started as test platform for my own skeletal animation system, and initially a was supported UT2 skeletal mesh viewing only, with no plans for complex UI Smiley

If you need help to get things going maybe I could provide some programming help or something usefull.
This may be possible only after source code release. Possibly, it would be better to create separate program with GUI, which can use my library to read Unreal packages and read/visualise meshes. I don't know ... Anyway, thanks Smiley
grained

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2008, 22:02 »

I was quickly checked Rune code - their SkeletalMesh have nothing common with Unreal's SkeletalMesh
Possibly, amount of required changes to support all those games really will be small, but support for any game will require 1-2 days of full-time work for reverse engineering, coding (smallest part) and testing.

Maybe you could ask Antonio Codero for the File Formats. He supports them in his Tool UTPT.
http://www.acordero.org/prog_proj_UTPT.html Website
http://acordero.yuku.com/directory Forum

This may be possible only after source code release

I think it would be great if the Source Code is available to everyone, but I don't think there are people who would take the time to build a really nice Tool with it. So take your time and try to improve your Tool with features when ever you can.

With your Tool you fill the gap of being able to export Skeletal Meshes out of packages. Really nice, hopefully it supports more Games in the future...?!

Thx for time... and keep up the good work!!

Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2008, 11:29 »

Maybe you could ask Antonio Codero for the File Formats. He supports them in his Tool UTPT.
Yes, I know his tool and package reading library for Delphi. I have this site in my links page. This site have no information about Unreal's skeletal meshes. Disassembly work is required.
Jump to: