March 19, 2024, 10:49
bigger smaller reset     1020px Wide width Full width Reset   * *

Gildor's Forums

Homepage Facebook Read news on Twitter Youtube channel Github page
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

« previous next »
Print
Author Topic: Automate maxscript importActorX\exportFBX  (Read 22301 times)
Dijon

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2019, 21:03 »

This is a bit of an old post, but my question is similar so I thought I'd keep the material together.

Currently, ActorX can load only one psa (animation) file at a time and, thus, can only convert one psa to fbx at a time. Are you aware of a method to batch convert the psa files, in the same manner as the psk/pskx files? Thanks.
san
Silver Sponsor

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2019, 21:43 »

I use Blender to import the files so my knowledge of max import is a bit limited...
However can't you 'append' more than one animation to the model opened in UE Viewer? In that case the resulting PSA file will have multiple animations and when you open that single file in Max you will get all the animations in a single import.

This is a bit of an old post, but my question is similar so I thought I'd keep the material together.

Currently, ActorX can load only one psa (animation) file at a time and, thus, can only convert one psa to fbx at a time. Are you aware of a method to batch convert the psa files, in the same manner as the psk/pskx files? Thanks.
Dijon

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2019, 01:30 »

I'm using a student version of 3ds Max, but I'm not a 3d modeller. I use Gildor's ActorX script for the meshes, but for the animation  you can only have one loaded at a time (i.e. if I try to add a second psa, it just replaces the first. I'm playing around with Jedi Fallen Order and each psa file only represents one fbx file (the norm with UE4) so there are a LOT of files. It can be done one at a time, but it will take a very (very) long time. Thanks for the suggestion though
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2019, 09:09 »

As san said, if you'll export animations from "viewer" mode (not pressing "export" button in package explorer), all animations will be bundled into a single psa file. It is just impossible at the moment to bundle them in "batch" move which you're using now, so every animation is separate psa.
Dijon

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2019, 05:09 »

I tried what you suggested but it doesn't work. I tried opening one animation in the viewer, going back to the package explorer and adding the remaining animations from the current folder to the open object. I also tried selecting all of the animations in a package and opening all of them in the viewer, but that doesn't work either. At best, I can only export single animations to a psa file. Any idea what step I'm missing?
Juso3D

Welcome to Gildor Forums

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2019, 06:56 »

Are you loading them into a mesh or just by the animations files by themselves?

Blender + Linux User Here.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2019, 09:25 »

I tried what you suggested but it doesn't work. I tried opening one animation in the viewer, going back to the package explorer and adding the remaining animations from the current folder to the open object. I also tried selecting all of the animations in a package and opening all of them in the viewer, but that doesn't work either. At best, I can only export single animations to a psa file. Any idea what step I'm missing?
Did you see my recent video - https://youtu.be/rew3u9eUucg ?
It shows many things, including different approaches for working with animations.
san
Silver Sponsor

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2019, 13:21 »

Two ways of exporting that I sue:
1. Find the animation folder specific to a mesh, in 'UE browser...select all individual animations, click on Export button. This will give individual .psa files for each of the animations

2. Open the mesh that I want in UE viewer...find animations from browser, instead of Export, click on 'Open' drop down, choose 'Append' this will then append all the animations onto the mesh. You can see the number of animations at the bottom left corner. Now hit 'Ctrl+X'. this will give a .psa file with all the animations currently appended to the mesh. This is probably what you want. As now in Blender or Max you can just open the single .psa and see all the animations in one go.

Note: One difference is where the .psa file is store. Method 1, all .psa files go into the same folder structure as you see in UE Viewer. Method 2, as far as I can see the single .psa file will go into the same folder where the skeletal mesh is imported to. So make sure you check in the right places.

Hope this helps..Also watch the tutorial from Gildor. It gives quite an in-depth walkthrough of features and common issues that ppl face.

Cheers

Dijon

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2019, 05:19 »

Thank you both so much for your help. san, I was following the same process as your #2, but I wasn't loading a mesh first. When I did that everything worked perfectly. Awesome support in these forums.
Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: