Gildor's Forums

Author Topic: Old md5 plugin  (Read 6479 times)
pixellegolas
Sponsor

View Profile
Old md5 plugin
« on: July 07, 2009, 00:55 »

Does anyone have an older version of the md5 plugin for max?

The one I have now does some weird stuff to the models so when I import them into my engine they don't work anymore. Before it was flawless
esr911
Silver Sponsor

View Profile
Re: Old md5 plugin
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 05:18 »

Does anyone have an older version of the md5 plugin for max?

The one I have now does some weird stuff to the models so when I import them into my engine they don't work anymore. Before it was flawless

Yeah, I have an old one PM, and I'll either email it to you, or Skype you.

..:: ESR911 ::..
pixellegolas
Sponsor

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 10:10 »

Thanks, I aldready recieved one and it seems it was not the plugin that was the problem. Thank you anyway esr Smiley
pixellegolas
Sponsor

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 14:15 »

hm, I have no idea what is happening now but when I open a L2 model in max and then export to .fbx and then into my engine it pops up a new error saying that there are to many bones per sub-object.

Before I could import any model into my engine and it didn't complain anything. I wonder if the md5 importer has done any change to models when it comes to sub-objects etc
pixellegolas
Sponsor

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 19:14 »

Ok here is the reason why I started this thread:

I have a engine called gamecore that can import fbx with animations directly. There has never been any problem when exporting from max and opening in gamecore.

Recently I updated max from max 2008 to max 2009, I also updated fbx exporter etc.

Now, when I export a md5 model from max to fbx I get alot of errors in gamecore.

After this I ran max 2008 again, alot of different fbx exporters etc. I also tried the old md5 import script in max because maybe it was strange. But still all error occur.

I have tried basically everything but still get error in gamecore.

BUT, the strange thing is if I export old models to fbx gamecore accept without problem. This I think exclude max and fbx exporter, because they work. It also excludes md5 plugin because I get same error no matter if I use old or new script.

I believe something has happened in newer umodel converter.

The error I am getting in gamecore is like this

"you have to many bones per sub-object. You can max have 60 bones per sub-object."

I know that md5 meshes basically is one mesh instead of sub-meshes. Could this be the problem and has it changed since before?
Gildor
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 22:32 »

Sometimes people named "submeshes" a part of model with a different mapped material.
It looks like your problem is with game engine limitations.
UE3 have (almost) no limitations for bone counts.
pixellegolas
Sponsor

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 20:56 »

does someone know how to break up a model in sub-meshes and keep bones? I think my engine wants the different parts not one part like the md5 keeps it now.
esr911
Silver Sponsor

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 04:07 »

does someone know how to break up a model in sub-meshes and keep bones? I think my engine wants the different parts not one part like the md5 keeps it now.

Yeah, in Maya you do what's called an "extract" (Polygons -> Mesh -> Extract) it will break up the mesh in many other parts. then you can use "combine" (Polygons -> Mesh -> Combine) to at the parts together. Make sure that you Freeze transformation and delete history when done. Rename Mesh when done if you wish.

I hope that helps
..:: ESR911::..
pixellegolas
Sponsor

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 20:50 »

well in max you have detach but i dont know if it keeps the skinning and bones. i am not by my comp so i am asking now until i sit Smiley
esr911
Silver Sponsor

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2009, 05:58 »

well in max you have detach but i dont know if it keeps the skinning and bones. i am not by my comp so i am asking now until i sit Smiley

In Maya you can easily attach the same bones and weighting from the original mesh to your cut mesh, check out the vids at Autodesk maya: http://download.autodesk.com/us/maya/videos/5_mk8_Web_Rig.mov (I have no idea how to do the same in max)

I hope this helps

Teoma

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2009, 19:20 »

Max can't do the same thing  Embarrassed
esr911
Silver Sponsor

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2009, 03:40 »

PM me the original mesh, and the cut mesh, and I will apply the bones and weighting for you.

pixellegolas
Sponsor

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2009, 17:02 »

well when i am back at my comp in 2 weeks I will do some tests and hope you can help me Smiley thanks
Jump to: