March 28, 2024, 13:01
bigger smaller reset     1020px Wide width Full width Reset   * *

Gildor's Forums

Homepage Facebook Read news on Twitter Youtube channel Github page
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

« previous next »
Print
Author Topic: Quake 2  (Read 58567 times)
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« on: September 13, 2012, 09:59 »

I've added some information about my older project - Quake 2. Unfortunately it's almost frozen due to my work on umodel. There is no downloads yet, but I'll definitely add files if there will be any interest to this project.

http://www.gildor.org/en/projects/quake2

Showster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 05:11 »

Looks awesome Smiley

Don't suppose you know much about 3DS Max plugins? I've been meaning to get back into Quake development but the .md3 exporter for 3DS Max is ancient and isn't supported by the newer versions.

Anyhow I have the plugin source

http://www.doom3world.org/phpbb2/download/file.php?id=470&sid=134e1354265fb2fcd37b2910002a80ab

and if anyone knows anything about compiling 3D Max plugins then potentially they can export Character meshes with the above source.

All the best

Greg
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 09:21 »

Looks awesome Smiley
Thanks Smiley
Don't suppose you know much about 3DS Max plugins? I've been meaning to get back into Quake development but the .md3 exporter for 3DS Max is ancient and isn't supported by the newer versions.
I'm not familiar with Max programming interfaces, and especially with vertex animations. By the way I've ported Epic's ActorX plugin to the newer Max (2013) ...
Mirrodin

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 08:12 »

I've added some information about my older project - Quake 2. Unfortunately it's almost frozen due to my work on umodel. There is no downloads yet, but I'll definitely add files if there will be any interest to this project.

http://www.gildor.org/en/projects/quake2

I am definitely interested in adding the files you have already have for this for download. I would love the customization and backwards map compatibility your project has to offer.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 11:07 »

Okay, I put Quake 2 binaries to mod's page. Just extract .zip to Quake 2 game directory and launch quake2.exe.

There's a bit outdated 4.XX_Changes.txt file in archive, it contains descriptions of some console commands and variables, and a bit more ...

Things you may do:
  • recompress all .pak files to .zip (with .pak extension)
  • put Quake 1 maps (.bsp) to baseq2/maps
  • put map screenshots to baseq2/levelshots directory (I've put some to map_extras.pak); you can make new screenshot with screenshot console command - just type "screenshot -levelshot" command from game console and screenshot in special format will be placed as required
  • copy player models from Quake 3 to baseq2 directory (you may copy .pk3 files there and rename them to .pak)
  • there are a lot of debug features available in singleplayer or in multiplayer with console variable "cheats" set to 1 ...
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 11:09 by Gildor » Logged
Mirrodin

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 00:52 »

Okay, I put Quake 2 binaries to mod's page. Just extract .zip to Quake 2 game directory and launch quake2.exe.

There's a bit outdated 4.XX_Changes.txt file in archive, it contains descriptions of some console commands and variables, and a bit more ...

Things you may do:
  • recompress all .pak files to .zip (with .pak extension)
  • put Quake 1 maps (.bsp) to baseq2/maps
  • put map screenshots to baseq2/levelshots directory (I've put some to map_extras.pak); you can make new screenshot with screenshot console command - just type "screenshot -levelshot" command from game console and screenshot in special format will be placed as required
  • copy player models from Quake 3 to baseq2 directory (you may copy .pk3 files there and rename them to .pak)
  • there are a lot of debug features available in singleplayer or in multiplayer with console variable "cheats" set to 1 ...
The game's internal font is messed up in this source port. Do you still have the source code to the program so I can attempt to fix it?
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 09:23 »

What's wrong with font? Any screenshot?
Mirrodin

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 01:11 »

What's wrong with font? Any screenshot?
Posted some screenshots and error reports at http://www.mediafire.com/download/nov7488e66g6yr6/CleanCodeQuake2Errors.zip
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2013, 09:28 »

I see to much crashes in crash.log, even in gamex86.dll. That's very strange. What system do you have? What mod are you running?
About game font - it looks like you have damaged or missing pics/conchars.pcx file, check console log for information.
Mirrodin

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 04:47 »

I'm running your Quake 2 port under Wine on an iMac, and I have a bunch of Quake 2 mods in the baseq2 folder.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 09:08 »

Ok, but what about
About game font - it looks like you have damaged or missing pics/conchars.pcx file, check console log for information.
Did you look at console? Could you perform "condump" command and send me a log?
Mirrodin

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2013, 07:35 »

I fixed the font problem. I just had to export the original conchars.pcx from pak0.pak, convert it to tga, and save it to baseq2/pics/conchars.tga . Your Quake 2 port doesn't use a scaler for conchars, it just uses the first 128x128 pixels as the font. I was probably using an upscaled conchars file before, so your port couldn't read it right.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2013, 09:34 »

My Quake2 uses own font system, and conchars.pcx has hardcoded character size 8x8 texels. Regarding tga - I think it should work, please check log for warning (yellow) messages.
JD2

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2013, 07:21 »

Where is the source code and GPL license text for your Quake 2 port?  It is not included in http://www.gildor.org/down.php?file=36/quake2/quake2.zip , and it needs to be for legal reasons.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2014, 16:05 »

The source code of this project is now available on GitHub
https://github.com/gildor2/Quake2
Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: