April 17, 2024, 03:54
bigger smaller reset     1020px Wide width Full width Reset   * *

Gildor's Forums

Homepage Facebook Read news on Twitter Youtube channel Github page
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

« previous next »
Print
Author Topic: Help with game translation  (Read 59926 times)
Rapid

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2009, 19:00 »

So, you can't help me in this?
I found all the *_LOC_INT.upk files, what I need to localize.
If you check the Max_A1_CH1_LOC_INT.upk file, and unpack it, you can find a piece of the subtitles, what I need to localize, but I cannot put it back to the game.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2009, 22:21 »

You should check Epic's forums for localization techniques for UT3 (UT3 modding community). People from these forums really may help you.
I think some total conversions for UT3 has localization, so this problem should be already solved.
Rapid

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2009, 13:55 »

Hi!
There's no official way to translate the in-game subtitles. You're the only one, who can help me.
If you just say to me that how you extract the upk files, then maybe I can do a packer, or just I can make it with a hexeditor. I'm fine with the second option too, but I need to know, how you can make this

"Yes sir, he's, err, waiting for you down at Patient Handover.Ó gotLre just beQe´id."

to this

"Yes sir, he's, err, waiting for you down at Patient Handover. He got here just before you did."

Please help me!
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2009, 14:09 »

It's possible to decompress packages to allow Hex-editor. I don't know whether official way to do this exists, but creation of such tool is theoretically possible.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2009, 14:15 »

Also it is possible to patch game executable (if it is not protected) to load custom resources (even from text files) instead of packages.
But this work will require a very good programmer with corresponding skills.
Rapid

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2009, 14:42 »

I just need to uncompress the subtitle alone. I mean, when I open the upk file with a hexeditor, and I copying out the subtitle from it, I need to know, how can I "decompress" just this text. Then I can translate it and maybe I can do a "compress" to make the translated text to an acceptable format to put it back with the hexeditor.

I'm not thinking of the length of the text yet. I just need a way to edit the upk's subtitles in hexeditor what the game can use.

I tried translate the text before. I opened the package with hexeditor, translated the text, and saved it. But the game was crashed.  Embarrassed Because I couldn't compress the text, and the game needs it on the way it was. I was tried translate the "readable" part of the subtitles, the special characters stay intact, and it worked. But that's not an option.

Sorry for this explanation, but I cannot explain it otherwise. Smiley Maybe you understand it.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2009, 15:16 »

Sorry for this explanation, but I cannot explain it otherwise. Smiley Maybe you understand it.
I understand you.

It is not possible to decompress part of data. All data should be decompressed.
You cannot modify compressed block, even when part of it is readable. That's because compression usually uses checksum to verify data.
It is possible to convert compressed package to uncompressed one, which can be loaded into a game - UE3 uses transparent compression, i.e. game don't know that packages are compressed.

Patching game executable has one advantage: modified data can be of any length.
Rapid

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2009, 15:26 »

It is possible to convert compressed package to uncompressed one, which can be loaded into a game - UE3 uses transparent compression

That's what I'm looking for. Smiley

Patching executable it's too risky. One byte and anything can happen.  Grin

Do you know, how to make uncompressed packages? Or any idea?
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2009, 19:55 »

Patching executable it's too risky. One byte and anything can happen.  Grin
Depends of programmer's qualification.
Do you know, how to make uncompressed packages? Or any idea?
IMHO I can create such tool. No other ideas.
Rapid

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2009, 13:39 »

Then please help.
I'm not the only one who wants to translate this game at 100%.
The Turkish translation in progress too by venomtrk.
I think everyone will thank you if you'll make this.
pixellegolas
Sponsor

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2009, 14:46 »

nah i wont thank him because i dont care about translation, a english game is a english game Wink
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2009, 14:52 »

Then please help.
I have no free time Sad
Rapid

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2009, 16:08 »

nah i wont thank him because i dont care about translation, a english game is a english game Wink

Maybe an english game is an english game.
And not everybody speaks english, neither you're.

I'm really sad about that, Gildor.
And you'll have free time someday?
Or maybe you can tell me how can I do the "decompressor", because I'm a programmer too, but I didn't spend too much time to analyze file formats. Not my speciality. But if you tell me the algorithm, I think I can do it.
pixellegolas
Sponsor

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2009, 19:22 »

sorry, was trying to be funny but did not come out like that maybe. i have full respect that people dont know english and want it translated, I just stated that I don't care about it Wink
venomtrk

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2009, 15:51 »

Hi there.

I need to change in-game dialog subtitles. I can extract UPK files but can not repack them. I need to edit UPK files for changing in-game dialog language.

I translated Map & objectives, cutscenes, character bios, amadeus arkham , menu  to Turkish Language... But in-game subtitles no way....

Here is my work...

http://forum.donanimhaber.com/m_34541752/tm.htm

need help for %100 translation...
Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: