March 28, 2024, 23:09
bigger smaller reset     1020px Wide width Full width Reset   * *

Gildor's Forums

Homepage Facebook Read news on Twitter Youtube channel Github page
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

« previous next »
Print
Author Topic: Outlast 2  (Read 4815 times)
Purrspctiv

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2019, 00:11 »

I'm rarely doing special support for horror games. And rarely working on non-UE4 games over last years. So, here's "Rarely ^ 2".

Well, even still, "rarely" (even to the second power) can have exceptions, and if there would be any exception to that, it would be this. Like I said, you have already figured out how the OL2 upk files work, so you can easily do it again! Like you said before... "Why not?"

If one of the reasons that you gave up on this game was the textures not working, then I think I found the problem: this game uses BC7 texture compression for a ton of its textures (and BC6H for lightmaps). The texture compression converting would probably not be easy to implement (I'm not a programmer), but if you implement Outlast 2 UPK file support (which, again, you've already done in the past!) then someone else could add support for those compression types to the source code, which you could then merge in with minimal effort.

If you do indeed take a couple hours out of your schedule to do this, I would not only be eternally grateful but I'll make it worth your time by donating. I know that "rarely^2" is practically just saying no, but if there is ANY possible chance that you could do this, then that would be simply incredible.

I might sound like I'm begging here, but this really is just a relatively simple feature (I hope I'm not trivializing this) that could open up thousands of doors to fascinating (and even helpful for my field, with the materials. Outlast 1 basically redefined my workflow) content in an instant.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 00:15 by Purrspctiv » Logged
spiritovod
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2022, 23:15 »

Use specific build from this topic for the game, you need to use game specific override. Most assets should be supported with updated build, please read note below for more info.

Thanks to Gildor for the initial research, he actually did almost all work required for proper support. The problem lies in texture caches (tfc files) - the game is using them in chunked way, for example Textures-SM4/SM5.tfc are addressed as single Textures in assets, or CharTextures-SM4/SM5.tfc are addressed as CharTextures. You can see it in umodel logs while trying to load textures as-is. It can be partially solved by renaming biggest corresponding files (like CharTextures-SM5.tfc -> CharTextures.tfc), but umodel will obviously crash trying to load bulk parts of some textures from incorrect cache. I don't know if and how it can be fixed in the umodel or outside it.  
I can only guess at the moment, but probably SM4 is cache with low-res textures and SM5 is cache with hi-res textures. So umodel will crash only in case if any partucular texture doesn't have hi-res version (if workaround with renaming is used).

Update: Specific build is updated, it should support most assets if required conditions are met.

* Clipboard03.jpg (96.48 KB, 2540x1234 - viewed 524 times.)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2023, 22:58 by spiritovod » Logged
heart777

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2022, 04:39 »

Here is specific build for the game (link), no special override is required. Meshes and animations are supported, but textures and materials are not yet, so don't forget to disable them or umodel will crash. Thanks to Gildor for the initial research.
Thank you spiritovod. I've hoped someone would add support this game for ages now. Are there alternative ways to get the textures as of now?
spiritovod
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2022, 19:52 »

@heart777: I've updated specific build with support for textures as well, but it has certain limitations at the moment, explained in the same post. I remember there was a tool somewhere that allowed to convert Outlast 2 packages with 64-bit offsets/sizes into normal one with 32-bit fields, supported by general UE3 tools (including those for extracting raw textures data from tfc caches). I suppose it's the only way now to work with all textures properly without limitations.

64-bit fields are now justified, since current game version has tfc file over 4GB and previously it had separate tfc files smaller than 4GB, but addressed as single one, which would require addressing of 64-bit offsets as well.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2022, 19:58 by spiritovod » Logged
heart777

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2022, 21:53 »

@heart777: I've updated specific build with support for textures as well, but it has certain limitations at the moment, explained in the same post. I remember there was a tool somewhere that allowed to convert Outlast 2 packages with 64-bit offsets/sizes into normal one with 32-bit fields, supported by general UE3 tools (including those for extracting raw textures data from tfc caches). I suppose it's the only way now to work with all textures properly without limitations.

64-bit fields are now justified, since current game version has tfc file over 4GB and previously it had separate tfc files smaller than 4GB, but addressed as single one, which would require addressing of 64-bit offsets as well.
Thank you spiritovod and gildor! Limitations are fine for now i think, i'll just try to work with what you've provided so far. And that's interesting...if there are certain character textures I cannot rip, I'll search for this outlast 2 tool you're talking about. And if i cant find it, then I'll just wait on the finished version your outlast 2 umodel version. If you feel like finishing it of course. I am grateful. Thank you both
vergil3322

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2022, 19:42 »

Thank you spiritovod and gildor! Limitations are fine for now i think, i'll just try to work with what you've provided so far. And that's interesting...if there are certain character textures I cannot rip, I'll search for this outlast 2 tool you're talking about. And if i cant find it, then I'll just wait on the finished version your outlast 2 umodel version. If you feel like finishing it of course. I am grateful. Thank you both

any luck finding a way to extract htextures?
spiritovod
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2022, 22:04 »

@vergil3322: Consider reading my base post above - with current version of specific build it's possible to export hi-res textures as well, if you'll rename corresponding texture cache files. Existing limitation only prevents you from exporting everything at once and probably export of some particular textures may fail, but most things should work.
vergil3322

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2022, 22:55 »

@vergil3322: Consider reading my base post above - with current version of specific build it's possible to export hi-res textures as well, if you'll rename corresponding texture cache files. Existing limitation only prevents you from exporting everything at once and probably export of some particular textures may fail, but most things should work.

oh thanks now i understand what it was to rename. everything worked fine with the files. Wink just some files get low-res

textures of some characters are they on: Textures-SM4 & SM5 too.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2022, 00:51 by vergil3322 » Logged
spiritovod
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2023, 18:26 »

Specific build mentioned above is updated to support old demo version of the game as well.
Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: