April 16, 2024, 15:47
bigger smaller reset     1020px Wide width Full width Reset   * *

Gildor's Forums

Homepage Facebook Read news on Twitter Youtube channel Github page
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

« previous next »
Print
Author Topic: Open psk. & pskx.files through UEViewer?  (Read 20577 times)
Axolotl

View Profile
« on: December 03, 2011, 15:55 »

Gildor, sorry if it was already asked by somenone else...
I think it will be very handy and usefull to make UE Viewer open psk. & pskx. files directly, not only in packages.
I think it will be great if it will open psk's with mat. files and textures if they are in the same folder, maybe apply to them animations if they have the same name and they are in the same folder.

If continue dreaming...  Wink than it will be great to cycle inside Ue Viewer through psk files in folder by some keys.

As i understand, it is not very difficult (i mean, format is already "understandable" by UE Viewer) but will be very usefull...

Good Luck! And thanks for all your work.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 17:57 »

Some people thinking that all data inside packages are in psk and psa formats. That's absolutely wrong. Psk format is not suitable for rendering, also psa format is very ineffective for animation storage. So, everything is stored in very different format, which also varies from engine version and from the game. Umodel performs loading of the package and conversion into the format understandable by animation system used in umodel. When user decided to export these data, umodel performs conversion of data into psk/psa and writting this to files. So, umodel has no support for psk/psa internally.

By the way, psk/psa format is relatively simple for experienced programmer, so anybody could write such tool you're asking for without digging into Unreal's internals.

I see no reason to support viewing of extracted data with umodel. Also you should check SkelEdit project hosted on this site.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 17:59 by gildor » Logged
Axolotl

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 03:02 »

That's a pity.
I don't want to persuade you, you decisions is your decisions, but by the way, about the reason whyt that's useful...hmmm, sometimes packages from games are divided into а lot of differdent packages and absolutley not systematically and sometimes with duplicating meshes inside of them, so that's really hard to find some desired mesh that you need. So extracting them into one or several folders could be usefull if there will be such a tool...+ for the same reason it is necessary sometimes to have two versions of meshes - extracted one and a package, but that's doubles the total size of files on disk.

I looked at SkelEdit, that's good, but it's not commandline so cannot be associated with extension, and as i understand it does not support .pskx files

Anyway, thanks again and thanks for your answer too Smiley
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 10:19 »

sometimes packages from games are divided into а lot of differdent packages and absolutley not systematically and sometimes with duplicating meshes inside of them, so that's really hard to find some desired mesh that you need. So extracting them into one or several folders could be usefull if there will be such a tool...+ for the same reason it is necessary sometimes to have two versions of meshes - extracted one and a package, but that's doubles the total size of files on disk.
try -uncook and -groups options
http://www.gildor.org/smf/index.php/topic,5.45.html
I looked at SkelEdit, that's good, but it's not commandline so cannot be associated with extension
I think command line will be added soon
and as i understand it does not support .pskx files
yes, pskx is not supported, but I will add at least SkeletalMesh pskx soon
cr4zyw3ld3r

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 04:21 »

I found it easier to open the pskx files in autodesk max with Gildor's actorx importer, then extracting the model as a .psk(Actor-X exporter plugin from EPIC) and re-importing into either Unreal ED, UDK or UE Viewer  Wink, just remember that sometimes the model is not fully complete, you might need to attach certain parts of it to the mesh in Autodesk, there are tutorials on this site for other 3d programs and how to import the files
Axolotl

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 15:32 »

I found it easier to open the pskx files in autodesk max with Gildor's actorx importer, then extracting the model as a .psk(Actor-X exporter plugin from EPIC) and re-importing into either Unreal ED, UDK or UE Viewer  Wink, just remember that sometimes the model is not fully complete, you might need to attach certain parts of it to the mesh in Autodesk, there are tutorials on this site for other 3d programs and how to import the files

You call it easier? No i was talking about the possibility to fast view psk,pskx files the way similiar you view the pictures by some viewer, binding the extension to a tool and opening them just pressing on files.
It's not to directly work with them, it's to fast find something that you need amongst the hundreds of files (sometimes, this is really problem), when you find waht you need it's not a problem anymore to import it to max or whatever. For now, the best (not the ideal) way i found is making screenshots for every object, but this way you can only view the flat pictures, and cannot rotate them.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 15:34 by Axolotl » Logged
cr4zyw3ld3r

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2012, 03:59 »

yeah I see what you are saying, I never had issues with finding textures or animation files for .pskx, but maybe you are talking about sifting through for a specific file type. and Yes I agree being able to view them would be a big advantage
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2012, 12:27 »

Psk is a relatively simple format, so such viewer could be made be aderage-level programmer having basic 3D skills. I have no time to write (and support) such program by myself. Also I can note that I'm very rarely using umodel as exporter,
Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: