March 28, 2024, 23:46
bigger smaller reset     1020px Wide width Full width Reset   * *

Gildor's Forums

Homepage Facebook Read news on Twitter Youtube channel Github page
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

« previous next »
Print
Author Topic: Problems with texturing models... Please Help  (Read 3784 times)
kingfisher13
« on: January 05, 2011, 01:46 »

Hey,
I have been using umodel to convert mass effect 2 models into 3ds max...
Everything works okay, but the textures come out with a blue tinge. Can someone help me fix this?
Thanks
cleodj
L2tool User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 00:41 »

maybe RGB colors are switched Wink
try to fix then at photoshop in RGB channels.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 00:44 »

You are not right. Mass Effect (and some other games) has baked a few monochrome textures (like opacity mask, specularity mask etc) into a single texture to reduce usage of the video memory.
kingfisher13
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 19:50 »

That makes sense... how do I fix this, so I can see only the correct colors? I know it is possible, I have seen screenshots of other people's work, in which they were able to come out with perfectly textured models. Any ideas?
Thanks
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 19:56 »

I don't know wether it is possible to map specific texture color channel as opacity etc in 3ds Max. But anyway - you should do this work "by hands", there is no way to make it automatically (like does for other games which do not use such tricks).
kingfisher13
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 19:18 »

I see... how would I do it by hand? I don't really know what the texture looked like originally, so I can't edit it without having a way to strip out the different layers...
SLI_Fallen
Silver Sponsor

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 17:17 »

All he is talking about is playing with the color balance/saturation. Photoshop can do this. Since that specific "Hue" is baked onto the texture file..your going to have to isolate that color and remove it as best you can. It's not going to be perfect as when you do, if that color (or hue) is present in the texture ITSELF..it's going to make things WORSE.
So, in a nutshell, there is no "magic bullet" thats going to make the texture right again..and NO TEXTURE EVER IN A GAME (that I ever saw, and i've seen lots of asset files!) has its original (photoshop) layering present. There is no point to this from the game developers perspective. Good luck!
Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: