March 28, 2024, 20:20
bigger smaller reset     1020px Wide width Full width Reset   * *

Gildor's Forums

Homepage Facebook Read news on Twitter Youtube channel Github page
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

« previous next »
Print
Author Topic: Has anyone else had this issue?  (Read 11057 times)
toonhound

View Profile
« on: October 04, 2009, 23:28 »

This might be totally obvious, but my 3ds max skills are not very advanced as of yet.

The issue I'm having is that, when I load up all the separate character mesh pieces that make up the player model (in this case I'm using FDarkElf_m000) the hair and face meshes do not appear to animate correctly with the body. (see attachments).

what I know already is that:
#1 This does the same thing in 3dsmax7 and 3dsmax 9.
#2 This does the same thing whether I'm importing .psk/.psa or .md5mesh/.md5anim.
#3 This issue is only with the player model characters and not NPCs or Monsters.

I have spent nearly 6 hours trying to figure this out and frankly I'm wearing down.

Anybody have any ideas?

p.s. Thank You Gildor for your amazing work and utilities.
also would love to be able to load this stuff up in blender someday.

[вложение удалено Администратором]
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 00:03 »

I have noteced such umodel bug with Lineage player models a long time ago. That is: some face meshes (may be other too) has wrong bone links. Mesh looks correct in bindpose, but wrong when animated. You should manually reassing bones in 3ds Max etc. No idea how to fix that - I've verified all data and not found where Lineage stored correct bone for mesh.
toonhound

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 00:21 »

Thank You Gildor for such a timely response!

At least now I know it's not just me and I can focus on this is issue in a different manner.

When and if I find a solution to this I'll post promptly.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 00:24 by toonhound » Logged
urPackage
Sponsor

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 04:07 »

Yeah I can confirm the weighting is wrong when you import them.

Just weight the vertices to the correct bone...for some reason the face is weighted to the BIP01 bone, just weight it to the head bone and it should be good.

Do that with the hair pieces as well.

toonhound

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 07:44 »

Thanks urPackage!

I transferred the weights for the face from Bip01 to Bip01head and now the face follows along correctly with rest of the body.

However, my method of accomplishing this transfer is probably the longest route one can possibly take (lack of experience), and will not allow me to do this with the
separate hair mesh FDarkElf_m000_m00_bh.psk which has bones apart from the rest of the body altogether.

would you be so kind as to describe the method you use to copy the weights over.

urPackage
Sponsor

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 17:22 »

Sure np glad to help, just add the required bones to the skin modifier on that mesh.

There are a couple way to do this but i prefer to manually paint the weighting by vertex which you can do by using the weight tool in the skin modifier.

As you can see there is only hair bones in it now but if you add the head bone or any others you can transfer weights over to it.

One problem you may run into is that if you weight all the hair vertices to the head bone..when the character turns their head the hair will run into the mesh and cut through it.

This can be avoided by balancing the weight between the nearest bones such as the neck, spine,clav etc or making sure your animation includes the hair bones.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 17:27 by urPackage » Logged
toonhound

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 23:07 »

I appreciate ur patience,

I'll have to familiarize myself with the weight tool, but I do see how to add the hair bones now.

I guess there is gonna be some work involved here to get everything perfect, but I'm learning nevertheless.
Teoma

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 23:12 »

In Perspectives you want to animate  Grin ??
toonhound

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2009, 00:38 »

Teoma, I'm really using these models as a tool to learn with (rigging, animation, model topology, etc.).

I think I have a pretty good fix on the issue I'm having at hand now!

First off, I open a new schematic diagram and link the Hair01 bone to Bip01_head.
Second, Using the advice from urPackage I transferred all the weights from the face mesh to Bip01_head bone.
I didn't actually paint the weights rather I used the weight table to make the transfer (this seems to be a quick way to make large changes at once).

Not sure if this a 100% correct but, it seems to work a lot better now.

One Thing I have noticed is although the hair remains connected properly throughout the animations, it does not seem to animate on it's own.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 01:06 by toonhound » Logged
Malkor
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2010, 12:20 »

Hello, guys! I hate to bump this relatively old topic but I have run into this problem and read through this thread about a dozen times. Each time I have become exponentially more confused as this is totally uncharted territory for me. Having a look in the schematic view tells me nothing of value or anything that even makes any sense; I can't even see where the face is referring to the wrong bone. I'm looking at urPackage's screenshot and asking myself "Okay, I have this thing red, now what do I do? I don't see a button to switch this to that. aaaaa halp"

I sincerely hope you guys are still lurking here and can explain the process of fixing this within a reasonable timespan. I am completely hopeless.
Teoma

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2010, 19:11 »

Hello, guys! I hate to bump this relatively old topic but I have run into this problem and read through this thread about a dozen times. Each time I have become exponentially more confused as this is totally uncharted territory for me. Having a look in the schematic view tells me nothing of value or anything that even makes any sense; I can't even see where the face is referring to the wrong bone. I'm looking at urPackage's screenshot and asking myself "Okay, I have this thing red, now what do I do? I don't see a button to switch this to that. aaaaa halp"

I sincerely hope you guys are still lurking here and can explain the process of fixing this within a reasonable timespan. I am completely hopeless.
Hi, I don't get what problem you are having ? Can you give me an Image ?
Malkor
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2010, 22:03 »

The head and hair are dislocated from the body when you load an animation. Here's an image;

Teoma

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2010, 00:53 »

You simply need to skin Head Mesh to Head Bone, Use this tutorial http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3-rDcK2H_w
Start to look from 3:23, you simply need to select Bip01_Head(bone) and Follow the tutorial part.
Malkor
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2010, 01:26 »

Aha! Thank you very much! I was pretty worried this would get really complicated. Now I can continue work! Cheesy
Teoma

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2010, 05:15 »

I'm glad I could help  Smiley.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 05:16 by Teoma » Logged
Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: