March 29, 2024, 11:17
bigger smaller reset     1020px Wide width Full width Reset   * *

Gildor's Forums

Homepage Facebook Read news on Twitter Youtube channel Github page
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

« previous next »
Print
Author Topic: Gears 5  (Read 12757 times)
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« on: September 07, 2019, 00:05 »

The game is available for those who purchased "Ultimate" edition. I have a Steam version of the game. Of course, it doesn't work in UE Viewer. There are some observations.

- The executable file is protected with Epic's Easy Anti Cheat (EAC) - the same system was used for Fortnite. I have no idea if it would be in any way, I need a "clean" exe file for research.
- There's no pak files, but lots of .b2container files which are seems a kind of alternative to pak files.
- b2container files are not encrypted, but seems compressed with some simple algorithm, probably with lz4.

Most likely "Windows Store" version of the game will have the same set of troubles like Gears of War 4 had, i.e. file protection (impossibility to access files), heavy encryption etc.

Update October 2021
Special build (WIP) by spiritovod with support for this game.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 10:13 by Gildor » Logged
Juso3D

Welcome to Gildor Forums

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2019, 07:25 »

Most likely "Windows Store" version of the game will have the same set of troubles like Gears of War 4 had, i.e. file protection (impossibility to access files), heavy encryption etc.

Trying to do the Windows Store version, but the UWP dumper fails.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 08:27 by Blenux » Logged

Blender + Linux User Here.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2019, 11:20 »

An interesting thing. The game works with Windows 10 and Windows 7. But NOT with Windows 8.1 which I have! Just wasted money (not so much, it's $20 for Russian Steam), disk space and my time - I've even upgraded Nvidia drivers trying to solve it (I used 3 years old driver for my GTX760M, the only version which worked stable with UE Viewer, UE4 Editor, with everything).

Some related discussion is here:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/1097840/discussions/0/1636418037464287077/
(however it's just states the thing: Windows 8 doesn't have DX12, so the game will not work - everything else like "upgrade to Win10" etc is just useless stuff)

I saw Windows 7 and Windows 10 in requirements, but who could suppose that it Windows 7 works - Windows 8 will not work?
Juso3D

Welcome to Gildor Forums

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2019, 11:52 »

Yeah I think Microsoft wants to 'forget' 8.1 happened lol, pretty silly though, if Windows 7 is supported 8.1 should be also.

I got with the Game Pass Ultimate, though I can never finish them, not even half way through GOW4

Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2019, 21:21 »

I was able to dump protected game executable. The instructions are below, they're mostly for myself (to not forget things if I'll need it again), or may it will be useful for anybody else.

Launch the game executable. It will say some kind of error in a message bix: either "no steam running" (as you're starting it outside of the steam) or "no videocard detected" (my case). Open Process Explorer, find the executable. ProcExp will not be able to access anything inside the process because it will be protected with EAC drivers. Well, run it again. Before EAC started, find the process in ProcExp and suspend it. If you'll be fast enough (I was able to do that from 10+ try), ProcExp will suspend the process - otherwise it will tell "can't suspend it".

Ok, now use Process Dump to dump the exe file with supplying a PID (Process ID) to it. Done. The dumped executable will not work, IDA will say a number of errors when opening it, but - the code will be ready for disassembler work.
jakmrk88

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2019, 01:58 »

Is there any way to extract B2Container files with localization to translate them into another language
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2019, 09:45 »

I didn't complete any research yet. Spend 2 full days on it, but with no luck. Delayed the work until better times.
jakmrk88

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2019, 16:58 »

I wish you good luck. I hope someone can do it. Localization is not in Czech, so I would like to look at it.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2019, 20:55 »

Regarding the game ... I've made a dump of game's executable some time ago (see the first post). Original exe if protected with EAC. However there are things inside which are messed up, i.e. my dump is not good. If someone has a better one, I'd be very appreciated.
Juso3D

Welcome to Gildor Forums

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2019, 07:57 »

I would like to help but I have no idea what I'm doing  Sad

Click Me for Larger Pic

Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2019, 09:11 »

Smiley
jakmrk88

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2019, 17:27 »

I found this information: Gears 5 uses oodle compression for b2container.
The GearGame.b2index file contains information about B2 container names, file names, and their location and size in b2containers.
There should be localization texts in Launch.b2container.
Could someone create a bms script to unpack the files?
mark2580

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2019, 17:32 »

Could someone create a bms script to unpack the files?
I think with such a question, you should turn to the Xentax forum or the forum of the creator of QuckBMS itself.  grin

MARK2580
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2019, 19:18 »

I found this information: Gears 5 uses oodle compression for b2container.
oodle is not supported by umodel ... this could be a problem
The GearGame.b2index file contains information about B2 container names, file names, and their location and size in b2containers.
Obvious things. I new that after 5 mins of looking at b2index file. The problem is to know data structures used there. Making assumptions is not good here because after the first game update b2index contents will be changed, and early assumptions may appear as absolutely incorrect.
jakmrk88

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2019, 20:03 »

Thank you for the information. I wrote on xentax too.
Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: