March 29, 2024, 00:58
bigger smaller reset     1020px Wide width Full width Reset   * *

Gildor's Forums

Homepage Facebook Read news on Twitter Youtube channel Github page
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

« previous next »
Print
Author Topic: converting models to hl2/hl  (Read 1765 times)
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2020, 10:42 »

if i use a software : like a model viewer that uses direct3d to render the model .. like your tool does..
then your tool is no longer able to show "meshes" of packages : it shows only textures...
as i have two or more vga cards .. i can have two or three models viewer at the same time..: one per display/cards
This is your Windows/Drivers problem.

i could try to create icons...or you can open a forum challenge ;']
I do not consider adding toolbar anymore. No time to waste.

Ultimate Unwrap3D Pro or Unfold3d_UVWizard ..
Unwrap has bugs with skeletal meshes. There were bugs when I tried it (15 year ago perhaps), and taking into account your notes - the bugs didn't disappear since that time.
grml4d

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2020, 15:02 »

drivers are quite recent..i ll try to make a video for youtube..
unwrap have bugs... but it offers a lot of functions...and toolbars with dozens of icons..
i am not sure if bugs are coming from format readers , it is hard to do a good job with formats that are not so much documented..
grml4d

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2020, 03:17 »

i used a lot of your tools..can you tell what is the difference between extract and decompress ? they are having the same light help,,[ with parameter /? ]

i have nearly the same question with skeletal ... that is even more killer than the viewer/extractor of models..
i mean this tool needs a setup...and is not capable of well rendering all extracted files..
that should come from my "setup" that is not well done .. but this tool could be made to read extracted files and folders from gammes : that should be the "common point" of them all ..

i saw that unreal object viewer extract all files and decompresses the models in the skeletal meshes folders.. but in the case of xcom bureau : there are also a lot of models "static meshes" having names like  pskx : they are copied like that without any decompression.. so being unreadable.. that could be cool if they were also decompressed
then with skeletal correctly "setup" with only the name of game folder extracted files path folder : that could be great to see it showing the models of the game as well as the animations .. and also it being capable of editing weapon models or heads or few bugs in texture names or positions
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2020, 09:36 »

i used a lot of your tools..can you tell what is the difference between extract and decompress ? they are having the same light help,,[ with parameter /? ]
https://www.gildor.org/projects/umodel/faq
What's the difference between "export", "save" and "extract" terms?

that should come from my "setup" that is not well done .. but this tool could be made to read extracted files and folders from gammes : that should be the "common point" of them all ..
May be one day. But actually this functionality isn't needed for Unreal engine VIEWER. Extraction is a secondary function, what makes "viewing extracted files" function as even lower order. If I have "take screenshot" function - do you expect that my tool will have image browser??
grml4d

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2020, 14:50 »

may be with short exemple of use that could help..me .. as long as it is clear for you and helps .. i think that is great..
you do not want to use the extracted files ..mostly because long ago some were doing it with their games files..but i think this time is over.. may be there are some technicals reasons

by the way : i think you should "rewrite your software" from zero..
with the use of "network drives in mind [ as an exemple..]
you could invent a "steam_appid/gameinfo file" that could be at the root of game with a "umodel.exe"
the file having the info about the game and its engine + the sna list of the files it has.. that would be a way to earn time and spare money..

if i search for pskx in my extracted folder : i have more than 35000 files.. and only less than 2800 psk files...

i think that if your tool extract all the compressed files and then read them from the hardrive : showing their anims one by one [ maybe with a number of loops.. ] at end it reads a new model : that could be be great and helpful .
by now with steams and key that turned very cheap games.. you ll have to be "showing" quickly [  i mean in jobs related to tv and top models..] it become the same with game.. there are to much "files to watch"
that could be great to display models and anims like windows shows files in a folder
grml4d

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2020, 09:24 »

so after checking a lot of folders...
there are a lot of files your tool should not copy.. or should also decompress or should "change formats"

i mean that all files that come with a pskx : are not needed : *.mat *.tga.....  until you do not convert the pskx into psk...

you have to extract all files and with the "gameinfo-list" new file ; you check if the file was not already extracted..
i think [ in this game but that should be the same with others ] they put all the files the map needs in the same archive .. that makes thing better for memory and does not use a lot of more disk space ..
and create files with textures dependencies..
the few readable files are looking very bad in all white...
have fun writing this new software Mr Gildor
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2020, 16:13 »

so after checking a lot of folders...
there are a lot of files your tool should not copy.. or should also decompress or should "change formats"
I need examples, e.g. screenshots of folders with duplicated information

i mean that all files that come with a pskx : are not needed : *.mat *.tga.....  until you do not convert the pskx into psk...
pskx and psk is the same format, you can't "convert" one to another. You may rename psk to pskx and it will work the same way.

... they put all the files the map needs in the same archive .. that makes thing better for memory and does not use a lot of more disk space ..
Good Morning! What did I say you before? Did you read FAQ? Did you ever try "uncook" which is a way to solve this??
grml4d

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2020, 09:56 »

this screencapture -of two displays- has all ...

i posted others pics that are "more easy" to see in real size and read them ;'] [ without zoom effects..]
https://postimg.cc/gallery/rx8YvZC

you can read at left zozo51 and zozo51_uncook .. these are the two folder where i extracted files of the bureau declassified..[ 250 Go each.. for less than 15 Go of compressed files ]
i show that the cooked folder is having folders that are the name of the archives of the game.. the "uncook" have folders i have no idea where they come from..
the alien_arch_cover : that uses more than 400 Mo : has tga or mat or txt or pskx files... : are no tools are able to read pskx files ..except yours but directly from the archive and not from extracted files...: the use of these 400 Mo is a waste...
i checked to read the pskx directly or to copy a file of the folder and rename it psk..
the software was able to read it... but it is not able to apply texture...  so renaming files plus searching the right textures....to have a "result" and without knowing in which archive is stored the original file ... [ that is not a cool job with a guaranteed cool result..  Shocked  Undecided ]

i mean that if i tried to search : i would first extract all [ without cook option ] so when i see models i can decide if i ll try to convert them or not.. [ that operation is not sure at 100% to give good results ]
if the folder seems to have good models : then i add one or two zero : at its name here that would be 00_alien_arch..
so at end i just have to watch in the first folders having 00   Cool

so the great things you have to do : is to reduce the size of extracted folders   with models that have textures or at least after few editions using your tools : will have textures weapons and heads plus anims : in one file "or so" .. if i can say so ;']
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2020, 10:51 »

Ah I see. When the same object exists in multiple upk files, when umodel attempts to save it, and file already exists - it adds a numeric suffix. I've added this behavior because of Gears of War: it has AnimSet's copied into map files, and stripped out some animation sequences from them - so AnimSet appears with different sequences in different maps. So, if you want to get ALL sequences, you'll probably need to load different psa files.

I thought about the problem more than a year ago, and suspended it in favor of UE4 development. Actually I already fixed the issue - for UE4
https://trello.com/c/sdZRAL34/189-export-duplicated-files

May be one day I'll fix it for "old games". But this is not a priority.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2020, 17:54 »

I've added recognition if identical exported files to UModel in build 1237. Please try it.
grml4d

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2020, 16:41 »

thank you..
grml4d

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2020, 22:01 »

i see not much difference....at my low level of user wanting to convert few models or monsters from unreal engine to source....
i ll try to make a map of changes.. like your "trello" that thing is nice for big programs with a lot of people working.. like a puzzle
your software is much having a lot of programs "to use as input" and output few files..

by the way : i work a lot on the half-life files and i clean the "navigators" [ firefox or chrome : are so easy opening and closing a lot of tabs that.. it can take long to "close the windows.." ]

but i feel i found things for you..
that is more than a month that i saw that "the famous black mesa team" is searching people to employ..
i was very surprised to see they ask for some unreal skills.. [ that you definitely have .. ]
https://www.crowbarcollective.com/jobs
may be you can "win" two or three of these jobs..

i also found an interesting plugging :

https://dev.wallworm.com/document/121/smd_vta_and_qc_importer.html
https://dev.wallworm.com/document/211/mdl_file_loader.html
https://wallworm.com/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=66
the plugging is free..

i hope it converts to hl mdl files.. or i think i ll need : https://steamcommunity.com/groups/CrowbarTool

i will ask this programmer if he can help me for the dlls..  .. source engine looks like dying .. everybody wants unreal.. [ even the so famous fans from black mesa ..]

may be this plugin can help you converting directly for pskx to mdl ..that could be great
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2020, 11:38 »

i see not much difference....
There will be NO difference if "uncook" is disabled. No difference if you'll export on top of already existing files (when you ALREADY exported with duplicates). No difference if you'll do the export by parts (export part, close umodel, run again, export another part). Lots of ways of seeing "no difference". You didn't provide any information for me. I've spent so much effort improving UE3 export, and there definitely SHOULD BE a difference.

that is more than a month that i saw that "the famous black mesa team" is searching people to employ..
Why do you think I'm looking for a job? Just tell me where did you see that, I'll remove the obsolete message.
mark2580

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2020, 14:10 »

God, decide from the beginning: you want to get models for the Gold Source or Source Engine. These are completely different engines and formats.

WallWorm piece ... what’s on ceremony here - a piece of shit !

To get models for the Source Engine you need to export the models in smd or dmx format, then have at least some game on the Source Engine, you can even free Source SDK Base 2013 for example (in the Steam tools section).

You need the Crowbar program (like the UI for studiomdl.exe) and the basic knowledge of writing a configuration file - QC, to compile models from smd / dmx to mdl for the game.

Below is a list of plugins for 3ds max.

SMD I/O plugins 2009-2012
SMD/DMX/VTA I/O plugins 2014-2020
VTF texture support plugin 2010-2016
VTF texture support plugin 2017-2020

Here is a list of necessary programs

Crowbar [Source Engine Modding Tool]
GCFScape
VTFEdit

If you still want to get models for Gold Source - give up any attempts, even the Source Engine is living out its last years, and Gold Source has been dead for more than 10 years. Nobody needs it and it’s banal even difficult to run on modern systems.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 14:14 by mark2580 » Logged

MARK2580
grml4d

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2020, 14:31 »

excuse "the truth" i am a "software"user : from the "gui" i see no differences..
you added changes that are hidden...for me..and you only say there is a change in handling this models.. i do mean your work is  "very cool" for the software and user.. [ they should also all give me thanks .. if you did a very cool thing ;'] ]
i was hoping more change at the gui level.. by now after two 250 Go extraction .. my hd is not full of data.. but not far...

i still learn what did the software when cooking this half [Terro or Terra ] To = 500 Go
i am not quick but like a spider.. i eat all i catch ;']

for the software and the black mesa job..   as you are making a 3dsmax plugin , and he is giving for free his plugin for 3ds mas..
i think you can ask him if he can give you his source code or if you can buy him a licence..to use it in your software .
my objectives is " to obtain a hl/hl2 models from the unreal game"
so i find it "logical" to try to obtain that : this way..  i  mean : making you having all elements to create a program that can do it...

then with such a plugin : i would extracts others models from unreal games .. "surely"

Mark seems to have a good knowledge about source models and conversion...

from what i "see" of the market.. i think that source is used a lot in those schools for learning 3ds or how to create games.. but "in the war" of engine : unreal is attracting more and more professionnals...  so there is a need for some convertors.. and jobs..
i wonder if you "followed" the famous black mesa story.. but it took the 15 years to copy the hl ...
few weeks after it is done and despite all the help they had from steam and valve.. they plan to change for unreal..

thank you Mark2580 [ i know well the utilities like gcfscape ] i am new to 3ds max.. i found an old 2015 that is not very easy to handle..
i dislike to see tons of icons even when no files is loaded.. i prefer to see them appearing when they can do things.. [ same with menus ..that are showing text.. ]

i like the hl goldsource engine ,, files are very easy to handle.. there are a lot of utilities.. some are using it very well
you should play echoes : https://www.moddb.com/mods/half-life-echoes/downloads/half-life-echoes-v14

i already made two mods : opposing life2life and assault-strike.. [ one is using opposing force dlls and the second : svencoop 4.7 ..]  by now i am making a giant mod that has around 200-300 maps or may be a little more..
i use a lot of maps made by others to create it.. it is showing half-life from different angles at the same times..
as an example , that i "used" in assault strike ; after few maps when gordon is still wearing clothes.. you play the decay maps of the accident..right before gordon push the sample..

that game/mod is a tribute to half-life : i hope to earn money and pay the port to latest engine or use it to make a movie...
if you know someone able to makes the dlls [ looking like those from opposing force/svencoop.. ] that would be great ..

edit : sometimes i have to remove some "not" included by google "correctors" : i wonder if that shit corrector is not an other way "of cheating" by the cia/fbi and fuck ...
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 14:46 by grml4d » Logged
Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: