March 28, 2024, 19:19
bigger smaller reset     1020px Wide width Full width Reset   * *

Gildor's Forums

Homepage Facebook Read news on Twitter Youtube channel Github page
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

« previous next »
Print
Author Topic: What 3D app imports Psk/Psa ?  (Read 20210 times)
NullReferenceException
« on: June 28, 2009, 01:53 »

Milkshape does not import the psa files correctly ( for GOW1 at least ), so the animations are buggy.

Is there any other program that can import them?

Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 02:12 »

There are 2 pinned threads on this forum with answer to your question (importing unreal meshes to Max):
http://www.gildor.org/smf/index.php?topic=57.0
and
http://www.gildor.org/smf/index.php?topic=87.0
NullReferenceException
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 03:17 »

Yeah I know i've read those.

The problem with the tutorial is that it use's milkshape, which does not seem to import the psa animations correctly

And the problem with the -md5 is that it separates the animations into smaller clips, instead of one big one.

The GOW humans have over 300 animations, which equals 300 separate clips. And the only way I have been able to import them is to, run the md5Importer script, save the animation as a .xaf file, repeat for each animation, and then load all the xaf files individually into another max file.

So I was just asking if there is an alternative, truespace supposedly has a psk/psa importer, but I have not gotten it to work yet.
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 03:25 »

I don't know other alternatives.
Anyway, 3dsmax md5importer is a script, which can be modified for any user's needs.
DAVID NAJAR

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 14:02 »

Hi, you can use a little PSA tool I’ve made, in fact I wrote it for GOW. The problem with MilkShape 1.8.4 is that animation import is at fixed frame rate (30 by default) and animations inside PSA files may have different frame rates.

Open my tool, open your target PSK file (mesh), open one or many PSA files , “Add Animations(s)” to make one combined file, set all animations FPS  to 30 and “Save PSA File…”.

Open Milkshape, import the same PSK file first, then the new PSA file and that’s all, works fine with GOW1 and GOW2.

DN UnPSA Toolkit v0.38b download

I hope this help you.

Have a nice day.
NullReferenceException
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 13:22 »

@David

Thanks alot man I appreciate it, but I had a problem exporting with your toolkit.

When I export the PSA from your program and load it up in milkshape, the animations work correctly, but the models head is squished into a ball.

What could be causing this?
DAVID NAJAR

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 11:55 »

Hi,

I forgot told you about skip or delete extra bones on PSK file (face bones) not present in the PSA file. You have two options, the easy one: uncheck in the export bones list all face bones (index 57-89 Marcus CamSkel PSK), this works but with little issues on the face in Milkshape (this is a problem only with Milkshape PSK/PSA importer not mine), the second, the best but longer is reasign all face bones vertices to the head bone then delete all face bones, you can do it with Fragmotion 0.9.6, I let you a guide I use:

IN MILKSHAPE 3D IMPORT PSK FILE, REASSIGN TEXTURES, RENAME MATERIALS AND GROUPS, SAVE TO MILKSHAME (:p) FILE FORMAT MS3D.

IN FRAGMOTION OPEN MS3D FILE AND CLEAN SKELATAL (DELETE UNUSED BONES).

TO REASSIGN VERTEX FROM ONE BONE TO ANOTHER, SELECT THE SOURCE BONE THEN "SELECT VERTICES ASSIGNED TO BONE" OR "SELECT VERTICES ASSIGNED TO BRANCH" (IT'S IMPORTANT THAT VERTICES YOU WANT TO TRANFER FOR ONE BONE TO ANOTHER BE SELECTED), SELECT THE TARGET BONE THEN IN "ASSIGN SELECTED VERTICES TO BONE" (CTRL-B), SELECT ADVANCED AND CHECK "SHOW HIGHLIGHTED VERTICES" BOX JUST TO SEE THE VERTICES AFECTED, CHECK "VERTEX IS INFLUENCED BY" BOX. SELECT IN THE LIST A BONE YOU WANT TO TRANFER ITS WEIGHTS TO THE TARGET BONE AND PRESS THE LITTLE "SET BUTTON" NEXT TO THE TARGET BONE (NOT THE "SET" BIG BUTTON). THEN REPEAT THIS OPERATION ON EACH BONE IN THE LIST YOU WANT TO TRANFER ITS WEIGHTS

AFTER TRANSFER ALL BONE WEIGHTS YOU CAN DELETE THE SOURCE BONES.

EXPORT THE FILE TO MS3D FORMAT.

In Milkshape export this file as PSK and then use my tool.

Im going to change my app later to omit bones not present on animations by default.

You can check PSK PSA skeletal mismatches with my app on the "PSK/PSA Bones Tree" button.

Hope this help.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 12:43 by DAVID NAJAR » Logged
esr911
Silver Sponsor

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2009, 22:07 »

Hi, you can use a little PSA tool I’ve made, in fact I wrote it for GOW. The problem with MilkShape 1.8.4 is that animation import is at fixed frame rate (30 by default) and animations inside PSA files may have different frame rates.

Open my tool, open your target PSK file (mesh), open one or many PSA files , “Add Animations(s)” to make one combined file, set all animations FPS  to 30 and “Save PSA File…”.

Open Milkshape, import the same PSK file first, then the new PSA file and that’s all, works fine with GOW1 and GOW2.

DN UnPSA Toolkit v0.38b download

I hope this help you.

Have a nice day.

Dude I have to tell you, I have been looking for a tool like yours for years. I am so happy that you made this. I would like to check out your other projects if you have a website.

..:: ESR ::..
DAVID NAJAR

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2009, 13:09 »

Dude I have to tell you, I have been looking for a tool like yours for years. I am so happy that you made this. I would like to check out your other projects if you have a website.

Hi esr911!

Thanks, is too glad to know that this little tool is useful to you, and really the happiness is all mine.

I'm a multimedia developer and this stuff kind is just for hobby and learning purpose on my spare time. I don't have yet a website related to this but probably in the near future I'll have one, meanwhile I'm going to post in this great forum (thanks to genius Gildor, you and its community) my modest contribution (tools and help) as much as I can.

Now I'm researching and coding, over the same PSA toolkit, options to mirror and transpose animations. I also coded a PSK importer for XNA (no animations implemented yet).

If you are intrested in these or other features please let me know. 

Again, thanks for your comments and interest.

Have a nice day.

DN
chrrox
Silver Sponsor

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2009, 03:25 »

That would be epic if you could release the source code when you post the xna tool.
I am trying to find good coding for xna in regards for model viewers that use custom formats.
I wish you the best of luck with this.
esr911
Silver Sponsor

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2009, 05:28 »

Hi esr911!

Thanks, is too glad to know that this little tool is useful to you, and really the happiness is all mine.

I'm a multimedia developer and this stuff kind is just for hobby and learning purpose on my spare time. I don't have yet a website related to this but probably in the near future I'll have one, meanwhile I'm going to post in this great forum (thanks to genius Gildor, you and its community) my modest contribution (tools and help) as much as I can.

Now I'm researching and coding, over the same PSA toolkit, options to mirror and transpose animations. I also coded a PSK importer for XNA (no animations implemented yet).

If you are intrested in these or other features please let me know.  

Again, thanks for your comments and interest.

Have a nice day.

DN

I think we have many common interests. My current project is converting ALL the animation for Damnation and models and everything I can so I can use them in Maya and MotionBuilder. I have actually finished. I am researching a way I can extract StaticMesh from Damnation and maps. I want to be able to re-create the full assets in Maya and Motionbuilder.

Regards to XNA. I have alll the animation already in FBX and it can be easily imported in XNA, if you have the coding. Also if you know how to create Shaders in XNA, I have determined most if not all the maps for Maya for Damnation and the renders look very nice, even with software render.

In Motionbuilder the Animation is already mapped to a generic rig, and can easily be transfered to any other model. I have a little problem with copying the animation from the Index finger to middle finger, and from ring finger to pinky, as Damnation only uses 2 chains of bones. If someone could help me out, that would be great.

When done I will Move To Huxely, I would like to convert all the UT3 Game assets, to Maya and Motionbuilder Smiley

Dude you have no Idea how much your tool is a godsend to me.
..:: ESR911::..
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 05:31 by esr911 » Logged
Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: